Sign in to follow this  
MacEnvy

Senior Microsoft Engineer by Day, Mac Evangelist by Night

I am the Senior Microsoft/Citrix Engineer for a large financial institution and have been a Mac User for around 5 years steady. I got tired of always patching/cleaning/rebuilding my personal systems on a regular basis and decided to make the move back to a Mac so I could actually get some productive use of my computers. I have convinced over 20 people to switch to the mac, all have been very pleased with the transisition. I am also developing a website ("www.macenvy.com") to help others become aware of the benefits of owning a Mac.

//MacEnvy

I have heard many stories like this, of people using different personal systems than work systems. I have even heard that some Microsoft programmers use Linux! :shock:

I swore I would not buy a MAC until Apple had at least 51% of the market. Now I have a household on MACs, and I am working night and day to convert friends and family over to the Apple side on my blog. The link to my actual switcher story is: http://macdad.blogspot.com/2005_02_01_macd...ad_archive.html

Scroll down to one story to "I'll never buy a MAC!, Now I have 3, why I switched."

Yup, I guess a primary switching reason is that Windows is frustrating. At least Apple does everything...elegantly :)

I swore I would not buy a MAC until Apple had at least 51% of the market.  Now I have a household on MACs, and I am working night and day to convert friends and family over to the Apple side on my blog.  The link to my actual switcher story is: http://macdad.blogspot.com/2005_02_01_macd...ad_archive.html

Scroll down to one story to "I'll never buy a MAC!, Now I have 3, why I switched."

Great story! I really enjoyed reading it. Welcome to the revolution! Just one thing annoyed me slightly though. Its Mac not MAC. It doesn't stand for anything :P

Still a great article! :D

I have heard many stories like this, of people using different personal systems than work systems.  I have even heard that some Microsoft programmers use Linux!  :shock:

I am a software developer for Windows products, but as you mention, I use Linux as well. My laptop was dual boot until just recently. I needed the extra space back for Windows.

I have been thinking very seriously lately about getting a Mac for my home machine and setting up my PC for my 6 year old son with his educational games that he likes to play.

I have just about decided on the Dual 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5 system. If I do that, I plan on putting a gig of RAM on it after the fact.

I swore I would not buy a MAC until Apple had at least 51% of the market.

Darnit! If all PC owners had that attitude it'll never happen! :D

I enjoyed your article. You should send it to Apple so they can make a switcher ad outta you!

Long post! :D

I started seriously using computers when I was 11 (1991). I taught myself the basics of programming by reviewing the code of QBASIC's games (Noodles and Gorillas).

Going through highschool, the window's operating system was the only thing available... we had one macintosh lab, and I used it for one course, but always prefered the Window's operating system.

Moving into University, i'd built my own PC with Windows to save money, and Windows / Unix were the operating systems of choice in programming classes. At the end of my undergrad, UNIX was what I used with all the modeling I was doing. I was unhappy with the inefficiencies of X-window emulators for Windows and would find myself spending much more time in UNIX labs at school then at home.

When I started my master's in a different part of the country, I needed to get a computer that I could take with me to conferences and back home with me, as well as something to work on until my desktop computer could get sent out to me. I was also just finishing an undergrad and moving at the same time, so money wasn't something I had a lot of. A professor of humanities at the school was selling his old Powerbook G3 FireWire 400MHz 192mb RAM laptop for a very reasonable price... I took it for a day and gave it a whirl. I was a bit hesitant about the compatibility between my old files and the Mac OS (which I realise now was silly :) ) ... but I ended up buying it.

I named it Gabriel, and it was the best computer I have ever had... I loaded 10.2 Jaguar on it and it ran beautifully...and then Panther when it came out. I was impressed that with every new OS that was released, I could still run it on Gabriel, even with the 4 year old hardware set up... What also impressed me was that Gabriel really became a terminal... a portable terminal with which I could access the multiple UNIX servers I was using on campus, and be able to locally view applications I was running remotely (via X11), without ANY sort of lag or extra use of resources (dependant on connection), which is more than what Windows X managers can boast. About 6 months ago luck fell on my lap my supervisor made it possible for me to buy a new Powerbook (which I've lovingly named Plato).

I still use Windows(when I have to), but I will never purchase another Microsoft OS so long as Apple is producing amazing OS's such as OS X. Everyone around me tells me I should work for Apple because once you get me going, I just don't stop preaching about its qualities (can you tell? :) )

In my research group I am one of a few who are keen on Apple computers... so its a hard battle trying to convince PC users to switch...but I'm doing my part... but I didn't think anyone was as passionate as me about my computer...to the point where I've named it... and love it as a companion that allows me to facilitate my needs. But when Adam played Jonathan Coulton's "Laptop Like You" on the first podcast I had ever heard... I knew I wasn't alone.

*snif* I love you guys... :D

Now I'm going to go work on my top 10 switch list :)

...I didn't think anyone was as passionate as me about my computer...to the point where I've named it...

*snif* I love you guys... :D

I've secretly named my computer Vinnie.

Don't tell anyone!

We Mac geeks have to stick together!

I named my first G4 Victoria, and my first Powerbook Julia.

When I got the Lampshade iMac I named it Bathsheba.

I still need to name my G5 and my new Powerbook

Any suggestions??? They have to be sexy lady names!!

I recently named my Windows XP laptop, but I cannot mention that name in the forum, because it would not be appropriate for all audiences. :D

I've been progamming on various platforms for 18 years, and would have bet a pay check that I would never own a Mac, that all changed 18 months ago, with the addition of a Powerbook 12" for photo shooting... Sine then I now have a PowerMac G4 dual 2.0, my daughter has and iBook, I've purchased 3 Mac Mini's one, Mom, Dad and me... I love my Mac's...

Bill

Oh yea, all three of mine have names... Shuttle, Enterprise, Voyager bet you can't guess what else I like...

I think u meant G5 not G4. An i need a name for my new dual G5

I've been progamming on various platforms for 18 years, and would have bet a pay check that I would never own a Mac, that all changed 18 months ago, with the addition of a Powerbook 12" for photo shooting... Sine then I

I was the same way. I never thought I would have a desire to run Linux or own a Mac. I starrted running Linux about two years ago. I got my first Mac back in May. The only time that I run Windows now is at work. :(

I named my first G4 Victoria, and my first Powerbook Julia.

When I got the Lampshade iMac I named it Bathsheba.

I still need to name my G5 and my new Powerbook

Any suggestions???  They have to be sexy lady names!!

Lucy and Ethel :)

Sexy Lady Names, how about

Noah's Wife

:lol: I crack me up. (and Yeah, I know it's not that funny. :)

Years ago I read a book and the author discussed how he names his computers after Greek Gods and Goddesses, so I started naming my computers after characters from Moby Dick. My wife uses the Lord of the Rings trilogy for names. Maybe Eowyn, from LOTR.

I had a student a couple of years ago whose official name is Labia. Is that sexy?

What about Lisa?

Sorry, I'm just being goofy.

-Rob

powerbook-lisette

g5- angel

;)

sophia, lauren, elisabeth, anastasia

are also good names

i started out with princess cinderella next will be princess aurora

sorry really girly i know i just got so happy with not having swearwords in their names...

Rhiannon, Carrie, Christine... how about those?

It's funny, the first MacCast I ever heard was the "Laptop Like You" one too.

i used to call my Windows machine a @£$% piece of @£$%

But i call my mac "Emily" thats cos the most important person to me is called emily so i thought it would only be right to call the most important item i own Emily

Sad i know but thats me :P