Sign in to follow this  
maxman

It "hacking" frontrow wrong?

hello again,

in response to joshr's post i say this: The problem is you are looking at Christianity in a "what can i get away with" mind set, i understand why you are disgusted with mass religion because many churches have simply turned it in to following a set of rules and regulations. The truth is there is only one religion and there is only one God, God does not call us to "religion", he sent his son to die on the cross so that we could be free from sin, not so that we could have some list of rules, the problem is people's mindset. For me i look at it like this: "how much can a serve the God who sent his one and only son to give me life, and live abundantly, not to mention who has given me the promise of eternal life, how much can i serve him, and how far away from evil can i stay, and the brings be great joy, just the fact that i can serve the creator of the universe, and that he knows me personal and calls me his child!

you are prothletising a little in my opinion but so did I so I suppose turnabout is fair play :). You said that there is only one religion wich I definitly agree with but then you described only the christian religion, I am a litttle confused by that. If in fact I look through the christian ethos here this sounds like a much healthier view of your religion. Still you formated your hard drive? seems a little over the top.

What if rather than only doing gods bidding what is actually going on is that we are in fact helping to fix the brokenness of god by fixing our own brokenness? So because you think it is wrong to steal music/software you don't do it. You effectivly heal a piece of you which in turn heals a bit of the world, which in turn heals a piece of the divine. What if god does not have total control of everything that happens in the world but instead needs our help to heal the world so that everyone can rejoin the divine? Just throwing out an alternative view where I don't see it necessary to feel so bad that you hacked frontrow that you need to reformat but instead you might just decide to uninstall it and not hack it again.

They cannot sell front row without a lot of risk. Front row is not very much software that can be installed, it is actually part of the OS. When you download enabler, it HACKS YOUR SYSTEM FILES and changes the core system files. When the front row update was brought out, it was Quite small files to go into the hacked files. FRONT ROW IS NOT AN APP!! THey Could not sell it without changing the system files on your computer. The other possibility would be to make it an app, but that would cost $ and development in amarket that is not theirs. They could sell a Remote, IR REciever, and Front Row, but since their market is totally different, would it make sense? Front Row is on those Computers to MAKE YOU WANT TO BUY THEM! If they Sell front Row as an app (even with a remote) you may not want to buy that mac mini after all. You may decide to buy a refurbished powerpc instead. Then they would lose their profits. The only alternative would to raise the Remote's price, but that would disattrac buyers and the whole value of that would be worthless.

Basically Apple put front row (along with the isight and other upgrades) in the new macs to appeal buyers. If buyers have front Row on their Macs, what is the appeal?

I know some people Just bought their new Powerbook (or whatever) and they want front row, but if you did that you should have thought about the transition and/or gotten an old, cheepy, Mac or just held out until your model was released. Your choice, your future.

Also Think: Do you have A Remote? (Big Question Huh). Personal experience tells me that front row is quite useless without a remote. I can play songs in itunes much easier, play movies in DVD Player with MUCH more Control, and everything else is better in its own app if it is standalone. You have More Control.

Just a Thought :D

#1. You've created a BIG "probably". If Apple wanted to distribute FrontRow at a price, it could be a download at the Applestore, mitigating many of those costs you mention. If Apple wanted to sell FrontRow, it would find a way to make money from it.

If apple felt they could make money selling it they would.

I have to disagree here.

I think it is possible that Apple is making more money by not selling Front Row. I've met a number of people that have bought full systems earlier than originally planned simply because they wanted Front Row with the remote, the Intel chip, or both. Remember, the average consumer doesn't have a clue how to BT a program or hack it onto a machine, so Apple is selling machines because people want this software.

Plus, we don't actually know Apple's plan with FrontRow and a full media-center computer. They probably have a good reason to not sell it, part of a plan maybe. Hmmmm... Those sneaky Apple folks.

-Rob

I just said that in my above post! Is this turning into a repeater where we take Credit for other people's post by rewriting them? I just noted that they sell it as a motivation to buy a computer, blah...blahh...blahh. Make up a new post, Dont "Restate" Mine.

Thank You.

I just said that in my above post! Is this turning into a repeater where we take Credit for other people's post by rewriting them? I just noted that they sell it as a motivation to buy a computer, blah...blahh...blahh. Make up a new post, Dont "Restate" Mine.

Thank You.

I didn't read your original post because I was responding to the person to whom I was "listening".

I'd apologize for repeating your ideas, but you're such a dick about the whole issue, I think I won't.

-Rob

Thank You.

I didn't read your original post because I was responding to the person to whom I was "listening".

I'd apologize for repeating your ideas, but you're such a dick about the whole issue, I think I won't.

-Rob

This cracked me up. When I read applgeek post I was takin back a bit but when I read yours I laughed to myself. Regardless though, do you really think that apple is able to sell computers starting at what $800, isn't that what a mini starts at, on the basis of a remote you can add for probably less than $50? The only people I know who are really motivated to purchase something based on the type of features you get with frontrow are geeks who would upgrade regardless. For example my fiance will not use any technology unless I do all of the set up and hand her something that is uber easy to use. Plus I ussually have to show her the benefit of something a few times before she will bother. I think this is pretty indicitive of the general populace. Make something really easy then demonstrate a clear benefit then if it's included anyway they might use it, maybe. Still it's an interesting debate.

Thank You

-Rob

i'll second this. was just complimenting your facts and the post times were so close together he could have started writing this before you ever posted.

I don't have it installed and definitely not interested in doing so, but...

I think Apple is extremely short-sighted in not making FrontRow available to every mac user who wants to use it.

Apple's behavior on this issue is the same as the one that the record companies have when they want to increase the price of individual songs offered in iTunes. It is just greed on their part.

I purchased a 15 '' powerbook 10 months ago...Apple surely don't expect me to buy another laptop just to get that application, now do they?

I don't if it's right or wrong and don't care. I just understand why people are hacking it and in all honesty my support to them until Apple makes this available to everyone.

I purchased a 15 '' powerbook 10 months ago...Apple surely don't expect me to buy another laptop just to get that application, now do they?

Yes, they do expect you to get another one.

As Jobs would say, him being interested in buddism, that downloading frontrow would be bad karma. :wink:

On the other hand, if someone is not providing software to us normal users, then I'd personally consider downloading it in a "fuck you" way. :P

Please remember this is a family friendly forum..... Please try to be as "Clean" as possible.

There have been a few comments in the abuse forum about Morn's language. I know we sometimes express our thoughts in unclean ways but children do look at this stuff and see it so please make these forums "family friendly'

They cannot sell front row without a lot of risk. Front row is not very much software that can be installed, it is actually part of the OS. When you download enabler, it HACKS YOUR SYSTEM FILES and changes the core system files. When the front row update was brought out, it was Quite small files to go into the hacked files. FRONT ROW IS NOT AN APP!! THey Could not sell it without changing the system files on your computer. The other possibility would be to make it an app, but that would cost $ and development in amarket that is not theirs. They could sell a Remote, IR REciever, and Front Row, but since their market is totally different, would it make sense? Front Row is on those Computers to MAKE YOU WANT TO BUY THEM! If they Sell front Row as an app (even with a remote) you may not want to buy that mac mini after all. You may decide to buy a refurbished powerpc instead. Then they would lose their profits. The only alternative would to raise the Remote's price, but that would disattrac buyers and the whole value of that would be worthless.

Basically Apple put front row (along with the isight and other upgrades) in the new macs to appeal buyers. If buyers have front Row on their Macs, what is the appeal?

I know some people Just bought their new Powerbook (or whatever) and they want front row, but if you did that you should have thought about the transition and/or gotten an old, cheepy, Mac or just held out until your model was released. Your choice, your future.

Also Think: Do you have A Remote? (Big Question Huh). Personal experience tells me that front row is quite useless without a remote. I can play songs in itunes much easier, play movies in DVD Player with MUCH more Control, and everything else is better in its own app if it is standalone. You have More Control.

Just a Thought :D

Would you feel guilty stealing from a theft? Because forcing you to buy a whole mac just to get frontrow isn't a very moral practise IMHO.

Ohh btw there is no reason that apple can't sell you software that modifies the OS. It's been done by others. Why this is something that microsoft actually does whenever they make a new version of say internet explorer.