Open Letter To Apple: Perfection Isn't Being 80% Done

go to www.versiontracker.com (OSX) and lookup

handbrake

or

video conversion

or

ipod video

or

Any of these will bring up a list of video conversion software.

MacUpdate works quite well as well.

You can get to the creator's website from Versiontracker.

Best Regards,

Rob

Also I do not think that the vPod uses solid state memory.

Personally, I don't think 60 Gb solid state memory is available, and, if it were, it would be cost prohibitive for iPods bigger than Nanos. As solid state memory size increases, so will the max on a Nano.

The other thing people should remember is this is really vPod 1.0. Just like the original, it will get better fairly quickly, though, I, too, fear Firewire support is lost forever. Glad I have a 4th gen that still has FW.

If you are referring to NAND flash memory when you say solid state, then no, 60 gig is definetly not hear. The last announcment was from toshiba as they said they had 16 (might not be for sale yet). I might be posting something completely random, but i havnt heard the term solid state before. But if you are referring to flash memory the vPod is obviously a 60gig HD, not flash.

When I say solid state i will refer to Flash cards, thumb drives etc. I'm not sure about everyonr else but I will assume that.

"Solid State" refers to those types of portable memory that have no moving parts, they are "SOLID" -

Hard Drives are not solid state because (you guessed it) they have moving parts.

:)

-Rob

Don't whine at apple because of the Digital Millennium act.  8)

We aren't whining. We are complaining and RANTING. Whining requires the lack of a real problem and some clear evidence that the apparent problem is actually a good thing. Whining also requires an ear piercing tone...ewww.

My students whine about having too much homework but still manage to run up $1000.00 cell phone bills talking to their friends for hours.

:wink:

-Rob

Many annoying little ba...er classmates text message during class. And afterschool, all hell breaks loose.

I have a Windows machine, and my iPod is connected via firewire.

My HP Pavilion has 2 firewire ports, so firewire isn't exclusivly a mac thing.

It seems apple is being nasty to their loyal customers.

Anyone remember when the shuffle came out, that it didn't fit in the eMac USB ports?

hmm.

All i have to say is, i think alot of people would rather the iPods be smaller than have firewire. Thats the major tradeoff. So, if you really want firewire and dont care if your ipod stays the same size as the old ones, then write apple and tell them about it.

Same here inis, Its not the end of the world for me if i don't get firewire. But for some it hurts and I hear ya.

I have a Windows machine, and my iPod is connected via firewire.  

My HP Pavilion has 2 firewire ports, so firewire isn't exclusivly a mac thing.

It seems apple is being nasty to their loyal customers.

Anyone remember when the shuffle came out, that it didn't fit in the eMac USB ports?  

hmm.

Also my old Dell has 3 firewire ports.

(That might be the only good thing about it!)

Apple also dropped firewire so it was the same size of the regular iPods so Apple wouldn't have to redo a new dock and manufactuers would have to put out new ones which would take a couple a weeks ( or less).

I think removing firewire was a good design deceision. The firewire support required it's own microchip, ipod's with firewire have a firewire microchip! That takes up room on the board and uses power.... and costs more.

It's obvious why it was taken out of the nano at least, allowed a smaller board. And the video, well I don't think firewire is that important, all new macs have USB2, and older ones will still work, with USB 1.1 which is 1mbyte/sec, whcih isn't too bad, your typical song is 3MB. I mean really, for 1 album that's what, 1 minute? Not too long to wait.

That would take say 10 minutes on USB 1.1, that's usable.

Man, this is STILL going on? Wow...

- MT

Man, this is STILL going on? Wow...

- MT

We can make it stop. Lets discuss how crappy Sony MP3 are..... :twisted:

OH, used the demon smiley.........

What they removed from the vPod:

FireWire. This is a problem because even with the "high speed" USB 2.0 ports at "480 MB a second" are much, much slower than the "400 MB a second" FireWire ports. This technically has something to do with the "peer-to-peer" transfer system of FireWire making it faster in practice. Anyway, USB 2.0 is only 12 MB/second, and only a few computers have "High-Speed" USB 2.0, at the "480 MB/second."

The charger. They already dropped the FireWire cable from the later versions that could use it. A long time ago they dropped the dock... I hate that they keep taking away hardware.

The remote port!!! You can't use any of the voice recorders or laser pointers or anything that could be used with the other iPods... you can't even use the iTrips! I never liked the iTrips due to the large battery usage, but some people used them. I always used the Monster Cable that used the dock port anyway, but they really should have the Remote port.

I agree with the DVD burining point.

It would be a great step towards mobile video. it would also be able to 'reward' people who have purchased the legal DVD.

It is a troubling situation that people who have purchased coprighted material are being punished.

People who bought Sony audio CDs are having malware installed on their computer, people who buy DVDs have to put up with trailers, people who buy software have to have it 'authorised' and people who buy protected audio files are punished by restrictions on the types of device on which they can play their music.

It is a sick situation that those who download material don't have to suffer with any of these restrictions.

I believe that the reason why Apple's iTunes Music Store has been so popular is that the user experience is so seamless.

(Oh and the reason they took out firewire support was to make it thinner - no more or less complicated than that)

FireWire. This is a problem because even with the "high speed" USB 2.0 ports at "480 MB a second" are much, much slower than the "400 MB a second" FireWire ports. This technically has something to do with the "peer-to-peer" transfer system of FireWire making it faster in practice. Anyway, USB 2.0 is only 12 MB/second, and only a few computers have "High-Speed" USB 2.0, at the "480 MB/second."

That's not true at all. http://www.barefeats.com/usb2.html

This url quite effectly shows that USB2 is as fast as firewire 400 under windows but the OSX drivers for it are inefficient. But this was in 2004 with panther, situation might have improved today.