Sign in to follow this  
DenisK

Why I like 3rd Gen iPod better than 5th Gen

I just got a 5th Gen iPod for Christmas. This will replace my 3rd Gen iPod.

I think they did a spectacular job on the 5th gen ipod. It is sleeker and plays video, however, there are a few little details i like on the 3rd gen better. . .

1. All the buttons are touch; its faster and more convenient when you don't have to actually press anything.

2. The LCD (because its not color) can be seen clearly in daylight (or in the shade) without the backlight. (I know the 5th gen needs color b/c of video, but i honestly only use my ipod for music and the occasional use of an external Hard Drive, so that's why i'm bitching about it)

3. The scroll wheel is in it's own groove, (not flush with the outer surface like the 5th Gen) which makes it easier to keep your thumb witihin the scroll wheel.

4. When the menu slides to a sub-menu, it is a smooth transition. I've noticed a little jerkyness with the 5th gen (its ever so slight, but its there)

5. It seems that the 5th Gen is more prone to noticable scratches. I got a scratch on the scroll wheel within the first 3 min i played with it. (i havent checked if i can get that off yet)

6. NO FIREWIRE. I love how fast my 3rd gen loads songs. (I know the lack of USB 2.0 speed is only due to the Mac's implementation of USB 2.0. And yes, the speed difference is small, but its still significant. Plus "Firewire" sounds better)

Although I still thinik the 5th Gen is a great iPod, my heart will always be with the 3rd Gen because of its subtle features i miss.

newipod.jpg

Enjoy that iPod! I got a Nano for Christmas. I also noticed that the clickwheel got scratched... oh well...

And yes, it's hard to see the screen at all without the backlight on, but I guess that's why it's there.

And about the choppy transitions, I also have that problem sometimes, but it's hardly noticable, like you said. I guess the processor isn't quite good enough, but overall I'm really enjoying my first iPod!

I had a 3rd generation iPod. I loved it. Then I got a mini. The 3rd Gen iPod was then sold. I now have a 5th Gen iPod.

BUT... I still liked the 3rd gen for 1 reason: The 4 Buttons Lit Up with a nifty shade of orange w/ the backlight. It looked so cool in the dark. But that was then. This is now. I wish Apple would put lights in the click wheel.

not just the 3G ipod but the 4g

Yeah, the Backlight on 3rd Gen is hott.

ipod_black.jpg

you make me want a 3rd gen ipod instead of 5g

:? Those buttons are ugly...

But buttons on the click wheel means less thumb movement, probably. The less like twister controlling a device is the better.

The color screen on my photo is easy to see in daylight without backlight... not so easy in shade...

Jerkiness I read can be caused by having too many world clocks.

USB2 is just as fast as firewire..... Although OSX's USB2 implamentation seems to be slower than windows implamentation.

I do agree that including the menu, play, skip buttons on the scroll wheel minimizes the clutter. And i'll agree that the 3rd Gen is ugly only when you compare it to the 5th gen. But at the time of release, the 3rd Gen was one sexy momma and i still like it better than the new Zen.

There is more thumb movement needed on the 3rd Gen but i think it is faster just because once you develop muscle memory of the buttons' whereabouts, the touch sensitivity on the 3rd gen allows your thumb to use no more downward pressure than when your thumb is at rest on the ipod. When actually pressing down on a button, your thumb loses its potential for a quick change in direction from vertical movement to horizontal movement.

What also slows me down (I prolly just have to get used to it) is the lack of some groove on the scroll wheel. My thumb slips off the scroll wheel if im not looking at what i'm doing. Yes, the different texture of the scroll wheel helps, but if you go fast, a groove is much more helpful at preventing the problem (but then again, it prolly doesn't look as sleek) To remedy this, you could get one of those protective skins that actually create a groove because of the thickness of the protective rubber)

feature1.jpg

To remedy this, you could get one of those protective skins that actually create a groove because of the thickness of the protective rubber)

feature1.jpg

iS that the iskin?

Yeah. if i was going to get a rubber covering for the ipod, i would go with iSkin's new EVO3 (pictured above). It looks as sweet as a rubber protector can get. (and the EVO3 isn't actually rubber, its silicone)

But, Personally i like to hold and look at the actual ipod without any clearly-noticeable protective covering and im not worried about dropping it, so im getting a tough transparent film called The Invisible Shield at TheInvisibleShield.com Its a very tough transparent film (used to protect the leading edges of the blades on a helicopter) that keeps the ipod from scratches but at the same time remains almost unoticable in regular light. Watch this product test of it . . .the guy isnt paid by invisible shield, he did this on his own with his OWN ipod. He keys the display and everything. Pretty gutsy. http://www.untenohana.com/archives/videos/...d_scratch_test/

Wow, simply amazing. Its durable and a definite plus, they demonstrate how it works.

The 3rd gen is the only iPod model that I've skipped over. I just never liked the look of it and thought having the buttons away from the wheel was counterintuitive. To each his own, I guess.

Just if you want your sub-menus to go faster your shouldn't have a lot of clocks on at once because they sloe it down. :D:)

I just got a 5th Gen iPod for Christmas.  This will replace my 3rd Gen iPod.

I think they did a spectacular job on the 5th gen ipod.  It is sleeker and plays video, however, there are a few little details i like on the 3rd gen better. . .  

1.  All the buttons are touch; its faster and more convenient when you don't have to actually press anything.

2.  The LCD (because its not color) can be seen clearly in daylight (or in the shade) without the backlight.  (I know the 5th gen needs color b/c of video, but i honestly only use my ipod for music and the occasional use of an external Hard Drive, so that's why i'm bitching about it)

3.  The scroll wheel is in it's own groove, (not flush with the outer surface like the 5th Gen) which makes it easier to keep your thumb witihin the scroll wheel.

4.  When the menu slides to a sub-menu, it is a smooth transition.  I've noticed a little jerkyness with the 5th gen (its ever so slight, but its there)

5.  It seems that the 5th Gen is more prone to noticable scratches.  I got a scratch on the scroll wheel  within the first 3 min i played with it.  (i havent checked if i can get that off yet)

6.  NO FIREWIRE.  I love how fast my 3rd gen loads songs.  (I know the lack of USB 2.0 speed is only due to the Mac's implementation of USB 2.0.  And yes, the speed difference is small, but its still significant.  Plus "Firewire" sounds better)

Although I still thinik the 5th Gen is a great iPod, my heart will always be with the 3rd Gen because of its subtle features i miss.

newipod.jpg

If you like it so much then vote for it in my Poll

Man that battery gauge is easier to see exactly how much battery you've used...

no it isnt! it only has 4 different cells compared to like the 8-10 or whatever that the 5thgen has!

Just if you want your sub-menus to go faster your shouldn't have a lot of clocks on at once because they sloe it down. :D  :)

Holy crud you saved my problem of 5th gen. lag. I can play brick again! I LOVE YOU!

What do you mean by not having a lot of "clocks" on at once? How do you change that?