Sign in to follow this  
jslondon

ideal intel Mac

Rather than guessing what Apple will announce, and when, let's hope they pay attention to fora like this to get ideas of what should be offered in the new intel macs. Here is what I would want to see in a notebook, and would buy instantly:

12" ultra fast, ultra light (<=1.5kg), long battery life (>4 hours), dual core, able to dual-boot windows xp inside of mac os x. I.e. Mac OS X can act as a 'dmz' for all communication to the world, and make the windows less susceptible to bad stuff. Fast boot thru flash drive (thanks Adam), large HDD (>150gb) for user data separate from boot system. Now, here's the fun part (and why I chose 12"): It should fit into an integrated docking station or harness behind the 20" Cinema display, such that it's form factor mimics that of the current Imacs. When docked, you can power it on directly from the screen switch, and use the integrated multiple firewire and usb ports on the screen stand.

This combo will be as beautiful as an Imac, but also be perfect for a 'road warrior', all for <= $2500.

Your thoughts and comments please.

all for <= $2500.  

Yeah right

My words exactly. There are some nice ideas that you have got but there is no way apple will bring all that out for 1 upgrade. it would also mean the cinema displays would have to change as well. Its a nice idea wlike i said but we have to be realistic. Apple are a cool company with great ideas and i am sure they can do that but they are also a business and so they won't.

Anyway why the hell would u want to be able to boot into winblows? I always used to think in needed to be able to but as i have learnt more about macs i just don't need that

I think it wiuld be very cool to see the 17 inch Powerbook with a 3.6 GHZ P4 with H/T.

I think it wiuld be very cool to see the 17 inch Powerbook with a 3.6 GHZ P4 with H/T.

The P4 produces an amazing amount of heat, which is why notebooks with P4 processors are not known for long battery life. You can use it as a space heater if you have a cold room in your house.

The Pentium M is the best chip in production today when you consider performance vs power consumption, IMHO.

Why have boot capability in Windows? This puts Apple squarely in the "no more excuses" area for all businesses that have lots of proprietary software developed for the Windows box (because they had to!) They could justify the change to Macs with savings in overall I/T support costs, while preserving their investment in existing software and services.

Apple should pick the pricing point that maximises the area under their price/volume curve. My guess is the changes to the Cinema Display to add a docking station or harness are relatively trivial.

The P4 produces an amazing amount of heat, which is why notebooks with P4 processors are not known for long battery life. You can use it as a space heater if you have a cold room in your house.

The Pentium M is the best chip in production today when you consider performance vs power consumption, IMHO.

Absolutly correct Professor, I couldn't agree more. Also, have you read about the H/T issues that went on last year? If the MacIntels have standard H/T technology then I for one won't be buying one straight away, or anytime soon for that matter. What a fiasco.

Why have boot capability in Windows?  This puts Apple squarely in the "no more excuses" area for all businesses that have lots of proprietary software developed for the Windows box (because they had to!)  They could justify the change to Macs with savings in overall I/T support costs, while preserving their investment in existing software and services.

Apple should pick the pricing point that maximises the area under their price/volume curve.  My guess is the changes to the Cinema Display to add a docking station or harness are relatively trivial.

At the end of the day you have two computers there really which doesn't help anyone. If it's designed for Mac only then it runs Mac only and the same goes for Windows. If you are going to buy a new Mac that dual boots for double the price of a standard Mac then you may as well save some and buy a Mac and a network cable because it won't do anything differently.

This would be an extreeme gameing laptopl that would be a true desktop replacement. Also a $1100 laptop with a 3.0 GHZ P4 with H/T beats a $3000 2.26 GHZ Pentiium M in all sorts of tests.

Seeing as my girlfriends Intel p4 3.0ghz frequently burns my legs, sounds like an aircraft turbofan and the case get too hot to handle, I’m in no rush to see Apple Intel laptops, I just prey that the next generations are quiet and cool like the desktop AMD chips.

apples laptops will use a low power 2.16GHz intel processor that will be fully dual core by the end of 2006

Seeing as my girlfriends Intel p4 3.0ghz frequently burns my legs, sounds like an aircraft turbofan and the case get too hot to handle, I’m in no rush to see Apple Intel laptops, I just prey that the next generations are quiet and cool like the desktop AMD chips.

I know how you feel on this one, I have had similar thoughts but the PM is the best CPU on the market right now for mobile use and many even swear by it (on the Intel side) for desktops although technically it should flounder.

I have to have faith in Apple. They certainly know what people think of their products and they know their reputation. Steve for one is very aware of what he needs. This isn't a request from Steve, it's an order and I truly believe (/me hopes) that Steve would call and end to Macs before he let that kind of fiasco happen. Apple portables have to be quiet, fast, reliable, stable, cool, sexy, functional, well built, well designed etc. and if they arn't then I don't think they would bother. Trust me, Intel is very aware of this themselves and won't need to be told even though Apple won't be able to help themselves.

"Have trust in Steve, your ass belongs to Apple." - Edited film quote.

This would be an extreeme gameing laptopl that would be a true desktop replacement. Also a $1100 laptop with a 3.0 GHZ P4 with H/T beats a $3000 2.26 GHZ Pentiium M in all sorts of tests.

Except the test where you sit them on your legs for 30 minutes. You can withstand one, the other you can't. :)

Actually a 2.26ghz Pentium M compares well to a 3.4ghz Pentium 4. Pentium M is a good chip.

A Pentium 4 is a really dumb chip for a laptop, hot, power demanding (like say 1 hour battery life at best) and doesn't offer much speed over a Pentium M!

The CPU used in the Intel Powerbooks is going to be something like a 2ghz dual core Yonah. With about 30 watts peak power draw, much lower power draw when not working as hard. Lets see, this is a power draw comparable to a current 7447. At 2ghz. Dual core. We're talking about a powerbook around the speed of a 2ghz or 2.3ghz powermac! with say 4 hours battery life and no more heat than a G4. Now, Jobs certainly was serious when he said intel has better power per watt! :lol: i don't think many of you maccies actually realise how insanely great a product the first intel powerbook will be. :D

Actually a 2.26ghz Pentium M compares well to a 3.4ghz Pentium 4. Pentium M is a good chip.

A Pentium 4 is a really dumb chip for a laptop, hot, power demanding (like say 1 hour battery life at best) and doesn't offer much speed over a Pentium M!

The CPU used in the Intel Powerbooks is going to be something like a 2ghz dual core Yonah. With about 30 watts peak power draw, much lower power draw when not working as hard. Lets see, this is a power draw comparable to a current 7447. At 2ghz. Dual core. We're talking about a powerbook around the speed of a 2ghz or 2.3ghz powermac! with say 4 hours battery life and no more heat than a G4. Now, Jobs certainly was serious when he said intel has better power per watt! :lol: i don't think many of you maccies actually realise how insanely great a product the first intel powerbook will be. :D

How do you know that it will be a PB? lol jk but that would be very cool and would be a good Mac to intel first to demenstrate the laptop power and compete with other wintels.

I just read the numbers on the raw test scores.

i don't think many of you maccies actually realise how insanely great a product the first intel powerbook will be. :D

On the contary, I think the Mac community is very well informed about the benefits of switching to Intel. Overall people seem really "psyched" about it with a few that cling to all that is PowerPC. I don't think anyone here has said the first MacIntel PowerBook will be a bad or even mediocre product but I do believe the product will seem prehistoric in just 12-24 months time.

Both Intel and Apple are in a good place right now and R&D is flying. Whatever they release they will be brave to go market crashing right out of the gate, but in a few months time with some real world testing under their belt and possibly another release of OSX, they may well be in a position to do so.

Just as a side note; the phrase "you maccies" implies that you don't use a Mac? May I ask what your background is? I can also assure you that although we are all fans of the Mac platform, very few of us started with a Mac and even fewer are lucky enough to be purely Mac based. Although I currently am at home my office is Windows PC based and I still have to work with them all day long and thats not to mention the clients.

I have a ibook and a mac mini, but I came to macs from being a geeky build it yourself pc gamer. :wink: You know the sort of person who reads tomshardware constantly, who never really thought that much of powerpc to begin with. If you read the artical on anandtech, about him trying out a mac it's very similar to my story.

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2232

I of course still use my PC, for gaming/HDTV/video encoding etc.

Overclocking helps.

Note the 2.26ghz pentium m keeping up with a athlon 64 4000+ in photoshop. That's not overclocked.