Sign in to follow this  
MacCast

OS X Tiger. Thoughts, impressions, gripes and stuff.

MacCast    80

Hey. Let's discuss all of our impressions, tips, comments, gripes and praises of Apple's latest OS here.

:lol:

yellowbrick    0

A good reason to houseclean your harddrive of any unnnecessary files -- took about 1.5 hrs for Spotlight to index my 30gig powerbook (800mhz); but even while it was doing that I had full access to applications without much performance lag (I was amazed).

Spotlight rocks! it is faaast, just as demonstrated in Steve Jobs' keynote demo. I so far haven't run into any application problems. I did the easy Upgrade option as I've never had any problems using it.

GreenAlien    0

I've just been looking through the quicktime movies of the major new features of Tiger. Think these are new on Apple's site (i havent noticed them before).

Has anyone managed to download/view all of the spotlight demo? I tried twice but it stalled half way through for me both attempts. From the first half it looks really good though.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/spotlight.html

The other movies worked fine and well worth watching...

Expose - The fact that the movie continues playing within Expose is amazing.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/expose.html

Dashboard - shows several widgets in action. very nice eye candy!

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/dashboard.html

Automator - shows quick renaming of several files.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/automator.html

iChat AV - shows 4-way video conference in action.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/ichat.html

Rgds, Ant

madmac    0
I've just been looking through the quicktime movies of the major new features of Tiger. Think these are new on Apple's site (i havent noticed them before).

Has anyone managed to download/view all of the spotlight demo? I tried twice but it stalled half way through for me both attempts. From the first half it looks really good though.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/spotlight.html

The other movies worked fine and well worth watching...

Expose - The fact that the movie continues playing within Expose is amazing.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/expose.html

Dashboard - shows several widgets in action. very nice eye candy!

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/dashboard.html

Automator - shows quick renaming of several files.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/automator.html

iChat AV - shows 4-way video conference in action.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/theater/ichat.html

Rgds, Ant

I've seen all those!

GreenAlien    0
I've seen all those!

So I'll take that as a yes, the spotlight one worked for you.

I've seen several quicktime movies on apples site, but those ones must be recent. I hadn't noticed them before.

Rgds, Ant

madmac    0

Yes, all of them worked fine. I thought they were very cool :!:

jorellh    0

Tiger's got a bunch a neat new features for geeks, but most people will see it as Panther + Spotlight + Quicktime 7 + Dashboard. I'm just saying this is how a general user will notice the difference. I'm not sure if it is worth it for them.

I'm still trying to get iSync to launch... .Mac sync works fine. I'm thinking of backing up and performing a clean install.

Er.Mu    0
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D . I got Tiger this afternoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!. :x :x :x :x . But my iBook is still at the depot!!!!! :x :evil:

madmac    0

To install Tiger I'm going to make a backup of my entire 30 gb hard drive on a 60 gb external drive, then perform an archive and install, but insted of wasting my precious space on my internal drive, I'll move the archived old system folder to the 60 gb external. Does anyone know of any reason why that won't work :?:

therookery    0

I got Tiger about 9 hours ago and it installed beautifully and very quicly on my 20" iMac G5. I've had a HUGE smile on my face all day - like a kid with a new toy.

It took Mail quite a while to import my 78000 emails (I run a web business so get a LOT of emails) but apart from that it was perfect. Spotlight indexed my Mac very quickly and has been very useful since....great to be able to find things you did ages ago very quickly.

madmac    0

I already use Finder's search feature to find things rather than navigating through folders, so Spotlight will be awesome for me :!:

Danny    0

yes, my install went beautifully.

it took my eMac 30 min. to install, 13 min to cover 50 gigs.

I got a free iWork Trial in my Box!!

yay!

goodness Spotlight is worth the price of admission by itself.

man...

if you own tiger, empty your trash, theres a new sound!

to be honest, Tiger is amazing, but I am surprised by the lack of GUI changes.

there is a lot of amazing things, but they aren't readily apparent.

Spotlight maintains a tiny icon, and dashboard aint even there.

so if a PC user used Tiger they'd have no benefit.

The testament to Apple's brilliance is that the interface is so similar--- it already was good.

I do have some things to mention.

1. you can add folders to your Spotlight "Do not display" option in the Spotlight prefs, so you can put your sensitive data in there. Nothing worse then trying to show a family member spotlight by typing in their name and having a picture of them with a bad hair day pop up! :? :?

2. In the demo for Spotlight, Steve Jobs grabbed a widget and put it on the desktop. THere was a ripple effect. I don't have it, is that because my graphics card doesn't support Core Image, Video? Maybe someone with a G5 could test that?

All in all TIger is amazing. simply brilliant.

edit:

wow. its the little things that make Apple different from Microsoft.

In the Clock widget, the second hand wiggles after ticking just like a real clock.

wow.

Danny    0

Oh darn. I guess that means my eMac doesn't support Core Stuff.

Oh well, theirs enough eye candy to dazzle any PC fanboy without it.

(Hold shift when you activate Dasboard, or when dragging a new widget on)

Julianne    0

I installed Tiger last night on my G4 800mhz iMac. I wanted to do an erase and install but my education copy of MS Office X has used up its three installs, so I would a have been without Word which would not go over around here. I ended up doing an archive and install.

It installed very quickly. Excited and nervous at the same time, I had to calm myself with some compulsive housecleaning while it loaded. Right about the time it booted up, the Dodgers went ahead with a grand slam (yay) so I had double happiness.

The only glitch I had was that my Epson printer wouldn't print. I had selected not to install the printer drivers because I didn't want hundreds of them on my computer. i went to the Apple site and very quickly found some info that said that I could install them from the DVD without even rebooting. I did that and now it works great. There are new printing features that I need to explore.

I could barely sleep last night because I wanted to stay up all night playing with my new system. This was a double upgrade for me because I never installed Panther. Not only do i have Spotlight and Dashboard to play with, but I have Expose and (most importantly because we share), Fast User Switching.

MS Office X (not 2004) works, my iPod works, the Epson 820 works. So far so good.

jorellh    0

I fixed my iSync by wiping and installing clean. Now my x800 with firmware ver 107 gave me a headache, had to flash it back to 104. All seems well now.

yellowbrick    0

I just did the Tiger upgrade on my G5 (smooth, 1.5 completion time). I checked Apple forums and see a thread running about mounting Maxtor firewire external drives -- I haven't mounted my external drives yet. Anyone having problems with external firewire connectivity?

max    0

Ok, I did an archive installation of Tiger after backing up everything to an external drive. All is well, that is apart from QuickTime 7. When watching certain movies either online or from my hard disk I get video but no audio. I have been lead to believe this might have something to do with the audio of the movies being 22.050 kHz (mono) or 32 kHz (mono)

Can anyone help me out?

Appreciated -Max :?

Danny    0

weird...

all i can say is do the regular: toss the QT prefs, fix disk permissions, reboot while holding commnad-option-p-r (let it ding 3X)

Did QuickTime come on Tiger, or did you download it, or was it a upgrade from Panther QT 7?

max    0
weird...

all i can say is do the regular: toss the QT prefs, fix disk permissions, reboot while holding commnad-option-p-r  (let it ding 3X)

Did QuickTime come on Tiger, or did you download it, or was it a upgrade from Panther QT 7?

Thanks Danny,

I installed QT7 as part of Tiger, and I have tried your suggestions,

I now think this problem could be to do with my Motu 828 mkII firewire audio devise drivers (still related to mono 22.050 kHz/32 kHz issues)

I have reinstalled the drivers, but no joy. I will dig a little further in to this and

post results.

Thanks -Max

argonian    0

Gripe:

Some widgets (Weather, Phonebook) don't work for Canadian locations.

Bummer. Just have to make my own i guess :)

rae    0
Some widgets (Weather, Phonebook) don't work for Canadian locations.

I agree that phonebook is US-only, but the weather widget works fine for Canadian cities. When you turn the widget around and enter "Vancouver", for example, then ya, it will default to Vancouver WA in the US. However, if you hit return after entering a possibly ambiguous name, it will bring up a popup menu from which you can select the correct city (e.g. Vancouver, BC).

2005-05-ww-1.png

It could be that your town is not in the list, in which case try a bigger town or city nearby. For instance, Thorold, ON isn't in the list, but St. Catherines (right next door) is.

Btw, it also seems to do quite a few other countries!

2005-05-ww-2.png

rae    0

I've copied this from my blog entry on updating to Tiger.

So it took 28 minutes and 46 seconds to upgrade my G5 to Mac OS X Tiger. I had a few hiccups along the way to actually starting the upgrade.

At the install screen (the first time), I used the “Utility” (or was it “Utilities”?) menu to run “Disk Utility“. I then verified my disk was okay, which found a “minor error” in the disk catalog after about 3/4 of an hour. So I selected “Repair”, and it spent another 1/2 hour fixing it. I then rebooted and started the install, but then the installer told me I didn’t have enough disk space — I was 4 GB short.

This was strange, since I had over 20 Gig of free space before I started the whle process. I quit the installer, and found I only had 900 MB of free disk space! Egad. Being paranoid, I then booted off my DiskWarrior CD and had it exammine and repair any problems. That took another hour or so, mostly because booting off the CD was v-e-r-y s-l-o-w.

Okay, even after that, I still only had 900 MB free. So now I have to go and burn stuff to DVD to free up space. So, 3 DVDs later (and about another 45 minutes), I have about 12 Gig free.

At this point, it was, indeed, **only** 28 minutes and 46 seconds to perform the upgrade. Wow, fast eh?

rae    0

From my blog...

There is a new feature in iChat, where you can set your "Available" message to be the current track you are listening to in iTunes.

12142919_0a44d63452_o.jpg

I first noticed the effects of this when I saw Justin in iChat with a song title and a strange, iTunes-reminiscent arrow next to it..

12142920_534d5dde77_o.jpg

I clicked the arrow, and iTunes launched and immediately brought me to the track ready to play or buy.

12142921_a666a6da69.jpg

See full-sized image

Quite nifty!

rae    0

Well, I feel like I'm spamming the forum with all my screenshots, so I'll just post a link to my blog entry about my problems with Tiger.

Short summary: problems running Fire, BitTorrent (kernel panic!), and Mail.app.