Sign in to follow this  
inis

How will Intel affect Xserve

Anyone heard any rumors or plans for the Xserves when the intel switch comes about. Just curious.

Well the Xserve raid is technically already intel inside but that was way before the annoucement. When they will do xserve it self i have no idea. But we can guess that their will be an Intel Xserve of some sort.

However their is some speculations that Apple may keep the Xserve with the G5 to keep the sciencetiffic community happy and maybe introduce another server with a Pentium chip in? Or stick with the G5 only? Their is a lot of speculation it looks at this time nobody quite knows. But with the heat of the science community i dont think the server will be the first to change, if Apple does decide to completely ditch the G5 server then they will need a chip to convience majority of its server customers...

cool. thanks. my knowledge of these types of products and the people that use them is extremely limited.

Well the Xserve raid is technically already intel inside but that was way before the annoucement. When they will do xserve it self i have no idea. But we can guess that their will be an Intel Xserve of some sort.

However their is some speculations that Apple may keep the Xserve with the G5 to keep the sciencetiffic community happy and maybe introduce another server with a Pentium chip in? Or stick with the G5 only? Their is a lot of speculation it looks at this time nobody quite knows. But with the heat of the science community i dont think the server will be the first to change, if Apple does decide to completely ditch the G5 server then they will need a chip to convience majority of its server customers...

In what way did they have Intels?

It uses Intel's IOP 331 chip, a derivative of the XScale processor.

So no its not a funky brand that you see on the TV but it is technically made by intel. Remember this is for Xserve Raid, the current Xserve is a G5 however.

Intel have some really nice server processors, in both the xeon and the itanium. Considering HP sell itanium, Dell sells itanium etc etc I would not be surprised if apple followed.

I dont think the scientific community brought the apples because they where powerpc (well some may have but not all). I think it comes down to cost and the software. The Xserve is damm cheaper than most sun machines of its calibur. (thats why sun is selling AMD systems now..)

I agree. But for some high performance community the PPC platform is their fav.

however i think your right apple will follow suit or grab the next big thing intel throw out. Apple server prices and software are extrememly competive for what you get. Consider server software pricing of that Other Company and Apple's. Apple beat on pricing. The bonus is also that it is open source and built on UNIX. I think once Apple get an Xserve Intel version we may see their server market grow. Intel have been leading the server market for ages, why do you think AMD had finally caught up because its big money.

Intel have some really nice server processors, in both the xeon and the itanium. Considering HP sell itanium, Dell sells itanium etc etc I would not be surprised if apple followed.

I dont think the scientific community brought the apples because they where powerpc (well some may have but not all). I think it comes down to cost and the software. The Xserve is damm cheaper than most sun machines of its calibur. (thats why sun is selling AMD systems now..)

The itanium? Oh you mean the itanic (a combination of itanium and Titanic). from what I heard that porcessor sucks.

The xenon is sot of okay though.