Sign in to follow this  
hetoreyn

Quad 2.5 G5

Well, you guys who are looking out for your Intel machines..... you can have them. I just got my Quad processor mac, and it kicks so much ass. Thought it makes sense for me cos I use Logic Pro 7 (Written for the Power PC) and it'll be a while before they update that to run on the intel system I should think. I may be wrong but since I already own Logic and I'm finishing up my second album I don't want to wait for the intel stuff.

What's it like. Awesome. You can really feel the speed difference. Alright I haven't maxed out the machine yet with my demanding musical needs (I run more than 50 instances of EXS, using Vienna Symphonic library samples, as well as other things, and lots of effects). Cos I'm still in the process of putting all my stuff on this machine. think I'll have to get another HD soon :P

If this is going to be the last ever Power PC mac, (which is quite possible) then it looks that they have done a great job of pulling out all the stops. I'd be interested to know how the intel systems perform next to this, as I'm still convinced that the intel systems will not match the Power PC chip for a while yet.

New mac and loving it :D

I would bet that for a while the Intel stuff will not be much faster than a Quad system. Probably the biggest inital difference will be moving from 4 physical CPU's to 2 dual core chips and way less power consumption and heat generation. It will probably take a couple of year before the Intel stuff really starts to be signifigantly faster than the system you just bought.

just a quick queory, about that, is the total processing power really 10Ghz

Man I would kill for one of those (well not really but you know what I mean)

I would be that for a while the Intel stuff will not be much faster than a Quad system.

They will be much slower.

Well, you guys who are looking out for your Intel machaines..... you can have them. I just got my quad processor mac, and it kicks so much ass. Thought it makes sense for me cos I use Logic Pro 7 (Written for the Power PC) and it'll be a while before they update that to run on the intel system I should think. I may be wrong but since I already own Logic and I'm finishing up my second album I don't want to wait for the intel stuff.

What's it like. Awesome. You can really feel the speed difference. Alright I haven't maxed out thet machine yet with my demanding musical needs (I run more than 50 instances of EXS, using Vienna Symphonic library samples, as well as other things, and lots of effects). Cos I'm still in the process of putting all my stuff on this machine. think I'll have to get another HD soon :P

If this is going to be the last ever Power PC mac, (which is quite possible) then it looks that they have done a great job of pulling out all the stops. I'd be interested to kjnow how the intel systems perform next to this, as I'm still convinced that the intel systems will not match the Power PC chip for a while yet.

New mac and loving it :D

I envy you soooooooo much. =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

Also I think that the intels will PALE in comparsion to your system.

hehe, thanks. I gotta say that my parents bought me this thing ... as my poor old G4 was really starting to feel the weight.

The speed of this thing is unfortunately not 10ghz .. though having 4 (or 2 dual core) chips must be overall rated as faster than 2.5, I wouldn't know how to tell. And obviously Mac OS still has to grow in order to use the full potential of this machine.

I dare say that there will be Quad core Intel systems eventually, but for me .. I'm really quite content with this.

I've been playing some games with this. World of Warcraft, and Tron 2.0. Tron was always a problem with my older macs, cos it requires a lot of grahpical power to get the screen glow and all, and especially the music to sync. I think it's a touch of bad coding on the gamers part cos my new machine performs this game flawlessly .. with maxed out settings (I'm using the nvidia 6600 .. not the really good nvidia card). But the music still misses from time to time ..but as I said .. that is down to the game not the mac.

World of Warcraft, is much simpler in terms of graphics but still takes a fair wack to make it work properly. Although I have seen better graphical performance from a 2.7 Dual G5 with an ATI 850 XT card .. the nvidia 6600 is not anywhere as good as the ATI 850 XT. I would need the 6600 GT to compete with that. Saying that though the game runs smoothly and thanks to the system performance loads everything extremely fast.

I guess you're all wondering how it does with video editing. Well that's not something that I do much of yet, so I haven't had a chance to do much with that. Though I have seen that on my new mac I can play much more formats of AVI files. I'm wondering why. I have Quicktime pro and I also have this on my laptop G4. And my G4 can barely play any AVI file. So I don't know if my new machine has more codecs built into it. Afterall this came with iMovie HD!

For music .. which is what I do alot of, it's fugging brilliant. Logic Pro 7 works a treat and loads my VSL samples nice and fast. Though I'm going to have to squeeze in some more ram (It came with 2 gig), so I can really max it out. Going to put another 4 gig in it.

I would be that for a while the Intel stuff will not be much faster than a Quad system.

They will me much slower.

In the beginning they will most likely be slower than the Quad G5, but a dual Merom would kick it's PPC butt.

In the beginning they will most likely be slower than the Quad G5, but a dual Merom would kick it's PPC butt.

I doubt that.

hehe .. I ws actually going to say that too :D but I thought it would sound silly, even though it's what I think.

I guess we won't know until the next gen of mac systems come out and are compared professionally against each other. Quite naturally the Quad system will be eventually surpassed .. I mean .. don't they all eventually!

But at the moment the Quad mac system is Mr. Big! And it's quite possible that it will be the last run of mac systems using the Power PC chip. This system has really had every improvement imaginable. And I feel contented to never even look at the Intel systems. (There's a good reason that I came away from PC's and Intel computers a few years ago!).

I never had a PC that didn't need reformating every three months, or catch a virus even more often dispite having all the protection in the world installed. Granted they're better for gaming, but that's only cos us poor mac users end up with ports of PC games. If they actually wrote these games for Mac at the same time they would perform better. As World of Warcraft can attest to. That game was written as a dual format, and works just as well on any machine.

That's not to say that you guys shouldn't look forward to the Intel Macs. I hope they prove themselves to be great machines, it'd be bad for Apple if they don't. In fact the Intel chips seem to make sense for the Laptop ranges. But I will sit here with a big smug grin on my face if they all turn out to be crap :P hehe!

I think i would.

I doubt that.

So you believe that a PowerMac coming out a year after another one won't be more powerful?

Whatever you are smoking... I want some!

I never had a PC that didn't need reformating every three months, or catch a virus even more often dispite having all the protection in the world installed.

That has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to with the software. If windows didn't suck so much then you wouldn't have the kind of problems that PC's have. That being said you also have to remember that while Mac OS is way better it is not perfect either. The main reason you don't have the kind of mal ware/virus problems on a mac that you have on PC's is because there a so few of them in comparison that no one bothers to attack them.

I never had a PC that didn't need reformating every three months, or catch a virus even more often dispite having all the protection in the world installed.

That has nothing to do with the hardware and everything to with the software. If windows didn't suck so much then you wouldn't have the kind of problems that PC's have. That being said you also have to remember that while Mac OS is way better it is not perfect either. The main reason you don't have the kind of mal ware/virus problems on a mac that you have on PC's is because there a so few of them in comparison that no one bothers to attack them.

Leo Laporte had something interesting to say about that. He said there are viruses for firewalls with only 100,000 users. OSX has a much larger audience than that. It's a secure operating system.

If the software is not written to take advantage of multiple CPUs then his quad 2.5ghz is as fast as my dual 2.5ghz (not taking into account memory bus) But if the software is multirpocessor aware, then it can be up to twice as fast as mine.

hehe .. I ws actually going to say that too :D but I thought it would sound silly, even though it's what I think.

I guess we won't know until the next gen of mac systems come out and are compared professionally against each other. Quite naturally the Quad system will be eventually surpassed .. I mean .. don't they all eventually!

But at the moment the Quad mac system is Mr. Big! And it's quite possible that it will be the last run of mac systems using the Power PC chip. This system has really had every improvement imaginable. And I feel contented to never even look at the Intel systems. (There's a good reason that I came away from PC's and Intel computers a few years ago!).

I never had a PC that didn't need reformating every three months, or catch a virus even more often dispite having all the protection in the world installed. Granted they're better for gaming, but that's only cos us poor mac users end up with ports of PC games. If they actually wrote these games for Mac at the same time they would perform better. As World of Warcraft can attest to. That game was written as a dual format, and works just as well on any machine.

That's not to say that you guys shouldn't look forward to the Intel Macs. I hope they prove themselves to be great machines, it'd be bad for Apple if they don't. In fact the Intel chips seem to make sense for the Laptop ranges. But I will sit here with a big smug grin on my face if they all turn out to be crap :P hehe!

Key word eventually.

I think i would.

(Looks around for cops.) Um so would I.

That is unless you had less than 2GB of ram.

I think i would.

(Looks around for cops.) Um so would I.

That is unless you had less than 2GB of ram.

Please nobody go out and kill somebody so you can nick their computer, I didn't want to give you any ideas! lol

I was just joking too. :twisted:

I will sit here with a big smug grin on my face if they all turn out to be crap :P hehe!

Same here.

Power PC processors are the best ones around. Although there are some with speeds of up to 3 or even (!) 4 GHz, the PPC is faster. I believe that this is because of the processor finding better ways of running with it's "slow" speed. Anyway, my 400 MHz iMac was faster than my friend's new Intel Windows system. Obviously, Mac OSX makes better use of RAM, but it is not significantly easier to run by itself. And his computer was running XP, with a new (although new insanely fast, still not slow) processor. My iMac was 6 years old. The Mac hardware was just better.

And intel hardware is what everybody else has. When they suggest dropping Firewire, they suggest losing their edge over everyone else. Although it has been said that they will depend more on software to be awesome, they are very much setting themselves back a step (more than 1 step, as I mentioned, their 6 year old computers are comprable to a newer, possibly 3 yeap old, Intel PC) in the hardware department.

And you don't go to older technology so you can get different tech! Everyone knows that! *Dope slaps Apple*

Power PC processors are the best ones around. Although there are some with speeds of up to 3 or even (!) 4 GHz, the PPC is faster. I believe that this is because of the processor finding better ways of running with it's "slow" speed. Anyway, my 400 MHz iMac was faster than my friend's new Intel Windows system. Obviously, Mac OSX makes better use of RAM, but it is not significantly easier to run by itself. And his computer was running XP, with a new (although new insanely fast, still not slow) processor. My iMac was 6 years old. The Mac hardware was just better.

And intel hardware is what everybody else has. When they suggest dropping Firewire, they suggest losing their edge over everyone else. Although it has been said that they will depend more on software to be awesome, they are very much setting themselves back a step (more than 1 step, as I mentioned, their 6 year old computers are comprable to a newer, possibly 3 yeap old, Intel PC) in the hardware department.

And you don't go to older technology so you can get different tech! Everyone knows that! *Dope slaps Apple*

Right.

eternalnewb, you really don't know what you're talking about... Powerpc is good... but a 2.7ghz CPU is not faster than a 3.8ghz Pentium 4..... Though it's not far behind.

In actual fact the best processor around is the Athlon X2 4800+, it beats everything in the benchmarks. :D

eternalnewb, you really don't know what you're talking about... Powerpc is good... but a 2.7ghz CPU is not faster than a 3.8ghz Pentium 4..... Though it's not far behind.

In actual fact the best processor around is the Athlon X2 4800+, it beats everything in the benchmarks. :D

It does beat everything in the benchmarks. I guess I like PowerPc and AMD processors.

(Accually I do like them both, just no intel inside for me.)