Sign in to follow this  
Joe

I'm switching back to windows

not by choice though, I've been the proud owner of a powerbook G4 since july but as xmas approaches and I've recently been made redundant, i'm having to sell it and I'm gutted, I was proud to be a member of the mac owners army and I'll continue to listen to adam and the mac cast but it'll be a while before I can afford to become a mac user once more.

Anyway, gotta go, I'm transferring my itunes & iphoto libraries to my old PC :(

That sucks, but I'm afraid I don't completely understand why you are having to switch - could you please restate why?

couldn't you just get rid of your windows machine..... no sorry, orget that, who would what a winblows machine

I feel sorry for ya, i'd hate to get rid of mac, that would be the last thing to go for me

Sorry to hear that. Hope something comes along soon so you can rejoin the army.

"made redundant" - think "work related" :(

That sucks, but I'm afraid I don't completely understand why you are having to switch - could you please restate why?

In the UK, when a person is laid off from their job it is called being "made redundant".

I happen to know this because my Out-Laws are British.

Sorry to hear your news Joe, hope you get a good price for the machine.

In Australia the term is retrenched. Laid off in UK and Australia normally refers to workers who don't have a "permanent" contract of employment i.e. a fruit picker would be "laid off" at the end of the summer.

"Two nations separated by a common language", or in this case three.

In the UK, when a person is laid off from their job it is called being "made redundant".

Professor... you truly amaze me. On those days that I think I am not going to learn something new, I can always count on you to come through! :)

By the way, here in the deep south, it is called "getting canned", or if you are a redneck, it is called being "farred". :mrgreen:

The professor reminds me of the real one from futurama. Is your PC beige? i couldn't stand a PC anyways but i will killo the hell outa of one if its beaige.

Yeah, redundant does mean getting laid off and I'm forced to switch back because I have an xp machine in my spare room thats not been used since I got my PB, thanks for the kind words from everyone and once I get back on track later next year, I'll scour ebay for deals.

The professor reminds me of the real one from futurama. Is your PC beige? i couldn't stand a PC anyways but i will killo the hell outa of one if its beaige.

Thank you very much.

The real Professor Farnsworth is my idol!

You should hear me sometimes when I say "Good News Everyone!"

You could buy an old mac on ebay, or a mac mini. There are cheap ways to use a mac. :roll:

yeah, I know but I have a mortgage, bills and Xmas to pay for first, I even looked into the "get a free Mac Mini" website but its not open to the UK.

C'est la vie, in the meantime I've installed a vista skin that has a Dock rather than a start menu, its still bloody windows but it feels a little better, i've even copied the tiger wallpapers over for aesthetic therapy.

This sucks and I cant wait till I am back in Mac

Used the PB for 5 months, amount of crashes: 1

Been using my PC for 4 days, amount of crashes: 7

:cry:

We all hope you will remain active in this forum, and stay in touch with the Mac community. We know you'll be back when things improve, because you've had a taste of having a computer that just works.

Hey... Sorry to hear you'll be heading over to the "dark side" :)

(are people still using that term?)

An idea...

You should take a look at using Linux on yr PC. It would end up being a little bit closer to the Mac experience I think.

Hope you can join us again soon.

Take care.

:? Linux is further from the apple idea of just works I think.

There's always the osx86 route ;)

I agree, I just thought it might be better than Windows crashes.

Any flavor of Unix is stable and better than Windows in my opinion.

If you do want to go the Linux route, try Ubuntu. They'll send you the CD's for free. Ubuntu has a much more user-friendly experience than other distros. It's debian based too, so it's not as hard to install things.

http://www.ubuntu-linux.com/

Or, if you feel a little black hat, you could try OSx86. You'd be amazed at the volume of hardware the works with it.

http://www.osx86project.org/

Here's a good guide on how to do a dual boot with Windows (very easy):

http://www.andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/...l-installation/

If you do wish to go the OSx86 route, I recommend using eDonkey2000 to get the tiger-x86.tar.bz2 file, Bit Torrent is being a pain for that file right now.

yeah, I know but I have a mortgage, bills and Xmas to pay for first, I even looked into the "get a free Mac Mini" website but its not open to the UK.

C'est la vie, in the meantime I've installed a vista skin that has a Dock rather than a start menu, its still bloody windows but it feels a little better, i've even copied the tiger wallpapers over for aesthetic therapy.

This sucks and I cant wait till I am back in Mac

Used the PB for 5 months, amount of crashes: 1

Been using my PC for 4 days, amount of crashes: 7

:cry:

Sorry to hear that.

I sympathize with you.

:-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :(:(:(:(:(:( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: [/b]

In my experience, apps crash on OSX more often than windows. But I've never had a kernel panic or total freeze in OSX, happened a few times on windows, usually related to bugs with drivers, ie, nvidia coders suck!

In my experience, apps crash on OSX more often than windows. But I've never had a kernel panic or total freeze in OSX, happened a few times on windows, usually related to bugs with drivers, ie, nvidia coders suck!

That's weird. I am the exact opposite. I guess I am a more advanced PC user and I looked after my systems really well (stand alone mostly with a laptop for internet connectivity) but all the same I had a few crashes, panics of various kinds, BSODs etc. but I never had an issue with the nVidia drivers. Drivers never really had any problems in my experience except small companies drivers which had compatibility issues with other small companies and that kind of thing.

I have never had a crash on a Mac, even when I seriously (and I mean seriously) messed up. It took about 6 minutes to sort itself out but it never died and even the program carried on running. Very strange how everyone has different experiences.

Ladies and gents, totally through fluke, I got a higher paid job and a couple of things worked out and I got to keep my Mac, i was holding off selling it cos i couldnt bring myself to do it but i am proud to say I am still a mac user!!!!!!!!!!

thankyou all for the responses to my original post, im excited to still be a mac user in this new phase of Apple's legacy!

not long until I get to play with the macbook pro either, a friend of mine runs an advertising agency and has one on pre order!

I never had an issue with the nVidia drivers. Drivers never really had any problems in my experience except small companies drivers which had compatibility issues with other small companies and that kind of thing.

Do you game often? Gaming strains a computer more than any other task.

It gives the CPU and GPU a real work out. And as windows has the video driver in the kernel space, a bug in it can bring down the whole OS.