Sign in to follow this  
Joshua

How large is your iTunes library?

How large is your iTunes library?  

27 members have voted

1. 1.

• 0 GB - Who needs music anyway?
    • < 2 GB - The occasional music listener.
    • 2-8 GB - Too cheap to buy more music.
    • 8-12 GB - Mmm, music.
    • 12-18 GB - Some music.
    • 18-26 GB - Music fan.
    • 26-32 GB - Music junkie.
    • > 32 GB - Pirate!

How large is your iTunes library? My sister's recording-industry-major friends have incredibly large ones.

14 GB for me.

8.82 and growing, I'm in the process of Senuti-ing my bro's iPod which has over 4,000 songs. So it will grow quite a bit after that.

My iTunes library is slightly over 26gb, almost all of it consists of MP3 files ripped from CDs owned by my partner and myself. None, absolutely none, of the tunes in my library are pirated. I do have 298 songs that I've purchased from iTunes since I went Mac in May of this year.

My taste in music has changed too, now that I'm elderly. I'm buying more techno trance, electronica, and ambient stuff. I'm not as much into the type of music my sister calls Screaming White Males as I used to be.

One reason my collection is so large is that I'm so amazingly old. Being very, very old means I have had more years to buy CDs and build my collection.

My library is a little over 28.5 GB. That includes all music that I have ripped from CDs that I own, tunes that I have paid for and downloaded from iTMS, all podcasts, and video.

My music collection by itself is just a shade over 6 GB. Most of mine is podcasts and video.

30.8 Gb. all legal!!! don't steal music. it keep good musicians from getting record contracts! (sorry for the rant)

30.8 Gb.   all legal!!! don't steal music.  it keep good musicians from getting record contracts! (sorry for the rant)

Well, I'm not too sure about that. Artists receive very, very little from music sales. I'm talking pennies a CD, literally. Most money is made on tour. The vast majority of that money is going to the store you bought the CD at and the record labels.

30.8 Gb.   all legal!!! don't steal music.  it keep good musicians from getting record contracts! (sorry for the rant)

Well, I'm not too sure about that. Artists receive very, very little from music sales. I'm talking pennies a CD, literally. Most money is made on tour. The vast majority of that money is going to the store you bought the CD at and the record labels.

Yeah I was just about to say that. This still doesn't make it okay to steal their music though :wink:

i have 13gb. Most of it i own, some is torrented only because i lost my purchased music a few weeks ago. in someting that was really stupid of me but now i realised my mistakes i torrented the files to get them back. At the time there was no back up. but i thought that as i have allready brought them then its not that bad.

i have have also downloaded the odd album or 2 because alot of what i listen to is underground stuff and can be a pain the the !@£$ to find

11.80 after ripping my brothers iPod.

Still need to put the rest of it on there. I just did a quick sweep of the best stuff last night.

Yeah I was just about to say that. This still doesn't make it okay to steal their music though :wink:

For the RIAA henchmen scanning the forums: I've never pirated music. However, my sister has!

I have bit torrented some songs, but that was after waiting 6 months for iTunes to get them out.

... At the time there was no back up.

Back in the day, when I did Field Service for a living, I used to encourage my customers to make backups of the network management systems I'd work on. These were very important central components of corporate networks, yet many people failed to back them up.

I got to telling them that "I never met anyone that regretted making a backup".

I backup my Mac computers by connecting an external firewire hard drive and using either Carbon Copy Cloner or LaCie SilverKeeper.

People usually have large enough music libraries that backing them up to optical media all at once is tedious.

I also will immediately burn a CD of any music I buy from iTunes. Not only does this protect against loss, but I can also sneakernet the music to my other Macs.

... At the time there was no back up.

Back in the day, when I did Field Service for a living, I used to encourage my customers to make backups of the network management systems I'd work on. These were very important central components of corporate networks, yet many people failed to back them up.

I got to telling them that "I never met anyone that regretted making a backup".

I backup my Mac computers by connecting an external firewire hard drive and using either Carbon Copy Cloner or LaCie SilverKeeper.

People usually have large enough music libraries that backing them up to optical media all at once is tedious.

I also will immediately burn a CD of any music I buy from iTunes. Not only does this protect against loss, but I can also sneakernet the music to my other Macs.

I did used to back up all my music to DVD-RW on my winblows machine but as my mini doesn't have a SuperDrive init its hard to carry on doing that. I do generally burn them to music cd after i buy them but i did loose 2-3 albums. 95% of my music is brought legally and i am trying to make it 100%. Also after the holidays (and my xbox 360 arrives) i am getting a external hardrive and then i will be fine with backing up my music

My favorite saying, from the Radio Mac Guys podcast ...

"There are two kinds of computer users. Those who who have lost data and those who will."

but no band will make money touring without the promotional help of a record label. any band that could be self suficient on tour has that status because a record company has already made them famous. believe me. 3 of my last 4 roomates have been aspiring musicians and one of my best friends is on tour with a signed artist. huge difference.