Sign in to follow this  
joshr

Dual Monitor Imac

At work I have an Imac G5 and there is an extra 20" lcd floating around. I was wondering if there is a way to make that extra monitor function as a secondary deisplay for the imac.

Use Apple's VGA Display Adapter to connect the mini-VGA port on eMac, iMac G5, 12-inch PowerBook G4, or iBook to any VGA-equipped monitor or external projector for video-mirroring.

If I only mirror there is not much point since it is a 20" Imac and a 20" studio display, what about extending the desktop?

I didn't know there was a hack!

That has been one of the last few barriers to getting a G5!!!

The excuses for not getting one are wearing thinner now!

Is the hack safe/reliable/stable?

I called apple you just need a mini dvi to dvi. It costs 19.99.

The excuses for not getting one are wearing thinner now!

Is the hack safe/reliable/stable?

Rumor has it, yes. It's just like turning a switch to enable the feature.

I too am becoming highly tempted. Why should Apple be allowed to make a model of computer of which I do not own a single instance? I mean, not even one!

Just wait until I finish paying off this PowerBook! Then I'll use my credit card to teach them a lesson.

Its a bit galling that they turned the feature off in the first place.

A blatent and very cynical way of forcing us to buy a Powermac.

In the Wintel world, all one need to do to have dual display is to get suitable video cards.

Those that NEED dual display are likely to also need the higher power of a Powermac and so would likely purchase one anyway.

That hack is very stable and reliable. My company has been using it for a long time and we have had 0 problems with it.

I notice there is some confusion about doing this on an imac vs an ibook. I wanted to do it on an imac. I have done it as of this post. You don'y need the hack there are options for extending or mirroring or whatever in the system preferences. What you need is a minivga to vga adapter [$19 from apple] then you need a male vga to female dvi adapter which apple does not sell. You can get it online for about $14. I have it hooked up right now using an old monitor until I get the second adapeter so I can hook up the studio display.

Can you do it on a Powerbook and I do have the DVI to VGA cable that comes with it.

the adapter that comes with imacs [probably the same one that comes with powerbooks] is a female vga to male dvi. In other words it is backwards. You need the opposite male vga to female dvi.

Can you do it on a Powerbook and I do have the DVI to VGA cable that comes with it.

The PowerBook comes with both a DVI and VGA converter. You won't need any hack to do screen spanning because it's enabled by default on the PowerBook.

The thing works great!

I just used it on my Imac 17" G5 and it was great, and i don't see anything illegal or immoral about it. Its Mactacular!

God Bless

In Christ

Max

Well it worked good for me, i would say make a backup and go for it!

God Bless

In Christ

Max

I got my LCD tv screen hooked up and it rocks!! there is a bit of the resolution issues but it looks clear and calibrated.