Sign in to follow this  
MacCast

OS X Tiger. Thoughts, impressions, gripes and stuff.

Well, I feel like I'm spamming the forum with all my screenshots, so I'll just post a link to my blog entry about my problems with Tiger.

Thanks for the posts. They are very helpful.

Anyone able to still use fink? I've tried self updating but i ikeep getting kernel panics when I do.

None of the Adobe apps seems to handle drag-and-drop to open files any more.

I've had a series of kernel panics over the last two days. Mostly when running BitTorrent apps (I've tried BitTorrent, Azureus and Bits on Wheels, so it's not a language-specfic thing) but also when using Safari.

On the off chance that it's just a resurfacing of the old dual-cpu lookupd bug (which only bothered Azureus before), I've followed my own instructions to turn my Mac into a caching name server for itself.

DISCLAIMER: only follow the steps if you are comfortable with editing configuration files in Terminal.

Curious that you should mention Azureus brings down your Mac, because it blue screens my vaio laptop too (XP Home). The only other app to achieve that is UltraVNC client with an encryption plugin turned on. I'm planning on running a bittorrent client on a Mac Mini, and the idea of running a quiet little 20 watt server 24/7 is quite appealing - but the stability doesnt sound very good!

I have 350 megs,ish, of email on my imap server, but if Mail isn't coping very well with lots of mail I may stick to Thunderbird too.

Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming. ALso, more pics the better.

Rgds, Ant

There is a new feature in iChat, where you can set your "Available" message to be the current track you are listening to in iTunes.

all my buddies ask me why the heck my status is "Adam Christianson - MC-2005-05-06" and why the arrow does nothing. :)

Thanks for all the info. Keep it coming.

Well, in other news, Mail.app has stopped working for me. I even deleted my ~/Library/Mail directory and Mail prefs, but still no joy.

ALso, more pics the better.

Ah, I knew I bought that Flickr Pro account for *someting*. :-)

Looks like there's a bug in Tiger's networking. Loads of networking apps having issues.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1806371,00.asp

While most developers point to dramatic changes in Tiger's kernel as the reason, several claim that part of the problem is one or more bugs in the kernel of Mac OS X 10.4, bugs that they say Apple has acknowledged and has promised to repair.

Incompatibilities with Tiger exist for a large variety of network software, including VPN clients from a variety of vendors, file sharing and Active Directory integration products from Thursby Software Systems Inc. and others, and network encryption software, including PGP Desktop from PGP Corp.

Rgds, Ant

Looks like there's a bug in Tiger's networking. Loads of networking apps having issues.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1806371,00.asp

I know that article mainly mentions VPN and enterprise networking software, but does anyone know if printer sharing over a network is affected as well? I had my Canon printer installed and shared from my Mac mini, and my BF was able to send print jobs from his XP machine before. But now that I have Tiger running on my machine, his XP box can't see the printer.

I'm not entirely sure that it's a Tiger-related program, but was wondering if anyone has seen similar issues.

I am able to print the other way after updating to tiger.

I have a printer on a PC and can print from tiger to that still after the upgrade.

I love the New Control-Command "D". While your cursor is over a word to get the definition. Even "IMHO"

Tiger is great

real

THANK YOU.

I have been wondering for ever how you do that.

**pastes shortcut reminder in Dasboard Sticky Note**

Well, I tried to install Tiger through upgrade method...then through the archive & install method. Neither worked for me. I guess I'm going to have to zero out my drive & start from the top. The only thing is that I have a new imac ordered from Apple which will be arriving by the 11th (hopefully!), and I'm thinking about just transferring all of my stuff over to my new computer then. I'm assuming I can just do the transfer through firewire like I did previously from my powerbook to imac at work.

The reason why I'm thinking about waiting is because I plan to give my "old" imac to my DH. So, after I get my files transferred, then I can wipe the drive & install fresh. Anybody see a problem with that? Just wondering what I should do. I DO have a backup of my user folder items (40 gig worth!), but I would like for all of my applications to transfer over to my new imac. Seems like I just need to be patient for another week. Any thoughts?

Kat

On the off chance that it's just a resurfacing of the old dual-cpu lookupd bug (which only bothered Azureus before), I've followed my own instructions to turn my Mac into a caching name server for itself.

Well, it seems that my old instructions are actually Panther-(or-before)-specific. There is a new hint up at MacOSXHints.com with very detailed, Tiger-specific instrucctions.

I am going to try following them and see if it helps. I haven't had any kernel panics since my last post, but that's probably because I'm doing all my BitTorrent downloading on my PC instead. :(

...and I'm thinking about just transferring all of my stuff over to my new computer then.  I'm assuming I can just do the transfer through firewire like I did previously from my powerbook to imac at work.  

Guess I should have listened to maccast's new podcast...guess it's the migration thing. :)

Kat

I tried the migration but had huge issues when it pulled my TechToolsPro APP from eDrive and it wanted to rule the roost.

I decided to zero out and do what I thought I should have done but did not have time for in the beginning.

My 800Mhz iMac with 768 MB Ram zips along faster now on everything. No crashes or other unsightly issues so far.

I tried the migration but had huge issues when it pulled my TechToolsPro APP from eDrive and it wanted to rule the roost.

I decided to zero out and do what I thought I should have done but did not have time for in the beginning.

My 800Mhz iMac with 768 MB Ram zips along faster now on everything.  No crashes or other unsightly issues so far.

Hmmm...well I don't have TechToolsPro...I used to a long time ago, but haven't even tried it since OSX came along.

Was wondering though...does anybody use Macromedia Studio MX 2004? I'm wondering how my Dreamweaver, Fireworks & Flash are going to work on Tiger. Has anyone had a problem with these?

Kat

I've not had any problems at all with studio MX. Works as well as always. It seems to be even a bit faster with Tiger.

I performed the upgrade on my PM G5 1.8 DP (it took ~25 minutes). All seemed well, but after using it a little, I have noticed some issues.

1. Opening files within Photoshop Elements 2.0 and Excel 2004 takes FOREVER. It takes 15-20 seconds to open a simple file (whereas the same file in Panther would open in about a second).

2. It takes up to 25 seconds for the print dialog to come up in any application once I press Command-Q.

I'm contemplating wiping the drive and starting from scratch...but I hate to think about re-installing all of my apps and configuring them...*sigh*. I'll hold off a bit on the chance that someone here will have an idea for an alternate fix.

Before I did a wipe of the drive. You might try removing the apps you mentioned and then reinstalling them one by one.

I know that Microsoft says that they are working with Apple to make Office 2004 compatible with Tiger. I have not experienced your problems but the app gave me a spinning pizza wheel.

Check Macworld for a list of updated applications:

http://www.macworld.com/2005/05/news/tigerupdates/

Some updates copied from my blog..

I removed iAlert and Growl from my /Library/InputManagers directory, and now Mail starts just fine. I am guessing it was trying to communicate with the plugins and failing miserably.

I've also gotten Fire working again. I downloaded the recent 1.5.2 update and all is well.

Then after updating BitTorrent to the recently released 4.0.2 version, my BitTorrent woes disappeared.

*Whew*, so Tiger isn't looking too bad now. :-)

I've also gotten Fire working again. I downloaded the recent 1.5.2 update and all is well.

Does Fire work with all the major IM clients (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ) ?

Does Fire work with all the major IM clients (AIM, Yahoo, MSN, ICQ) ?

yup

..Ant