Sign in to follow this  
vjrichie

Invisible Shield

Hey all, if you want to protect that new iPod you got from Santa, get an Invisible Shield. Easy to apply and it will protect from those fine scratches. I've had mine a week and love it. Just don't use too much water to activate the adhesive!

www.theinvisibleshield.com

[/url]

sounds great for those who get a lot of scratches on their iPod, and

Welcome to the MacCast forums!

i got the Invisible shield today, but it came without directions. . . i know what to do BASICALLY. The only question i have is what are the directions on how to make the soapy water?

is it just regular liquid soap and how much did you put into the water?

nevermind about the directions . . .but is it a major problem if there are a couple of small water bubbles after application?

I guess ill find out sooner or later when the shield dries off tomrow

FEEDBACK ABOUT INVISIBLE SHIELD:

Firstly, i thought my shipment didn't come with directions, but they give a website address that has the full directions on one of the cards in the package.

It is an excellent protective film, but it is a major hassle to put on. If you get it, take your time and use more water than you think on the film (it makes it easier to adjust when on the ipod).

Make sure your ipod is clean (try not to scratch it in the process of cleaning it! lol thats what happened to me! very very minor scratches but scratches nonetheless . . . I EVEN USED A WATCH CLEANING CLOTH!!! BTW iS THERE ANY REAL WAY NOT TO SCRATCH YOUR IPOD???)

ALL AIR/WATER BUBBLES WILL BE NOTICABLE WHEN THE SHIELD IS DRY. So take your sweet time and be prepared to put on and take off the shield atleast 3 times (seriously). Air bubbles are not a problem if you use enough water (just squeegee them out) but the water bubbles are a major PAIN especially on the iPod's back . . .I thought i had the back perfect with no water bubbles, but 5 min later, you could see them . . .UGH.

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU WASH YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY AND GET ALL THE GREASE OFF YOUR FINGERS.

TRY NOT TO TOUCH THE FACE/BACK OF THE IPDO WITH YOUR FINGERS WHEN APPLYING . . .IT WILL LEAVE FINGERPRINTS (especially the back)

Its pretty easy to take off the shield even after about 7 minutes of drying (it becomes pretty sticky after that), so watch out for the formation of water bubbles and try to squeegee them out, or reapply the shield.

But once you go through the hell of applying and reapplying, the shield turns out to be an excellent way to protect your ipod while keeping the design intact (unlike rubber protectors that ruin the look of the ipod (in my opinion))

FEEDBACK ABOUT INVISIBLE SHIELD:

Firstly, i thought my shipment didn't come with directions, but they give a website address that has the full directions on one of the cards in the package.

It is an excellent protective film, but it is a major hassle to put on.  If you get it, take your time and use more water than you think on the film (it makes it easier to adjust when on the ipod).  

Make sure your ipod is clean (try not to scratch it in the process of cleaning it! lol thats what happened to me!  very very minor scratches but scratches nonetheless . . . I EVEN USED A WATCH CLEANING CLOTH!!! BTW iS THERE ANY REAL WAY NOT TO SCRATCH YOUR IPOD???)

ALL AIR/WATER BUBBLES WILL BE NOTICABLE WHEN THE SHIELD IS DRY.  So take your sweet time and be prepared to put on and take off the shield atleast 3 times (seriously).  Air bubbles are not a problem if you use enough water (just squeegee them out) but the water bubbles are a major PAIN especially on the iPod's back . . .I thought i had the back perfect with no water bubbles, but 5 min later, you could see them . . .UGH.

ALSO MAKE SURE YOU WASH YOUR HANDS THOROUGHLY AND GET ALL THE GREASE OFF YOUR FINGERS.

TRY NOT TO TOUCH THE FACE/BACK OF THE IPDO WITH YOUR FINGERS WHEN APPLYING . . .IT WILL LEAVE FINGERPRINTS (especially the back)

Its pretty easy to take off the shield even after about 7 minutes of drying (it becomes pretty sticky after that), so watch out for the formation of water bubbles and try to squeegee them out, or reapply the shield.

But once you go through the hell of applying and reapplying, the shield turns out to be an excellent way to protect your ipod while keeping the design intact (unlike rubber protectors that ruin the look of the ipod (in my opinion))

Just get a skin for christ's sake!

chill out. i was just giving advise for people who want to use the invisible shield. I wasn't complaining, i was just writing about stuff that i would have done if i had a second shot at applying the shield. I got a shield instead of a skin b/c i like to keep the ipod design intact.

1) will it protect the LCD from getting cracked in my backpack at school

2)is it available for the 30 5th gen video ipod

answer to Mac User X's questions:

1. the shield is a protective film, not a protective case, so i prolly say that it wouldn't withstand any more pressure than what the actual ipod could withstand. However, it will protect against scratches of almost any severity. (so you could throw the ipod in your backpack and not worry about it getting scratched (smashed is another issue).

2. Its available for the 5th Gen 30 GB iPod Video. (I have that iPod) Make sure you buy the shield for the 30 GB and not the 60GB.

if you remove it a couple times can you still put it on? the product seems too good to be true

responding to joshimacvid, from my personal experience, i have taken the shield off my ipod 4 times to get the air/water bubbles out and i am not experiencing any lack of stickiness when using my ipod; its stuck on tight.

HOWEVER . . . I would not reccomend taking off the shield after 5 minutes of letting it dry on the iPod. After that point, the adhesive starts to seriously stick and i would bet that there would be some deterioration of the adhesive if you tried to peel it off.

And scratches do add character, and Im typically the person that stays away from protection :wink: but i dunno why, but i've become anal about that damn screen getting scratched

UPDATE . . .

Its been about 6 days since i got my invisible shield, and the main gripe i had about it was the water bubbles that remained after applying it.

BUT, 6 days has passed and many of the smaller and noticeable water bubbles have vanished by 95%!!! By 95% i mean that you REALLY have to know WHERE the water bubbles were previously to actually notice them from a 1-foot viewing distance. Also, the display distortion caused by the no-longer-existent water bubbles also have vanished. I AM SO HAPPY ABOUT THAT. Now my display is 99% clear.

I sorta screwed up on the application of the backside of the ipod, leaving two large water bubbles, but their size, while still clearly visible, has decreased significantly.

Now I am thoroughly satisfied with The Invisible Shield

I wish i took some "before and after" pics for you guys . . .

Here's another tip for "invisible" iPod shields. They're from Contour design <www.countourdesign.com> and they're called Protective Jackets for the 20GB iPod. (They also make a version for the 40gb.)

The product name is awfully klunky; they ought to call them iCondoms. They're clear plastic sheaths that you slide your iPod into and they work great. I learned about them when I got a clear Countour case for my wife's 20gb 4G iPod. They included one with the case because apparently the way the iPod slid into the case, it could scratch the iPod. The sheath covers almost the entire iPod -- screen, scrollwheel and all. Only the top edge (earphones/hold switch) and bottom (dock) are exposed.

They sell the sheaths separately on their website for $5 per 5-pack (free shipping). They're officially only for the 20gb and 40gb iPod (non-photo), but I can attest that the 20gb version fits the 60gb 5G iPod perfectly. And the 40gb fits the 40gb Photo really well too. Not sure about other models, but for only $5, it's worth a shot.

No adhesive, no bubbles to press out. If it gets snagged or scratched up, or whatever, just toss it and put on a new one. They're not super-easy to find on their website; they list them along with their various clear cases.

I've had my Nano for a few months. I left it in the box until I found something to protect it with. I came across the invisibleshield (IS) through a google search and figured why not. The IS is pretty cool... if you install is correctly it truly is invisible. When I show it to people and I tell them it's been "skinned" they don't believe me. My nano goes with me in my pocket everywhere and several months later it still looks brand new. The IS is any excellent product, that if you take the time to correctly install, is perfect if you want to keep your iPod naked and enjoy the elegant Apple design.

-EJ