Sign in to follow this  
tripperharrison

Faux right-click on the PowerBook?

Hello,

I've noticed that some right-click menus show up from time to time when I'm using the trackpad button on my 15" PowerBook (without using the control button).

I played around it and realized that Firefox in particular seems to allow a faux right-click. I didn't realize that if you held down the button for a second or so, the right-click menu appears. I can't get it to work on the desktop, or in some other programs.

It does work with the dock, however, so you can quit programs without having to go up to the menu at the top of the screen, or readjusting your hand to do the standard control-mouse click.

Do other people know about this? Is there a way to get this trick to work on the desktop, also?

Happy holidays...

Chris

i don't know if you're using iscroll for scrolling on the powerbook, but if you have two fingers on the trackpad and push the button at the same time it acts as a right click

I use the button on my iBook that way all the time (without the fingers on the scrolling trackpad). It's easier than control+clicking. I mostly use it in the Dock. Holding the button for a second is supposed to get you the right-click menu.

Yeah if you click on an app in the doc and hold it down for a second or two the right click menu comes up.

It is weird.

It is weird.

Not really, usefull if you dont have a right mouse button!

True.

It is weird.

Not really, usefull if you dont have a right mouse button!

True.

what?!!!

must be a powerbook only thing here [and I know.. topic is powerbook... but...]

what is all this "much easier than pressing command" business?

I have three fingers just haning-out as I navigate my real estate, with my index and thumb getting the business done. Mister nasty [middle finger] has no qualms with laying down for a second to hit the command button as I click. Would this make me weird or could the above commenters just be missing the beauty of our machine's entire layout?

iBook 12'

Or you could use One Finger Snap, it's not freeware, but it works. I can only use my Powerbook 1.67Ghz (last gen) button to right-click in the dock and that's about it. It's a feature, not a right click really.

FWIW, the holding the left mouse button down to get the right-click menu seems to be something built in to FireFox. I get the same behavior in firefox on a windows XP machine.