Sign in to follow this  
jorellh

Dell 30" Display

You can definitly get the best hardware at the best price by assembling your own system. The problem is that when you have a problem most of the hardware companies have terrible service and they will always blame the other systems in your system. Have a problem with your motherboard and you will first have to search for the tech number then call a long distance number and sit on hold for a while. Then talk to them and they will first blame the RAM, then the HDD, and on and on.... finally you convince them that it is in fact the motherboard so you get an RMA number. Now you have to completly disassemble the system and mail out your motherboard. Wait a couple weeks with no computer and you will eventually get your motherboard back and you can look forward to reassembling your system. Thats why I am switching to an Apple with applecare. You pay more, but you get an awesome comp and it's someone else's problem when it doesn't work.

You can definitly get the best hardware at the best price by assembling your own system. The problem is that when you have a problem most of the hardware companies have terrible service and they will always blame the other systems in your system. Have a problem with your motherboard and you will first have to search for the tech number then call a long distance number and sit on hold for a while. Then talk to them and they will first blame the RAM, then the HDD, and on and on.... finally you convince them that it is in fact the motherboard so you get an RMA number. Now you have to completly disassemble the system and mail out your motherboard. Wait a couple weeks with no computer and you will eventually get your motherboard back and you can look forward to reassembling your system. Thats why I am switching to an Apple with applecare. You pay more, but you get an awesome comp and it's someone else's problem when it doesn't work.

Although I partially agree with you (it is nice to think you can sit back, relax and enjoy letting someone else deal with your Apple issues (not that I have had, or expect to have any) but then I think your comment was a little strong with regards the PC. Hardware is the one thing PCs do well in my opinion.

If you are building your own PC then you should have the ability to troubleshoot and solve most of your own problems. Each component of a PC (or Mac for that matter) is a FRU or Field Replacable Unit and you shouldn't (as a general rule) even bother to try and fix it as it will only ruin your chances of returning the item. Call your supplier, explain that you thoroughly test your hardware before you begin your build. Your item is faulty and this is what your tests have revealed, you would like to exchange it for a working replacement as soon as possible. Boom, RMA number.

Any supplier that doesn't cooperate has been told to do so by their supervisor/manager and the authority in question should be requested. If you still have no luck then get straight on the phone to Trading Standards and they will sort you out. Find a good supplier, a good delivery company (if your supplier allows you to provide your own) and stick with them. If you call then get to know a rep, try and sort out a business account no matter how infrequently you order and always insist on talking to that rep.

It's easy to get hardware and have it work. If it fails later then that's where Applecare comes in or else your own knowledge and troubleshooting on a PC or better still your research into the purchase before you hand the cash over. The best way to avoid trouble is to simply know your product first and make sure you are buying what will work for you.

I was speaking to my experience dealing with manufacturers during the warranty period. DOA parts are easy to deal with if it is a reputable company you ordered from. To qualify I am annoyed because motherboards [i have had 3 from good companies fail with the current piece in my computer powering down randomly from time to time] tend to be the absolute worst with RAM being a definite next. HDD companies are ussually great. The problem is you call these manufacturers and you tell them my unit is dead and I need it fixed and then the troubleshooting starts, after 30 minutes of trying stuff they go okay you were right send it in. Ussually as part of this troubleshooting they will start blaming every other component in the system. I have taken to just lying to them on the phone. I will just sit and watch some TV while I keep saying yes I am trying whatever they say and it isn't working untill they finally give the RMA. I have also found companies often don't respond to emails [and if they do this is the first place they sart the blame game] and they bury their customer support number. The main issue I am speeking to is that there is no entity that is ultimatly responsible for everything. If you have a sony, apple, dell... whatever then whatever the problem is it's still their problem so they can't spread the blame and they have to fix it. I am just saying yes you can get a better system for less money by building from components but the overall integration tat comes with buying a system might very well be worth the price premium.

I've been to Round Rock, TX and seen the Dell Campus. After seeing the burn-in testing they do to the Optiplex and Latitude lines I don't have any qualms about recommending them to customers. And my expereince with 4-hour server support. I usually get the part in 2 hours and a tech if necessary in 3-4.

Its just the typical response I get from PC users but we got dells for our school for around 300 with monitors. Is there a build itself Mac server for iTunes music?

Dell's service is not bad, they sent a repairman to my buddy's house to swap out a bad CD Burner.

Although IBM's service is really good to, they sent a guy to his dorm room to swap out a bad LCD!! This is stuff Apple would never do.

Well Dell doesn't even have a physical store or place you can drop off a broken computer to. I once tried to take a monitor to their offices, they reacted, wow, we've never seen one of our customers here before. :lol:

Apple has 1 physical store in Canada....

You know, you could try an Applecentre... you don't have to stick to stores owned by apple.

Why not use an apple 30" cinema display?  Nothing against Dell, but I can't imagine it is better than Apples display.

Is it cheaper?

Why not use an apple 30" cinema display? Nothing against Dell, but I can't imagine it is better than Apples display.

Is it cheaper?

Since the dell 20" is a little cheap than the apple, and the dell 24" is is alot cheaper than the apple, i will imagine that the 30" will be EXTREMELy cheaper than the apple.

lol. honestly, no one knows a price, but it WILL be cheaper one way or another, and dell outperforms apples displays in almost every catagory.

There is no reason to buy an apple display other than the look. bottom line.