Sign in to follow this  
shaiboyuk

How to backup/make a image of the ipod?

Hi all,

Well looks like i might need to return my 5th Gen iPod, due to some issues.

Thing is I put all my music on the ipod, then delete it off the PC/Mac. So need to back it up, before returning it.

Ideally, i would like to just make a image of the iPod disk, then when i get my replacment, just restore the image to the new iPod. Can this be done?

After buying this great thing, i'm rather short of cash, so a freeware program would be better. But let me know any program you can think of.

Thanks

Cheers

ShaiboyUK

Hi,

Why is it so risky? A iPod is just like any hard drive space. Yes if you drop it, its not good :oops: but i don't "plan" to drop it (touch wood).

Is there not a version of Ghost or similar software for the Mac? I use Ghost a lot in my job, so a version like that for the Mac would be great, then just close the disk image from the iPod.

Cheers

ShaiboyUK

One thing to note is that External drives have drivers built into them. I know that when I hook my iPod up to my systems, there is no way to see the audio saved on it using iTunes. I would suppose this is due to the driver that Apple would provide on their device. There is probably a way to get around it, but I have not heard of it before. Most people just keep a backup of their music.

One thing to note is that External drives have drivers built into them. I know that when I hook my iPod up to my systems, there is no way to see the audio saved on it using iTunes. I would suppose this is due to the driver that Apple would provide on their device. There is probably a way to get around it, but I have not heard of it before. Most people just keep a backup of their music.

I dont think this is correct. As long as auto-update isnt enabled, when you plug the pod in, you should see a little arrow next to it in iTunes. When you push this, it expands to show you all the music in there broken up by playlists.

Hi,

Why is it so risky?  A iPod is just like any hard drive space.  

That is exactly why it is risky.

There is only one thing that you can be sure of with a hard drive, and that is that it *will* fail.

If you have files you don't want to lose, you should always keep them in more places than just on one hard drive.

I have never met anyone who regretted making a backup.

Hi,

There is only one thing that you can be sure of with a hard drive, and that is that it *will* fail.

If you have files you don't want to lose, you should always keep them in more places than just on one hard drive.

true.

Hi,

Thanks for your comments, I work in IT and know hard drives can fail, but its more how you treat them in the end. I've NEVER personally had a hard drive fail, and those i've fixed have only failed due to the user not treating them correctly.

Anyway this is another reason for the backup/disk image as a backup.

As we are off topic now, can anyone help with a program i can use to make a image of my iPod disk?

Cheers

ShaiboyUK