Sign in to follow this  
themacman4

If you're using tabs in Safari read this

I just found this out by accident, if you hold command/Apple when you click on a link in a web page it will open that link in another tab.

Just thought that was cool, and I know it will help me when I'm looking around in the web, thought it might help someone else!

It would be so cool is they had a button to make a new tab. It could replace the "report bug" button, i mean really, who uses it????

Right-click on the toolbar and choose to Customize. I have a "New Tab" button on my toolbar, because I added it along with a Home button.

Right-click on the toolbar and choose to Customize.  I have a "New Tab" button on my toolbar, because I added it along with a Home button.

I hit Command-T to create new blank tabs

-Rob

is there a keybaord shortcut to toggle between tabs?

cmd{ to go left

cmd} to go right

Sometimes, I use this moderately useful 'trick'. As already noted, you can cmd click a link or bookmark to open that link in a new tab. Sometimes I want to keep that page and go back to a previous page, but in a separate tab. If you cmd-click the back arrow, it will open where you came from in a new tab. Kind of like a open in new tab in reverse.

That command/Apple + click trick also works in firefox. I found it in safari, but tried it in firefox, and it's exactly the same...

yep, I was doing a right click and "open in new tab" every time... silly me.

Is anyway (specifically a shortcut) to take an separate open window in Safari and covert it into a tab into another open Safari window? Hope that makes sense.

Click, hold, and drag the URL of the open window to the window with the tabs and release it in the tab bar

That would work, but it re-opens the link. It'd be neat to be able to take an existing window and "migrate" it into a tab without reloading.

That would work, but it re-opens the link.  It'd be neat to be able to take an existing window and "migrate" it into a tab without reloading.

Exactly, Or Vice Versa. Take a tab and open it into a separate window

Exactly, Or Vice Versa. Take a tab and open it into a separate window

These are both things I've wanted to do, but I guess it's more of a gimmick than anything else. It really doesn't surprise me this feature is not there.

Sometimes, I use this moderately useful 'trick'. As already noted, you can cmd click a link or bookmark to open that link in a new tab. Sometimes I want to keep that page and go back to a previous page, but in a separate tab. If you cmd-click the back arrow, it will open where you came from in a new tab. Kind of like a open in new tab in reverse.

Awesome, thanks for the tip thats one for a Maccast

If you have a multi-button mouse, and have a button programmed to go forward, and there are no window to go forward to, you can use this button along with the mouse button to open a link in a new tab without using the keyboard.

cmd{ to go left

cmd} to go right

Sir, Mam, MacGeek, whatever you wish to be called,

I would just like to let you know you saved my life tonight...I have been trying to find this keyboard shortcut for so long now...LOVE IT, CHERISH IT, DON'T ABUSE IT...loveyourmac

Chrisjava script:emoticon('B)',%20'smid_15')

Accully theres quite a few tricks to the tab. Like you said, command+click=new tab. BUT, command+shift+click will open new tab, but hide the tab. There is so many combinations. Try'em all out

Not sure how i got this setup but when I click my scroll wheel on a link, I get a new tab.

-Mark