Sign in to follow this  
katanna

new iPod battery: Apple, or 3rd party?

I have a 2nd gen iPod (20 gig) and I absolutely love it!

However, my battery life is failing... down to about 3 hours.

I am planning on replacing the battery, but was wondering who I should do it through.

For $60 I can go to Apple and have them do it, or I can spend half that much and do it myself...

From what I understand, if I go to Apple, I don't get a battery replacement, I get a (new) refurbished iPod, but if I go 3rd party, the battery is supposed to last much longer...

What is your preference? I am wanting insight from both users who have done these things, and users who have not...

Thanks for the input!

Matthew

I have a first generation iPod that I did the NewerTech battery with, I did it myself and it was very easy to do, I thought. I got the biggest battery they offered and I am not disappointed, instructions were very clear and the tools provided did the job without disfiguring my iPod.

I got mine from http://www.macsales.com, they even have downloadable videos to show you step by step the entire process.

roog

Thanks for the help, Roogie! I assume you are happy with this product (longer life than you had...)...

So any way, tonight at work my iPod's battery was down to about 2 hours... time for a new battery!

I decided to go with the middle powered one (2100mAh, not the 2200mAh)... I didn't think 100mAh was worth an extra $10...

Also, I am glad you provided the link to MacSales.com because NewerTech's website is much more expensive!

Thanks so much for the review! My new battery is on it's way!

Matthew

Why wait for an applecentre and pay twice as much when you can do it yourself... Well... actually iPod's don't look like they are that easy to open. :shock: But I've never liked giving someone else something to fix that I can fix.

The only real argument for getting the battery replaced straight from Apple is that it will be covered for 60 (or maybe 90) days from the repair in the event that the battery doesn't work to your liking. The turnaround time is fast though. Expect to have your iPod back within 4-5 business days.

Thanks for the help, Roogie!  I assume you are happy with this product (longer life than you had...)...

Yes, I am very happy with the battery that NewerTech makes, they didn't offer the 100mAh different one back when I got mine, but $10 is awful steep for that difference.

I drive a truck for FedEx and I play it at least 45 hours a week between podcasts and just random music playing and I maybe charge it one time during the week, but usually whatever it gets from just transferring music is enough to maintain it.

roog

I drive a truck for FedEx...

Lol, I noticed your "Thanks for shipping with FedEx" in your siggy... funny thing is, I work at UPS (car wash) and that is what I am getting the battery for... tonight, it ran for 2.5 hours before I shut it off... it will be nice when I can just play it all night long and not have to worry about it...

Matthew

Well, I got the Newer Tech iPod battery (2100) and I installed in in my iPod, no problem.

I haven't had a chance to use it much, but I do know that it lasts longer than my old one.

Thanks for the help!!

Matthew

I don't think you'll be disappointed, glad you got it installed ok!

roog