Sign in to follow this  
rhatta

Firewire is fast... so what?

My iPod mini transfers files at 30 Mbit/s up or down, on USB 2.0 or Firewire 400. Both connections are fast, but the iPod mini's hardware doesn't seem to be capable of fully uitilising the speedy connection. I wonder how fast are the new iPods? I don't think I've ever seen Apple advertise this spec before, they just say it uses a USB 2.0 connection (Firewire now a separate add-on). The lack of default FireWire support, I admit, is a new problem for users who have a computer that:

* Have FireWire

* Don't have USB 2.0

* Can't be expanded with a USB 2.0 card, AND

* Meets the system requirements for iTunes

But this problem can be solved with a $13.00 or $20.00 device on Apple's web store.

to tell you the truth i use usb 2.0 on my nano and i have no complaints with it whatsoever for it is really fast! I wonder how many people look at usb 2.0 and assume is slow before given it a shot. In speed wise firewire will have the edge but usb 2 was a long leap from usb 1.

Firewire isn't supported at all with iPods, it's not available as a separate add-on, the only thing you can do with Firewire is charge the iPod with the dock connector cable (I have one left over from when I sold my Mini).

roog

Firewire isn't supported at all with iPods, it's not available as a separate add-on, the only thing you can do with Firewire is charge the iPod with the dock connector cable (I have one left over from when I sold my Mini).

roog

Just for the sake of clarification, what you say is true of the new iPods currently being sold by Apple, but there are many iPods out there, including my 60gb iPod Photo, that are less than a year old and certainly do support syncing with iTunes via Firewire. I do it every day.

Two things -

But this problem can be solved with a $13.00 or $20.00 device on Apple's web store.

What device do you reference here, rhatta?

I'm sure Roogie was referring to 5th Gen iPods, but, clarification is always good in such circumstances, Professor.

roog

What do you call my 4G iPod Photo /w firewire charger?! :shock:

Oh... you got spank already. I'll let you go.

Yes, I am talking about those of us lucky enough to have a 5G iPod with Video.

roog

Oops! My mistake. The firewire accessories were only for iPods upto the mini and photo, but not including nano or video. Both USB 2.0 Hi-Speed and FireWire 400 have a limit of about 400 MBit/s, but when I calculate my transfer speed of my iPod mini I get only around 30 MBit/s on average, Firewire or USB. I get this speed by "8 * (bytes transferred) / (seconds to transfer)", and the time it takes to transfer is obtained at the Terminal with the command "time cp (source file) (dest)". Even if Firewire was technically superior to USB 2.0, it doesn't seem like my iPod mini is fast enough to take advantage of that difference.

Firewire was dropped beacuase of portability. Unlees Apple doesn;t make a ridiculously small iPod or one with a camera, we should get Firewire. I use USB 1.1 through my Apple pro keyboard tto my shuffle. Now I would have to get a hub (thanks for the reccomendation Proffessor. :D ) because I am the one that porcrastinates alot. SO When I wake up early i have only little time to trab=nsfer songs.

FireWire and USB2 both have the same average speed... but it takes USB longer to peak in speed. If you are doing a large transfer, it's basically the same. But for short transfers of a few songs, FireWire is faster. Not to mention that a lot of people have FireWire only have USB 1.1. I can tell you a lot of people have been into the Apple Store really upset about the lack of FireWire support.