Sign in to follow this  
roogie

I HATE iTUNES! rant

Ok, here's the deal, I lost all my music when my hard drive crashed a few years ago. I figured since I owned the CDs all I would have to do is re-rip them. Never got around to it, I did recover what I had on my iPod and just went with it.

Now, I have tons of storage, a nice big 5G iPod to store it on, so now I'm getting around to re-ripping those CDs on my shelf.

Here is my issue: I HATE how iTunes becomes the active application when you have it set to Import Songs and Eject, I just want to keep feeding my CDs into my PowerBook, do my other stuff and not be interrupted when I pop in the next CD.

Come on Apple, this is annoying! ;-)

roog

Wow, you should use Windows for a while. You'll come running back to iTunes and it's aggressive active application behavior.

It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't always typing into a forum, an email or something, it always accesses the CDDB right when I'm in the middle of a sentence! :-)

roog

I do understand it's kind of annoying and I completely empahise with you, but remember that iTunes wasn't designed for complete library ripping, only for a CD here and a CD there. It's the control they are trying to give you.

On the flip side, I remember running WMP and not having it "pop-up" and become active, meaning that an hour later I would wonder what was taking so long and I hadn't clicked start/confirmed the CDDB... I'd rather it asked and then actually did it.

you may hate it but is there anything better?

Introducing Bill Gates!

Is there windows 2005 yet? they probably stopped with that because of copyright issues with Madden.

I do understand it's kind of annoying and I completely empahise with you, but remember that iTunes wasn't designed for complete library ripping

I think it's a poor software design, bottom line is that is should be flexible enough to rip an entire library with little user input just as it should ripping 2-3 songs off a CD. The "Import Song and Eject" option is meant for this, but the CDDB lookup screws this up since it makes iTunes active. I only want to know what's going on if there are multiple CD matches or if I am replacing previously imported music.

These are my opinions of course, and since I am almost done with my entire library I'll forget about this soon. :-)

roog

It wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't always typing into a forum, an email or something, it always accesses the CDDB right when I'm in the middle of a sentence!  :-)

roog

yeah, i hate it when the little "Optimizing photos for ipod" box come up and you can't use itunes when its doing it. especially when i put my videos on it. like 10 thousand photos- about 2hrs of itunes lockdown

The average user isn't ripping 100 CDs concurrently into their library, and would like to know when their rip is done so they can sort it into playlists and transfer it to their iPod :) You can't reasonably say that a software product is designed poorly because it doesn't perform one particular function in a way that it isn't done 95% of the time.

I can if that's what I need to do, it should be a user definable parameter.

roog

I think it's all in an effort to keep the software simple. Average Joe would be confused by too many options. They have a little OS called Windows for that :wink:

I think it's all in an effort to keep the software simple. Average Joe would be confused by too many options. They have a little OS called Windows for that  :wink:

Actually, Windows was not simple enough, so they created Microsoft Bob.

Oh, that's classic, haha. Whatever will Microsoft Bill think of next?

Oh wait, that's right. R&D = Rob & Duplicate

Advanced tabs is a good place to hide confusing things from newbies I think. :wink:

Advanced tabs is a good place to hide confusing things from newbies I think. :wink:

A very valid point. Apple's known for steering away from anything that will detract from the user's experience, but I see no harm in having an option such as this in the advanced tab. It is a very niche request, but one that can be useful in the right situation.

I actually don't think it's such a niche request, anyone who's buying a iPod for the first time will want to put any existing music they own onto it, and that usually requires ripping multiple CDs into iTunes. I much prefer the way Windows handles active and inactive Windows, the inactive Window won't bug you, or pop stuff up to annoy you.

Yes, but that doesn't always work. Depends on how well the software is made. Sometimes an inactive window will pop up in your face for a really inane reason. And sometimes an important window that requires user input (like an installation) will stay behind your other windows.