Sign in to follow this  

iPod Holding Back The Music Industry

http://yahoo.businessweek.com/magazine/con...51/b3964063.htm

In other words, the music industry is upset because they can't take advantage of us anymore and charge astronomical prices for the same refried bull!@#$@# from lousy artists like Ashlee Simpson and the Dixie Chicks.

Darn... and I was so hoping that the suits at Sony would get richer off of my hard work this year.

- MT

Dude,

Don't knock the Chicks. Their first couple of albums were great.

Plus they took a political stand against Bush and it cost them dearly. Anyone who doesn't like Bush can't be all bad. And, they're from Texas. Until they stood up, I thought all Texans were Bush automatons. :wink:

-Rob

Yeah I guess I'll give them that so they can't be half bad. However, let's not get off topic here.

There is no way that the iPod is holding back the music industry.

- MT

I couldn't agree more; it's a rediculous notion and I don't know what else to say. Stupid and uncrontollably laughable.

More people are listening to personal music now then ever.

- MT

More people are listening to personal music now then ever.

I don't think that it matters weather it's personal or not. If anything I suppose that with people listening to music through earbuds there is little for them to complain about as my school was once accused of public exhibition of CDs due to it's stereo in the college lounge. It's not possible for anyone else to hear it as a general rule. That said, the guy next to on the tube the other day asked me what I was listening to and then asked the way to MVC (our local music store). Best of both worlds.

With the lack of the old earphone jack there is nothing from Griffin or the like to record songs from the radio rather than downloading them and it's all crap. There, I said it.

I also have a confession to make. When I got the part in the article about a 0.44% drop in iTunes sales since November (or something like that) I stopped reading. Why? The analysts need to die. Of course iPod sales rose from November through December, people were buying them more. Of course iTunes sales fell (not really, but they "should" have in the eyes of real analysts), the iPods were boxed and wrapped in paper that offended the beautiful boxes! Christmas people, wait for Christmas.

The lunacy of this article astounds me. Matt, give me ammo; I feel an urge to bitch and moan and tear apart the opposition.

Ps. Yahoo!, ha!

When I said "personal music" I meant on iPods and MP3 players as opposed to walking down the street with a boombox on your shoulder... YEAH I SAID IT!! BOOMBOX!!

- MT

When I said "personal music" I meant on iPods and MP3 players as opposed to walking down the street with a boombox on your shoulder... YEAH I SAID IT!! BOOMBOX!!

That's what I was refering to. Inner ear/heaphone vs. boom box, ghettoblaster, hifi, stereo, surround sound or international speaker syndrome.

That's what I was refering to. Inner ear/heaphone vs. boom box, ghettoblaster, hifi, stereo, surround sound or international speaker syndrome.

Hey don't knock the ghettobalster I'd love to have one of those!

I've got to disagree completely. If one can consider the razing of an established but antiquated system "holding back," then Apple is certainly holding back the industry. The industry is collapsing in on itself; however, it’s resistance to change is its greatest hindrance, not Apple.

Individuals are slowly relearning (or in the case of the two most recent generations, learning for the first time) how to choose their own music. Instead of big corporations telling everyone what is good and telling us what to listen to through purchased radio time, people are getting back to grass roots (word of mouth) publicity. Either through personal contact or internet contact, people are experimenting with what they listen to and finding that most of what's been shoved down our throats for 20+ years is over-produced crap.

This bothers big record companies because it hurts profits. Companies like to tell us what we want because it makes them the leaders; it makes them profits; it puts them ahead of the game. When they choose what is in and what is popular, they don't have to waste money or resources finding out.

I'd like to see iTunes music sales drop. I'd like to see small producers, bands, and individuals selling their own music, DRM free. I think over the next decade this will happen more and more until it is the established way of getting music. Artists and their partners should be in charge of their own music, not huge marketing machines offering restrictive, profit-stealing contracts.

-Rob

I think people would like to listen to the radio with their Pods to hear NEW songs,

ENTER PODASTING!

podcasting is great, but they need to stop laws on copywright of music so you can get fresh stuff.

I know...

its not giving them money, but neither is limewire. :twisted: