Sign in to follow this  
inis

iPod Shuffle Question :EVERYONE PLEASE READ

I just wanted to get as much feedback as possible. WHat would be your main reason for not buying a iPod Shuffle? Because there is no screen or because there is little memory?

Would you pay $180 for a 4gb Shuffle?

Would you pay $450 for a 16gb Nano?

thanks guys.

I have had no experience of the Shuffle and more over I haven't even looked at what it can do. Essentially it's never been an issue for me because I can't have a personal music player without a display of some kind, no way.

Insert ¢2 now.

Well i was look at a shuffle for my dad as a christmas, but like Matt said he needs to have a screen so he can see what he is playing. For me i don't look at them as i need 30gbs and 60gbs because of my library but if i was going to get 1 i would get the nano

Well i was look at a shuffle for my dad as a christmas, but like Matt said he needs to have a screen so he can see what he is playing. For me i don't look at them as i need 30gbs and 60gbs because of my library but if i was going to get 1 i would get the nano

Ah yes, size is important to me also, but the display stops me thinking about it before I get there. I got a new 5G 60Gb because I wanted a screen and storage, otherwise I would have gone for the Nano for sure. I can't have a Shuffle, it's not practical.

I guess the real question is, if you could get the same storage as a 3gb 5g from a nano, would you be willing to pay $100-$200 more than the 5g. Is it worth it to pay that much money for having something so much smaller.

I looked at the shuffle because although it is kind of a crappy mp3 player it is an apple and it uses itunes which is worth a lot. I could even do without the screen and with the small storage if only they would have a flash media expansion slot. If they would just add an SD or miniSd or even a proprietary apple media slot then it would be a good buy. I don't understand why they don't do that.

I had one for under a week. I hated it for one reason: USB.

Just don't use the shuffle funtion, and you will be able to move throughout the music if you know what order the albums are in. And with only 1 GB, you will be able to fit enough of your favorites on there for a while, without too much crap to sort through while looking for a good song. Really not that bad, and I loved it while using it. On the other hand....

USB

EEEEEK!!!! RUN AWAY!!!! IT"S EVIL!!!!!

Just don't use the shuffle funtion' date=' and you will be able to move throughout the music if you know what order the albums are in. And with only 1 GB, you will be able to fit enough of your favorites on there for a while, without too much crap to sort through while looking for a good song. Really not that bad, and I loved it while using it. On the other hand....

USB

You do realize there hasnt been a firewire iPod since. Maybe you coud explain your ojections to USB in this case. Alot of people bitch about transfering movies all the time to their videos. But you can dump a gig pretty frickin quick with USB. You would definetly have to have a stopwatch to notcie the difference

Not the USB 1.1 I was limited to at the time.

And even 2.0 (High-speed "480 MB/second") is noticably slower than Firewire. Although the commonly stated (on these boards) "3 times as slow" is exaggerating, it is so much slower IN MOST CASES* that it is a major hinderance while transferring files.

* The speed of USB is based on processor speed (not "based on," but uses processors), so a Quad G5 2.5 GHz would actually go almost 480 MB/second, which is really fast where is actually happens. However, the average user (especially on OSX which does make worse use of it) will see a slower speed than Firewire, usually about half as fast. About OSX not making good use of USB-- it is true, OSX could potentially be improved to make USB faster, but either way Firewire is a better product.

About dropping "the better product" to make it thinner for the Windows (majority) users...

I think that the Video chip should be about a trade for the Firewire chip. So in theory, the 5th Gen should not be drastically thinner than the 4th Gen color, especially with longer battery life. So they are reducing the size anyway, through other smaller electronics. So why no leave a Firewire chip in there? My (slightly strange) logic says that it would still be thinner than the 4th Gen, and MUCH thinner than that Creative Zen M thingy. They are not gaining customers by making it 1/8 of an inch thinner anyway. All they are doing is losing Mac customers-- I would have one by now if it had Firewire. This is not so much a question of real application (although it is some) but that I just expect the best that Apple can do from Apple. They have always done that, and although their stuff isn't cheap, it works. It is not supposed to be the cheapest in it's class. It is supposed to be good. And though this may not be an issue of price as much as size, I have come to expect the best quality anything (software, computers, iPods) from Apple. And these could be better for Mac users. The Windows users are loving the fact that it is 1/8 of an inch thinner, but I do not like the fact that it no longer has something that was useful to me.

My point is people that want to argue that USB is extremely slower, can have their opinion. I could provide real world numbers all day and not change the mind of people who say things like 3 times.

I was just pointing out i didnt think there is much of an argument when transferring a max of 1 gig (shuffle). You might be talking about a minute or two, tops. its alot different than swapping out 60 gigs of video every day.

The lack of a screen, and my 20 GB library.

the shuffle is nice for students. i use mine for taking homework and files back and forth from school with enough music to get me by for the day. i tend to update it almost daily, so it works for me. i do use my 20Gb in the car however. and as for the firewire/usb debate, usb is only slower on a mac because of its infrastructure. usb2 on a pc is as fast as firewire on a mac.

the shuffle is nice for students. i use mine for taking homework and files bake and forth from school with enough music to get me by for the day. i tend to update it almost daily, so it works for me. i do use my 20Gb in the car however. and as for the firewire/usb debate, usb is only slower on a mac because of its infrastructure. usb2 on a pc is as fast as firewire on a mac.

I used my shuffle, for working out mainly. But since it broke, i didn't worry about replacing it, wasn't woth the money, plus i wanted a New 5th gen ipod. Nice video, nice. [/i]

I just wanted to get as much feedback as possible. WHat would be your main reason for not buying a iPod Shuffle? Because there is no screen or because there is little memory?

thanks guys.

I am an early adopter of the iPod, having a 5gig first generation. I have become accustomed to the screen and I rarely leave it on shuffle without skipping around. Main reason for me not to buy would be the lack of screen.

I wouldn't buy the shuffle, regardless of capacity, and for $450 I'd buy a 60gig 5G iPod with video and save $50.

roog

thanks guys.

I am an early adopter of the iPod, having a 5gig first generation. I have become accustomed to the screen and I rarely leave it on shuffle without skipping around. Main reason for me not to buy would be the lack of screen.

I wouldn't buy the shuffle, regardless of capacity, and for $450 I'd buy a 60gig 5G iPod with video and save $50.

roog

I was speaking mostly about having a 30gb nano that would be about $450. Obviously its the same cost as a 60gb 5G, but would you be willing to pay that much if you could have a device as small as the nano. or does size just not matter to you? lol (sorry,that sounded kind of insulting) lol.

i have a full 20Gb and it is tough for me to scroll through it sometimes. i think that it is nice to have your whole collection with you sometimes, but not always necessary.

Just don't use the shuffle funtion' date=' and you will be able to move throughout the music if you know what order the albums are in. And with only 1 GB, you will be able to fit enough of your favorites on there for a while, without too much crap to sort through while looking for a good song. Really not that bad, and I loved it while using it. On the other hand....

USB

You do realize there hasnt been a firewire iPod since.  Maybe you coud explain your ojections to USB in this case.  Alot of people bitch about transfering movies all the time to their videos.  But you can dump a gig pretty frickin quick with USB.  You would definetly have to have a stopwatch to notcie the difference

video transfer is fast for my perhaps unusable video ipod in USB 1.1 and 2.0.

Well, on my iMac it was way less than the 12 MB/second, like it says. A GB is 1024 MB, when divided that is only 83.333 seconds-- a LONGGGGG time for only 1 GB, not that it is that long anyway.

But mine took closer to 20 Minutes to load. I am talking a loooooong time. It was closer to 83 seconds a song than 83 seconds a GB. My computer was badly glitched/horrible, and not normal. Other people have it faster. But loading my Mini via USB on my new iBook is not as slow as that, nowhere close, but it is noticibly slower than Firewire. Not unusable, but very noticable over a size of only 4 GB max.

Let's not continue this disscussion here. I think I have started this arguement on about 5 separate threads now. There is a USB 2 vs. Firewire as well as a just plain "Firewire" thread in Hardware (or maybe Show Followup/both). We can argue there. I am not trying to shut your point out, and would not mind continuing this over at one of those, but this is a Shuffle topic, not another Firewire/USB. I know, it is largly my fault, but I am leaving here now....

*bows out*

I would buy neither. I dont need either of them. But definately not 170 for a 4gb shuffle

regarding the USB 2.0 speed:

I just got the iPod Video and maybe its cuz i have a G4, but i have a 2000 song library and it took like a good 3 to 3.5 hours to load the entire library (my library size is 9.4 GB). I remember timing the amount of time it took to download 100 songs––about 10 minutes!!! I previoiusly had a 3G ipod with firewire and that goes WAYYYYY faster.

I dont think it could be my G4 that is causing the slow down. And if it is the Mac's implementation of USB 2.0, whats the difference in implementations between Mac and PC? I thought it was just a simple port that connects to the computer and the limiting factor is the port itself, not the OS.

Sorry about the USB vs. Firewire, but oh well, i already typed it

Is it connected to a hub? i connect mine to a hub but dowload 10 or 15 songs at a time and its fast on 2.0, if i download a video it takes about 10 minutes if its a 900 megabyte file.

I just wanted to get as much feedback as possible.  WHat would be your main reason for not buying a iPod Shuffle?  Because there is no screen or because there is little memory?

thanks guys.

No shuffles for me. the nano is small enough, has more storage, has a display, and has an enormous geek quotient.

I might pay $450 for a 16gb nano, and I would not be the slightest bit surprised if one became available.

I just wanted to get as much feedback as possible.  WHat would be your main reason for not buying a iPod Shuffle?  Because there is no screen or because there is little memory?

thanks guys.

No shuffles for me. the nano is small enough, has more storage, has a display, and has an enormous geek quotient.

I might pay $450 for a 16gb nano, and I would not be the slightest bit surprised if one became available.

that seems like a rip off, 450 when for 400 you can get a Video at 60 gigs.

Thats the point of my question. Im wondering if the size is worth it to anyone else, cause for me it is.

And I think you will see a 16 or 32 gb nano very soon. :wink:

I think a nano with 16 GB would be cool but I would rather buy an iPod video because it would have more storage and you can watch video on it.