Sign in to follow this  
Bigpics

Using Canon's new WiFi Pixma in a mixed Mac/PC environment

I have PC XP Desktop computers plugged into wireless routers at two locations, and I take my iBook between the two.

I have a Canon Pixma ip4000 at the first location and have learned (after much effort and correspondence with Canon) that despite the hype, the only way I can really print from the iBook to the printer is to unplug the printer from the PC and directly plug the iBook into the USB interface.

So I was about to order a ip5200 for location #2 and ready to do the same cable switching routine when I discovered the newer ip5200r which includes a 802.11 b/g interface for an additional $50. I wrote to Canon and they indicated that I'd be able to seamlessly print via the Wi-Fi connection from both my PC and iBook without doing the unplug/replug samba.

Does anyone have any experience with printing via Wi-Fi??

And in particular:

Will this solve the problem of having full access to the printer from both computers?

Will there be speed compromises in the printing speed by using Wi-Fi as opposed to the USB 2.0 connection??

Will I have to be careful not to send jobs from one computer before sending a print job from the other??

:?:

I have some limited experience in printing with Wi-Fi, the lab I work at has a HP5800 wi-fi enabled printer (b only).

One irritating aspect is (and I suspect this is a HP driver problem) that I have to disconnect my ethernet in order to print (my net access is wired)

With queing, there shouldn't be a problem, despite the mixed XP/OSX enviroment, everyone is able to print from it, and it ques the jobs well.

Wi-Fi printing is definately slower than wired printing - though might only apply for documents with a lot of graphics or photos. For drafts, or text documents, I find little/no difference.

Hopefully by Dec 12, I'd have my IP5200R and would be able to give feedback on it (awaiting order from apple....)