Sign in to follow this  
siuyee

Aperture

I got to try it for a few minutes and my overall impression was that, it was great and easy to use, but it didn't impress me as much as its video demo did. Some features overlap with iPhoto, for example keywords tagging, grouping, rating...etc. To be precise, it requires a seperate library and you need to import (copy) your photos into it. There is an option to import from the iPhoto library, but I don't think the two synchronize. Aperture's selling point is its speed. It gets me thinking if Photoshop CS2 (namely Bridge) isn't that bloated for simple browsing and adjustments, would there be a market for Aperture?

I got to try it for a few minutes and my overall impression was that, it was great and easy to use, but it didn't impress me as much as its video demo did. Some features overlap with iPhoto, for example keywords tagging, grouping, rating...etc. To be precise, it requires a seperate library and you need to import (copy) your photos into it. There is an option to import from the iPhoto library, but I don't think the two synchronize. Aperture's selling point is its speed. It gets me thinking if Photoshop CS2 (namely Bridge) isn't that bloated for simple browsing and adjustments, would there be a market for Aperture?

How much cpu power and ram is needed for the full speed of aperture?

I don't have all the spec requirements off my head, but I know it requires at least 1G of ram. You can go to apple.com if you need to know the cpu requirement.

I don't have 1 gig of ram, but there's a hack online to bypass the requirements (by editing a xml file).

Core image, it's your GPU that does all the image editing in this program i think. Its not merely a matter of photoshop having bloat. This is something that can only be done on OSX actually, because of it's advanced core image API, and windows won't do anything similar until vista.

Core image, it's your GPU that does all the image editing in this program i think. Its not merely a matter of photoshop having bloat. This is something that can only be done on OSX actually, because of it's advanced core image API, and windows won't do anything similar until vista.

I see, so programs need to be coded specifically to use GPU, and Photoshop isn't using it yet?

Well, it's part of OSX, OSX has an API called core image, it can execute visual effects on the GPU, making applying fitlers often immediate. The program needs to make use of core image. GPU's now days are really just very fast and powerful visual processing units.

I disagree. For a program that costs $500, it has no where near the features that Photoshop CS2 has, and Photoshop costs just a bit more. True, it is very easy to use, but there isn't much that it can do to begin with. You can tweak a few settings and organize your photos, but you can't do as much as you can with Photoshop. I don't think professionals who pre-ordered this app really got their $500 worth.

I do have to say that it does fly on my iMac 1.9ghz with 1GB of ram though. Loads up in under 3 seconds and images load relatively fast (JPG images at least, RAW files start to make osx slow down significantly).

I disagree. For a program that costs $500, it has no where near the features that Photoshop CS2 has, and Photoshop costs just a bit more. True, it is very easy to use, but there isn't much that it can do to begin with. You can tweak a few settings and organize your photos, but you can't do as much as you can with Photoshop. I don't think professionals who pre-ordered this app really got their $500 worth.

I do have to say that it does fly on my iMac 1.9ghz with 1GB of ram though. Loads up in under 3 seconds and images load relatively fast (JPG images at least, RAW files start to make osx slow down significantly).

I think you have missed the entire point of this product. It's for professionals to whom the features offer a reason to finally leave film and go digital; Aperture provides film light boxes and other such equipment that is absolutly imperitive to a professional photographer (that's photographer, not graphic artist, designer or manipulator mind you) in a much quicker, simpler, more powerful way.

This is a revolutionary product if you care to consider its power and the way in which the people it was actually designed for are going to use it; it's not supposed to be anything like Photoshop at all, that's aimed at a whole different customer but photographers have been forced to use it thanks to a lack of Aperture.

This is a revolutionary product if you care to consider its power and the way in which the people it was actually designed for are going to use it; it's not supposed to be anything like Photoshop at all, that's aimed at a whole different customer but photographers have been forced to use it thanks to a lack of Aperture.

Exactly! Can I have one?

After the student discount, Aperture is only $250.

It offers a way for photographers to easily organize and perform a single edit on a large number of files without doing them each individually, photoshop is for graphics designers this program is for photographers.

I don't have all the spec requirements off my head, but I know it requires at least 1G of ram. You can go to apple.com if you need to know the cpu requirement.

I don't have 1 gig of ram, but there's a hack online to bypass the requirements (by editing a xml file).

You also need a Powermac, powerbook or iMac but the Mac Mini aren't compatible or the iBook.

Its a interesting package I haven’t used it yet, but I will make some comments as a BA Photographic Art Student, most users of Photoshop only use around 10-15% of its features and this is where a program such as aperture is aimed at. I’m sure many will complain that it lacks the features of Photoshop, this is true however in my honest opinion it not targeting the pro or highly competent user of Photoshop, it looks to me to provide a simpler program for tweaking and adjusting image for colour balance, tonal gradient, and filtering, this program for me is aimed at those preparing image for multimedia programs such director and flash, print purposes, or for those looking for a simpler method of raw format processing. i guess the acid test for the program is if my university lecture will recomend my university to liecense it on the 300 to 400 macs that are all ready running Photoshop CS

You also need a Powermac, powerbook or iMac but the Mac Mini aren't compatible or the iBook.

I think the iBook is compatible with it as my iBook suports Core Image. The mac mini doesn't tho

Photoshop does have some of the features that aperture has, although I will agree it is a revolutionary product just not one thats been perfected yet. Importing RAW in CS2 allows for a host of other features that are aimed squarly at Photographers and Retouchers. Aperture has recieved slightly above average to average reviews but at the end of the day most people are saying dont buy it for the moment. To my mind if your not using Aperture to import RAW then forget it Photoshop and bridge are far superior tools.

I think things will start to change a bit when Adobes Lightbox comes out (I think its called that) but for the moment my opinion and it is only my opinion... dont bother, learn photoshop instead.

Here is what I did. I only shoot in RAW now. Import the photos from my D50 to my PowerBook and Aperture. Do simple editing there (crop, brightness, contrast). Then after that is done, I export it to a 16 bit tiff (and it is such a wonder why I am running out of HD space:) and edit that in photoshop CS2.

Here is what I did. I only shoot in RAW now. Import the photos from my D50 to my PowerBook and Aperture. Do simple editing there (crop, brightness, contrast). Then after that is done, I export it to a 16 bit tiff (and it is such a wonder why I am running out of HD space:) and edit that in photoshop CS2.

My problem is I think it was rushed to market, and it's still buggy, and slow. I think it was rushed out to beat Adobe's Lightroom to market.

I have been using Aperture for about a month now.

It is a great program to help you organise your pictures and perform basic editing that you wouldn't want to have to go into photoshop for.

One of my favourite features is the 'Stack' system, which means that if you shoot loads of pictures of the same scene you can group them all together and just pick the one you want.

Plus it is great on a dual monitor setup!

I think the iBook is compatible with it as my iBook suports Core Image. The mac mini doesn't tho

Actually the new intel mini's support core image. The PPC ones don't.