Sign in to follow this  
The Dead Herring

I am going to get an ibook, should I buy extra RAM?

Sometime next year I will proabbly be picking ap an intel laptop,

so when the intel ibooks come out should I pay the extra £200 for 1.5gb of ram?

will it make an economic speed boost, I do alot of processor intensive stuff like encoding DVDs and playing games. Should I get the RAM? Or should I just get the less powerfull powerbook?

With Mac OSX being so RAM dependant I would suggest getting the RAM. You will see an improvement from a better processor, but at the end of the day they arn't looking at being too different. RAM is important on a Mac and moreso when gaming. My only question is the type of gaming you are planning on doing as Macs seem to truly use the components for what they are designed for (ie. your CPU won't be doing the GPUs work).

Take a look at Activity monitor and see how much RAM your everday activities conserve and see if you really need it. What are you going to run that will take that much RAM?

In my opinion get the extra ram if you can aford it, i say you can never have enough. I only put 512mg in my mac and regret it and now facing an upgrade and having to dump the current stick which is a waste. Systems just feel more nippy with extra ram and for some reason you always need more than you think, especial with video and image work, Adobe Creative Suite 2 for eample eats ram

In my opinion get the extra ram if you can aford it, i say you can never have enough. I only put 512mg in my mac and regret it and now facing an upgrade and having to dump the current stick which is a waste. Systems just feel more nippy with extra ram and for some reason you always need more than you think, especial with video and image work, Adobe Creative Suite 2 for eample eats ram

Completely agree, OSX simply lurves RAM.

Plus

- Upgrading now will avoid any worries about buying incompatible memory, if you buy later.

- If you're intending to keep the machine for a while, 1.5Gb will seem seem pretty average within a couple of years. You'll wonder why you didn't buy that much to begin with.

as much as you can afford. you will be sorry if you dont have it. in my experience with tiger, it takes about 256 just to run it. 512 with any kind of efficiency. and a gig if you want to multitask or do any good photo/video work. if you are just using it as a word processor/internet machine, its not so crucial. but if you are going to excersize it, buy the RAM.

I always get the very minimum allowed by the Apple Store and use an online retailer to get more. It's very easy to install yourself in most new Macs and you can save a ton of money over the Apple Store prices.

http://www.datamem.com

This website has great prices, I've ordered from them for years, although I'm not sure about their shipping to non-US address policies.

roog

Have to agree apple is expensive for ram, for example i want to take my mac mini to 1gb that stick of ram costs over £200 from apple whereas a stick from crucial only cost £70 although some online deals from apple are quite competive when you buying a new mac.

Get as much as you can afford, but not from Apple. You'll pay much less from a place like crucial.com

I agree with the other opinions.

The bog standard 256 is not enough. With only one slot you may as well get 1Gb, as if you get too little you will end up wasting the stick.

Apple RAM is expensive, I have been pleased with Crucial Memory.

will apple allow you to buy a lappy without any RAM installed? If so, order it with 0 RAM and buy 1.5 from 3rd party. If not - get only 256, sell it on ebay, and buy a 1GB and 512 chips.

It depends a lot on what you are doing how much RAM you will need. As a rule it is great to get as much RAM as you can. That being said you should definitly get 1GB and if you can get it as one stick so that there is space to upgrade later then you should. After 1GB you will begin to be subject to the law of diminishing returns. The difference between 512 MB and 1 GB is huge but 1 GB to 1.5 GB is only a marginal difference. So I would suggest you get 1 GB.

I think I will be doing very processor (and ram?) intensive stuff like running....

Logic Express 7

BF1942

Handbreak

iMovie

Windows XP (dual booting on intel!)

P.S sorry I was so late respoding to my own thread I forgot about it lol

I think I will be doing very processor (and ram?) intensive stuff like running....

Logic Express 7

BF1942

Handbreak

iMovie

Windows XP (dual booting on intel!)

P.S sorry I was so late respoding to my own thread I forgot about it lol

I'd suggest you get the max amount the notebook will support, but do it by adding RAM later to the basic configuration. Apple makes it really easy to add RAM to their computers, even providing detailed instructions for doing so in their user manuals.

You could also wait and see what "actual" specs are released on the first intel iBook.

I dont think theres anything wrong with suggesting to max out ram on a current iBook, but does anyone else think its a little early to give recommendations on a machine no one has nay clue about. not one.

Well i agree with inis, but also i have just brought an iBook and got 1gb added in to make it 1.5gb and it runs really smoothly, it works fine with WoW and all the programs i have. The only thing is i don't do anthing major on here. Dreamweaver and xCode are both setup on my mini and no my iBook

To be honest though, if you can afford it get it if you carn't you can always upgrade later with some RAM from crucial

You could also wait and see what "actual" specs are released on the first intel iBook.

I dont think theres anything wrong with suggesting to max out ram on a current iBook, but does anyone else think its a little early to give recommendations on a machine no one has nay clue about. not one.

You suggestion is a valid one, however, there will still be the same issue and powerbooks will (probably) still be caomparitively faster than ibooks.

Anyway what I am saying is, should I buy a cheap (but new) ibook then spend extra money on ram? or should I spend that extra dosh on the cheapest powerbook and not max out the ram?

you are going to want a similar amount of RAM in either computer. The things that make a powerbook faster will not diminish the need for RAM in any way.

it would depend oon how much ram you able to put in the power book, i would have thought a power book with little ram will struggle aganst a max out ibook, although the powerbook has the greater potential further down the line, however a power book crippled with very little ram seams little pointless to me

Ok thanks for the advice,

I really like the compactness of the 12" ibook, I think if they realease an intel version of that I will get it and max out its ram.

Hey guys, i'm also looking to add ram to my powerbook, I'm just wondering where you guys would recomend getting the ram from. the sites on here i've seen are crucial and datamem, are there any other reputible stores? and ones that ship to Canada would be nice

DH - as you're in Blighty, i'd recommend using Crucial for RAM - it's what i use for all my clients and have never had a problem with it. Also, it's very well priced (and if you use the coupon code MACUSER it's priced even better - 4% off).

Use the Memory Advisor Tool (top right of the page) to select your mac model and it will present you with all options and a recommendation - and also, any RAM bought using this tool will be guaranteed by crucial for use with your model.

Also, bearing in mind the Apps you want to be using, you would do well to consider getting a 7200rpm internal drive as opposed to the standard 5400rpm that is shipped with the drive. Whereas adding extra RAM is relatively easy-peasy - replacing a HD in an ibook is a pain in the Rs, so i'd see if you can get it as a build to order option.

No Intel iBooks, but I do know for a fact that the new PowerPC iBooks have 512mb memory on the motherboard, so that is the very minimum you can get. The nice thing is that to upgrade to 1Gb total RAM (by adding another 512mb) is only $49 right now on DataMem ($71 on Crucial.com).

roog