Sign in to follow this  
mattconn24

Formating iPod

I was wondering if there was a way to partision my 5g iPod in order to use it like a thumb drive. I have a mac running 10.4.3 and my school's print labs all run windows. I was wondering if i could partision off about 5gigs of space for transfering files so that i could plug my iPod into a windows box and have it show up as a removeible drive and still have it work with itunes on my mac. If you can offer any help it would be greatly aprisheated.

I'm not sure about partitioning. In theory it should work you could use something like the Windows App Partition Magic.

What I've done before is attach the iPod to a Windows machine, run the Windows version of iPod Updater and take the Restore option. This will format the iPod to FAT32, readable/writable by both Windows and Mac.

If you then attach the iPod to your Mac, the Mac should recognize the iPod and sync it as if it was an empty iPod.

You may however experience syncing problems, ideally it's better to use HFS+ file system on an iPod that's connected to a Mac. When my iPod was FAT32 I found that iTunes would beachball when synching the iPod and also transfer speeds were much slower. If you don't often update the music on the iPod this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

thanks

Do you konw if it is possible to just put a 5gig fat32 partision on the ipod and have the mac just see the 30gig iPod as a 25gig and have the windows os see it as a 5gig removible HDD?? If you have any ideas if this is possible please let me know. I would like to keep the main part of the iPod formated for my mac. Also is there any way to defrag the ipod?? I move large movie files onto and off of it alot and i have noticed a slow down in the menu scrolling.

thanks again

thanks i guess i will just have to buy a thumb drive. Do you know if a way to defrag the iPod like i said i have noticed a slow down in the menu scrolling and the time it takes to start a song becuase i move large files on and off it so much. Any help would be great.

do you know if there is a free trial or if there is any freeware of shareware software that can do this? I don't really have $80.00 bucks to drop.

I tried defragging using Drive 10 a couple of years ago. After defragging for about 5 minutes the backplate of the iPod was hot enough to fry an egg on (no joke), I quickly stopped the defrag. On other forums I've read of people having the same experience.

I don't think iPods are designed to handle the sustained read/write that a defrag does. The drives don't have any cooling and little airflow.

I would suggest periodically running iPod software updater and doing a full restore. Also before you sync your music with iTunes take off any additional files on the disk.

I am not currently running a fat32 iPod i guess i was confussing when i was talking about it. I have decided to just use the iPod updater every now and then to completely erase and clean the iPod and the restore it. Thanks for the help.

I've just edited that bit out, on re-reading your post I became unsure you were using FAT32.

Why not try FAT32? If it doesn't work for you, you can always revert.

Or have you already tried that?

I have read many reveiws saying that it really slows down the transfer times and such to the iPod. But i may try it. Can you select the file type when you restore your iPod because i can't download apps onto my school's computers so i would have to be able to change the file type of my iPod from my mac.

I have read many reveiws saying that it really slows down the transfer times and such to the iPod. But i may try it.

Yeah agree, it does slow down transfers. Only you can judge whether the slow down is acceptable or not.

Can you select the file type when you restore your iPod because i can't download apps onto my school's computers so i would have to be able to change the file type of my iPod from my mac.

I don't think so, the file system type is dependent on whether you use the Windows or the Mac updater. So that's a bummer.

Looks like you may have to get that thumb drive.:)

Unless someone can provide some info on partitions.

well it is an excuse to get one of those sandisk 512mb cuzer micros that i have been trying to talk myself out of.

To deal with broken iPod due to partitions...

1. Plug it in with FireWire.

2. Go to Disk Utility, click on the "Apple iPod Media" (Note: Not the mounted "----'s iPod," I don't think it does a complete job)

3. Got to ERASE tab.

4. Go to security options.

5. Click on "zero disk." Click OK.

6. Select Mac OSX Extended (NOT UNIX!) from the drop-down menu of "file formats".

6. Click "ERASE" (Button, you are in the tab already)

7. Use the iPod FirmWare application (through SoftWare update, it is called "iPod updater <date of release>." Use the latest for current software.

8. You now have a blank iPod.

9. The iPod updater itself can have an "erase/install new iPod Software" mode. Just click that, not only "update." I think this will work fine, and you do not have the risk of that Disk Utility "UNIX file system" bricking it.

thanks for the info, but my iPod is not broken I was simply looking for a way to use my iPod with both my mac and a PC which i found an answer for. Also it is not the unix file system. That will mess an ipod up.

"iPod only works (as a music player) when its hard disk is formatted for the appropriate platform using the Mac OS Extended (HFS Plus) or FAT32 formats. Do not reformat the disk using Mac OS Standard (HFS), New Technology File System (NTFS), or UNIX File System (UFS) formats."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60957