Sign in to follow this  

vPod Questions

Hey all,

Just picked up the 60GB today... yes, I know you all hate me. Few questions:

1) Can you run the iPod sync using firewire? USB BLOWS on speed.

2) What's the deal with handbrake? Does it work? The file compresses but I have yet to sync it.

- MT

Hey,

Handbrake is supposed to work but I still don't have a new iPod yet so I don't honestly know. It's rumored to be the best, I guess I will find out next week... I have Podner which looks good, might be worth checking out.

USB only for the new iPods, no FireWire and no suprise. What are you sinking with and what kind of speeds are you getting?

Also, did you stick with your U2/Nano black? I need a color opinion...

macworld.com did a test on usb 2 vs firewire 400 usb 2 was slower by about 11 sec.

macworld.com did a test on usb 2 vs firewire 400 usb 2 was slower by about 11 sec.

If you have USB 2.0 then the speeds are pretty close to FireWire 400, I was hoping they'd go the FireWire 800 route for the new iPods, but alas, no such luck.

I have USB 2.0 on my PowerBook, but not on my AGP/G4 and it sucks!! (on USB 1.1)

roog

I have USB 2.0 on my PowerBook, but not on my AGP/G4 and it sucks!!  (on USB 1.1)

Man, that sucks. I don't suppose you have an external HDD rather than storing on your G4? Or do you store on your Powerbook?

I really never understood the big compaint about transfer speeds and people wanting firewire. USB os close, but obviously never comes out as fast. But you really onyl do one big transfer when u first get the iPod. Everything else is just little updates as you add or delete stuff here and there.

Even with the new video (which obviously will take a while to transfer 60gigs worth of video), i dont see it as a big deal. Especially when compared to the times people are seeing when it comes to ripping, and comverting to the iPod resolution. In the end, i dont see it as a big deal to plug it in, walk away for 2 minutes (which is probably the longest ive ever waited for even a sizable update of media) and come back.

Hey all,

Just picked up the 60GB today... yes, I know you all hate me.  Few questions:

1) Can you run the iPod sync using firewire?  USB BLOWS on speed.

2) What's the deal with handbrake?  Does it work?  The file compresses but I have yet to sync it.

- MT

Why would I hate you? I bought my 60gig almost 3 weeks ago. It would be pretty sad if you bought it for a little ego trip or something. Anyway, on to your questions:

1) No. But USB 2.0 is almost as fast. Chill, man.

2) Yes, it works. I have many DVDs on my iPod that were converted using it.

Stealth,

First it was scarcasm; I didn't buy it for an ego trip. Secondly, thank you for your help.

- MT

I have USB 2.0 on my PowerBook, but not on my AGP/G4 and it sucks!!  (on USB 1.1)

Man, that sucks. I don't suppose you have an external HDD rather than storing on your G4? Or do you store on your Powerbook?

I have twin 300gb drives inside my G4, I keep my library on both the PowerBook and the G4 desktop and I do Retrospect backups on both. I have a lot of pictures of my son when he was born 10 months ago (around 2500) so I am kinda anal about losing anything. :-)

I also send my parents copies of my backups too, hehe.

roog

I really never understood the big compaint about transfer speeds and people wanting firewire.

My complaint is that both of my computers don't have USB 2.0, I just need to find a PCI card for my G4 bottom line, USB 2.0 isn't bad, although I would love for the 5G iPod to have FW800.

roog

I have twin 300gb drives inside my G4, I keep my library on both the PowerBook and the G4 desktop and I do Retrospect backups on both. I have a lot of pictures of my son when he was born 10 months ago (around 2500) so I am kinda anal about losing anything. :-)

I also send my parents copies of my backups too, hehe.

roog

I like this post cause it points out how funny it is that everyone i know who is having kids now has 10 times the pictures my parents have of me because of digital cameras and other technology. And I always use to ask why the kept so many, and they said they just couldnt part with any of them. lol, there are going to be alot of pictures in the world in 10 years.

I really never understood the big compaint about transfer speeds and people wanting firewire.

My complaint is that both of my computers don't have USB 2.0, I just need to find a PCI card for my G4 bottom line, USB 2.0 isn't bad, although I would love for the 5G iPod to have FW800.

roog

i just put a usb 2 card in my old G4 tower, and it works great. cost me all of $20(and thats cause i have no patience and bought it at the apple store). it is well worth it.

i just put a usb 2 card in my old G4 tower, and it works great.  cost me all of $20(and thats cause i have no patience and bought it at the apple store).  it is well worth it.

Which one did you get, I need one of these in a bad way.

roog

dont remember off the top of my head, but it was the only one at the apple store. i will check it out as soon as i can.

Thanks, I looked all over the Apple Store online, and I can't ever find anything I'm looking for on there unless I just look at every single product!

Thanks,

roog

roog, it was the belkin 3 port usb 2 pci card. model # F5U219-APL

check it out at www.belkin.com under apple desktop accessories.

good luck.