Sign in to follow this  
kjskillet

HyperEngine-AV

Well I have to get my demo reel done so I will use HyperEngine-AV ( http://www.arboretum.com/ ) for this job. This thread is intended to be my review of this software. I plan on reviewing it as I go along with this project. I don't really plan on comparing HyperEngine-AV to any other program. This will totally slow down the review process and affect my natural opinion of how this program does things.

The only experience that I have with HyperEngine-AV so far is basically a quick import and export test to make sure this program will work for me.

I have hardly read anything about this app. And I have not read any manuals at all. So lets see if HyperEngine-AV is intuitive.

-Ken

If you are like me and have a project that you have to get done. And you don't have time to wait for my thoughts about this product. Then check out these two reviews that I got from the HyperEngine-AV website- http://www.arboretum.com/about/reviews_hyp...rengine-av.html .

Now I have not read these reviews cuz it will affect my own.

Enjoy the reviews:

http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/article....d=9479&GU=le929

http://namm.harmony-central.com/113AES/Con...PR/Montage.html

more to come...

-Ken

First off I tried to use the Movie Capture feature and it didn't work. So I will use BTV Pro for this task.

Adding the soundtrack was simple. I just dragged the file to the stage from the Finder. Which brings to mind that there are no Bins. Thats fine, I will just use a Finder window and manage all my assets there.

I have already logged most of my clips so its off to BTV Pro to ingest everything.

I plan on remaining positive about everything. From the look of things the interface is different so procedures may also be different. So I will keep a "It's No Big Deal" kinda attitude.

more to come...

-Ken

The Basics

If you want an easy solution to basic editing & DV Stream editing HyperEngine-AV is a great solution. You simply drag your clips from the Finder to the stage, butt the clips together and your on your way. Super simple. One of the features that I really like is the open stage. In other words there are no rows that you would move a clip into. You make your own. So it is very easy to keep your clip sequences organized.

Now lets say you have a clip that is too long. Simply drag your cursor over the clip to make a selection. You then have the option to cut or crop for example.

Another thing that I really like about HyperEngine-AV is that when you drag a clip onto the stage it seems to make a reference movie. This is faster than making a full copy of the clip you are importing.

Creating a basic transition like a dissolve (mix) between two cuts was extremely efficient. Simply overlap your clips and you have an instant dissolve. And there was no rendering you can instantly see the results. My system can't playback these transition smoothly but I bet this won't be a problem for systems that are faster than mine.

There is also a fade to/from black feature. I started to use it and then I bailed when the app seemed to be creating another clip or something. Basically the process was taking more than a few seconds and I did not like that. So I basically recorded black with my camera (caped and iris closed) and used that for now. Some of my shots will change so I don't want to waste time creating a fade transition for nothing.

I miss having a slice tool. My audio track is much longer than the 1:30 video that I am editing. I had to click on a portion of the track and then shift click somewhere else to select and delete the unwanted portion of the sound track.

This brings to mind that some high end features are not available. Features like Roll, Slip, & Scrub.

Playback performance was not bad considering my system is only a 450 MHz G4. Which also means every time that I have to wait a few seconds for processing, newer systems should provide instant results.

I exported a draft of my project and it looked a bit soft compared to the original DV stream. Remember that editing in HyperEngine-AV is basically DV stream editing.

I will have to do some testing and get back with you about this.

Markers were really easy to figure out. All you have to do to add a marker is click on the time line and drag down. And you get rid of markers the same way.

I am currently trying to key some type and video. My next installment will talk about how effects and keying work in HyperEngine-AV. Eventually I will review the audio features.

So far very intuitive!

more to come...

-Ken

Just noticed something cool. There is project navigation window called the "Overview" window. What is so cool is that you can grab the corner of your locator box and drag it to make the box bigger or smaller. The result is that your stage reflects the size and location of the locator box. And it looks like you can save various views as presets.

overviewWindow.gif

zoomedIn.gif

So far very intuitive!

more to come...

-Ken

Corrections

Imported Files

When you open the preferences you can choose if you want imported files to be copied or linked.

Slice Tool

There is a feature called split. It's easy just control click your clip (click in the top/name section of your clip) and HyperEngine-AV will slice/split the clip with the playhead.

Scrubing

I am learning more as I use the program. Turns out you can scrub the audio. While playing grab the timeline and hold down the CMD key.

more to come...

-Ken

Text

There is a "Text Clip" feature that is only really useful for making a slate. I really don't want to spend much time talking about it. If you need to get some kind of text on the screen and you don't really care how it looks than this tool should work fine for you.

That is if you can get it to work. I am finding that this tool is very inconsistent. Sometimes the text will not show up at all in the Viewer window.

I was not able to apply a transition of any kind to the the text. This means that text will just pop on abruptly.

textClip.gif

Compositing

If it is possible I have not figured it out yet. HyperEngine-AV doesn't seem to recognize quicktime files with an alpha channel. And images with an alpha channel didn't work. What is possible is this. If you have a image with a black background you can basically have HyperEngine-AV use the Compositing Chroma Key transition. This can get you by if you don't have time for other solutions. But the results of using the Compositing Transition did not really look good. Not to mention that you can only use one transition at a time.

Here is an example. Look at the edges around the orange circle.

You should not see black at all. Not to mention torn edges of black.

keyTest.jpg

Another Compositing Solution

This may not be the forum to give you details but I will tell you that it is possible if HyperEngine-AV is your only video editing tool. If you have an image editing program and Quicktime Pro you can work with image sequences to produce Name/Locator keys and maybe some other cool things. Now your image editing program has to be able so save a PNG file with transparency.

more to come...

-Ken

Hi Jorellh,

Your right, there is no HD support.

Because we are talking about free software. I want to determine if HyperEngine is total junk and should be avoided. Or if HyperEngine is good enough to get basic jobs done. Especially content destined for the web.

So if you are still using SD camcorders and you can't afford to upgrade your edit software right now. You might be interested in HyperEngine-AV.

-Ken

Sound

Importing

HPE-AV seems to interface great with my MOTU 828. This means that I can record 8 tracks simultaneously. You can also record multiple takes in one sitting. You finish recording a take by pressing the stop button. There is a check box that is set to automatically keep the take you just recorded. If you don't want to keep it simply uncheck the box. You can record take after take and HPE-AV will automatically name the takes for you. When your done recording all of your takes will show up on the stage.

HPE-AV uses professional audio console type faders with real time VU meters as your interface with level control. All of your takes from your recording session are accessible. You can listen to them and review their duration information.

audioCapture.gif

Mixing

Every audio clip can be routed to its own output fader. There are 64 stereo fader pairs and 64 mono faders. This means that each clip can have it's own level. It seems that automation is not available. But maybe upgrade plugins will activate automation features if they exist. Basically automation will let you record your level adjustments in realtime as the playhead goes across the clip.

mixer.gif

Effects and Adjustments

The effects that come with HPE-AV are quite limited. It doesn't seem like it at first cuz the effects menu shows you everything that would be available when you buy the plugin.

effectsList.gif

I can't live without the effects that come with the plugin. And this is how they entice you to spend money. HPE-AV offers a different way of adjusting effects. They give you this work area that contains a box. When you drag the box around the work area various parameters of the effect are changed. This is really a nice feature. It is totally easy to get the right sound this way.

effectsControl.gif

You can also stack effects.

effectsStack.gif

Overall the audio capabilities are very impressive. In fact this product seems more suited for audio production.

more to come...

-Ken

Time To Cheat

I am going to read the manual. HyperEngine-AV is quick, intuitive and a nice free app. But I am frustrated over the features that don't seem to work well.

more to come...

-Ken

Free Adjustments and Effects

If you apply essential (see below) effect to your audio before it reaches your Mac then you will have little to complain about. If you don't, then may be just a bit frustrated. Unfortunately VST plugins will not work with HyperEngine-AV. HyperEngine-AV uses its own plugins. The demo plugins are fully accessible but will cause your audio to totally drop out every 10 seconds.

EQ Alternative

But if all you want to do is get more low end gain then the High Pass filter (strange) will help. Here are your choice of High Pass presets. You could also manualy adjust the settings.

highPassSelection.gif

By the way HyperEngine-AV dows not allow you to save your own presets. Although the program will remember your current setting.

When I can produce some useful effects with the Low Pass, Band Pass, and Band Reject effects then I will write in detail of how you can apply more EQ adjustments.

Here are the audio adjustments that come with HPE-AV.

audioAdjustment.gif

Here is a list of the effects that are activated with the free version of the software:

Auto Pan

Band Pass

Band Reject

Flanger

Hall Reverb

High Pass

Low Pass

More Stereo

Ring Modulator

Tremolo

Vibrato

Here is a list of effects that I think are essential but are only demos with the free version. You will need to purchase the plugin to activate these effects:

Parametric EQ

Compressor

Limiter

Gate

more to come...

-Ken

Compositing and Effects with a $30 Plugin

Well the good news is that you can produce composites. The bad news is that the process is a bit tedious. So if you just want to press a button and magically everything is done for you then HyperEngine-AV is not your compositing solution.

Buena Software makes various plugins for Quicktime. The one that will help you with your composites is called Effects Pack 3. This plugin has the potential to be very powerful but it could take some time to master. Here is what Effects Pack 3 offers:

Motion

Filter Factory

Luminance Key

Difference Matte

Garbage Matte

Super Chroma Key

Super Alpha Compositor

Inver HSV

Fractal

It seems that HyperEngine-AV does not recognize the alpha channels of imported clips or stills. But it will recognize alphas produced by the Super Alpha Compositor. You will need to use Effects Pack 3 to build the alpha then export your selection to a Quicktime file (compression = none / depth million + / Alpha Gain = 100).

HyperEngine-AV is generally setup to only allow you to use one transition at a time. There is a way around this problem it just means extra work. You will probably want to cross fade to your effect instead of just having your effect pop on the screen. This involves two transitions, Cross Fade & Super Alpha Compositor. To this work you will have to do something like this:

compTransition.gif

Basically I had to duplicate the clip so that I had a foreground and background. Produce the effect and group it with the background. Split and delete the extra video from your effect group. Spit the foreground and apply your cross fade transition to each foreground clip.

Motion is also useful. You just have to remember a black background is necessary for your composite elements when you use Motion. HyperEngine-AV can only apply a single alpha channel to each clip. But you can have multiple clips with alpha channels. Motion does not manipulate the perspective of a clip. But it will move your elements on the X and Y axis. You can also spin the clip on the Z axis.

Set the start and end locations for each axis and you can produce many popular effects like the famous Ken Burns effect.

Buena Software has other effects also. Visit their website for more information:

http://www.buena.com/products.shtml

more to come...

-Ken

Video Adjustments

HyperEngine-AV offers plenty of video adjustments. What's nice is that you can have your adjustments change over time.

videoAdjustments.gif

more to come...

-Ken