Sign in to follow this  
kwsanders

Should we talk Adam into removing the user ranking?

Would you like to see the user rank disappear from the display?  

35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No
    • I do not care.

I personally do think the user ranking means one hill of beans. I know there are people on the forums who know way more about the Mac platform than I do, they probably just do not post as much or have time to spend in the forums like some of the rest of us. I think we should talk Adam into removing the user ranking from the display.

What do you think?

read what i just wrote in the original thread we discussed this.

Here Here! Personally, I don't quite understand it. Some one could be a Uber Mac Geek and all he/she asks is questions because they are a fresh, brand-new Mac user who always clicks the Finder icon because they think it is the Start Menu. They would be smarter, but not as smart as someone who has been on a Mac for 20+ years, and has disassembled every version of the Mac OS and changed the OS right and left!

Yea... from things I have read in the forum thread on this, I believe this is 50-50 issue, but no big deal in the long run.

Maybe if it really expressed your exprience with Macs or computers in general.

I am a Mac newb.

I am a PC Expert.

I personally think it's kinda nice to have a rank, but then again it's pointless for those reasons stated above. I would like to see it gone regardless of it's "cute factor".

The other option of course is to change it to be less Mac related and more "forumite" related, but again there are problems. I know some people working on a similar issue elsewhere; they haven't got very far yet but I will update if they do come up with something that actually works.

I'm a yes and a no, but I only voted yes.

Personally, unless we see more pointless posting to intentionally increase rank, as did happen several times a few months ago, the ranks really don't bother me. I really don't know if the mass postings are happening now because as a teacher I don't spend as much time on the forums currently.

However, I like the titles. Is there a way that users can be assigned random titles each time they log in. I wouldn't mind being a Mac Geek God one day and a Mac Genius the next, just for fun.

The numbers, as they relate to posts, are really a matter of time spent on the forums, not knowledge; so setting them to be random and humorous might be more fun.

-Rob

However, I like the titles. Is there a way that users can be assigned random titles each time they log in.

-Rob

Nope.

There's either no titles our titles for the number of posts you have.

However, I like the titles. Is there a way that users can be assigned random titles each time they log in.

-Rob

Nope.

Actually, that is something that is quite possible..Doesn't really have a point, since that is a member title, but it is possible.

-Rob

Nope.

Actually, that is something that is quite possible..Doesn't really have a point, since that is a member title, but it is possible.

Not wit hany of the forums types I've admined (if thats can be a verb)

-Rob

Nope.

You would need to do some custom coding..It isn't built into the system, but it can most certainly be done.

The word you were looking for was administrated.

Anyway, yes, Mitch is correct, it can and has been done but it's not a packaged tool with either phpBB or VBulletin. That said, although I think it would be fun for a few days, it doesn't really hold a point and would only serve to confuse those that are new but know how these things work.

To that end, we should swap them around so that Kerry for example is a Mac Newb and dytis is a Mac Geek God; just for the crack.

The word you were looking for was administrated.

I know, I was trying to make it short :P

I just voted, since I never had before..I voted yes. Most recently there have been many people posting multiple times in a row, and making pointless replies, to bump their post count and title (I assume) I think that it really isn't needed, and that the post counter could go with it :D

I just voted, since I never had before..I voted yes. Most recently there have been many people posting multiple times in a row, and making pointless replies, to bump their post count and title (I assume) I think that it really isn't needed, and that the post counter could go with it  :D
Posting more than one time in a row has nothing to do with post count. Can we just shut up about this!?

WE let this thread die for a reason. THis is just pointless arguing about something that doesn't matter at all. If we should get Adam to do anything, it is lock this thread.

I think we should talk to Adam about removing this post.

- MT

I just voted, since I never had before..I voted yes. Most recently there have been many people posting multiple times in a row, and making pointless replies, to bump their post count and title (I assume) I think that it really isn't needed, and that the post counter could go with it  :D
Posting more than one time in a row has nothing to do with post count. Can we just shut up about this!?

WE let this thread die for a reason. THis is just pointless arguing about something that doesn't matter at all. If we should get Adam to do anything, it is lock this thread.

wow, there is no Maccast news saying when posts die and should be locked. Plus if its so pointless then why did you comment?

Well, since iBasden doesn't feel that it is appropriate to be discussing this anymore, I would suggest if you feel that this issue needs to be brought to Adam's attention, to email him. That way iBasden won't need to witness the discussion any further.

Wow. I never realized this was such a hot topic. These are really there just for fun and to encourage posting. I will happily remove them, but I don't see why it's such a big deal. You are all on the forum and you have go t to know each other pretty well. You know who knows their stuff, who a newbie and such. If a new member is in need of help and they get bad advice from an avid poster, don't you all fend them off and give the right advice? Do the rankings really cause confusion? If so then I agree they need to be removed.

can we choose our name? it would be better if we couuld choose our ranking or have people rate us to see how much we know. i hardly know anyting about macs but i am the ipod man and most of my posts are in the ipod section, so i should be called a uber ipod geek instead of a uber mac geek