Sign in to follow this  
appletonrc

Windows Firewire Drive on osx?

So I convinced my co-worker to get a mac, and he finds a problem. He has a Firewire drive that he used on his PCs and hooked it up to the Mac. All was fine, but the drive was read only. He opened the permissions on the windows side and hooked it back to the mac with the same results. Any easy way to make this read/write on the mac, without having to reformat?

I assume one way is to use the root user in the terminal and change the permissions that way, but it seems like there should be an easy way.

Any help?

It is almost certainly the case that this hard drive is formatted NTFS. OS X will only mount an NTFS drive in read-only mode.

If the drive was formatted FAT32 you would be able to read/write under both Windows and OS X, but this certainly would require reformatting it.

There are some disdavantages in formatting FAT32, especially on very large hard drives, as the cluster sizes will be large and small files will use larger amounts of disk space.

Is there a computer available with enough free space to temporarily hold all of the files now on this drive?

Yeah, file transfer could be done, but it was more of the ability to use the same drive on two computers, the PC and the new mac.

Yeah, it is NTFS, there is our problem apperently.

Thanks for the info.

Just remember to format it for Fat32 and your problem should go away. Windows XP won't let you format it as Fat32 because it's too big, so you can either use the mac, or use something like Partition Magic on your PC.

Just remember to format it for Fat32 and your problem should go away. Windows XP won't let you format it as Fat32 because it's too big, so you can either use the mac, or use something like Partition Magic on your PC.

Unless you have Service Pack 2 (and possibly 1, I can't remember, I have blocked it out ;)).

Unless you have Service Pack 2 (and possibly 1, I can't remember, I have blocked it out ;)).

Why should even have service packs!?!?!?, why can't an OS be easy to use and not punish the user for using another OS and you have pay even more for something that should come standard?!!?!?!?! how outrageous!!

Why should even have service packs!?!?!?, why can't an OS be easy to use and not punish the user for using another OS and you have pay even more for something that should come standard?!!?!?!?! how outrageous!!

Kind of like 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4? And we had to pay.

Exactly. I don't agree with updates, but a Service Pack is a free OS upgrade in theory which is a good deal. Windows XP has had two major updates over it's lifespan; Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2. Both have added functionality, security, harddrive recognition (kinda important) and many other major updates; all for free. How is that a bad thing?

In Apple's defense, I must say that the differences between say 10.2 and 10.3 is much larger than between SP1 and SP2.

What I meant was that when Matt Hoult said that you need SP 1 or 2 I meant that the surpport for what that SP did should be standard. soory for the confusion. :oops:

Sp2 was mostly a bug fix, what features did it offer? All I think of is a popup blocker and a better firewall.

Sp2 was mostly a bug fix, what features did it offer? All I think of is a popup blocker and a better firewall.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/features.mspx

Most of SP2 was security related, to counter the bashing Microsoft was getting about the lack of security features in the original XP.

These two are the only real enhancements that I can see that may have required an SP update. Another couple DirectX, WMP 9 could probably have been provided by standalone download.

Improved wireless support

Dramatically improves and simplifies the process of discovering and connecting to wireless networks.

Bluetooth technologies

Enables you to easily connect to the latest Bluetooth-enabled hardware devices such as keyboards, cell phones, and PDAs.