Sign in to follow this  
The Dead Herring

Completely useless tricks!

I know we have all heard about the old reversing colour trick, and dont forget that holding shift down to slow down expose.

But wouldn't we all like to know some more?

So....If any of you know any of these tricks, then dont hesitate to post them up in this thread.

Beccause its amazing how little threads in the 'tips and tricks' section, actually have any 'tips and tricks' in them.

Milan    0

Open a browser window in Safari,

open Terminal,

type "killall Dock",

don't hit return yet,

move your Terminal window so that you can see the browser window well,

hold down shift (shift+control for extra slowmode),

hit the minimize button of the Safari window in the background,

now when the window is half "sucked in" hit return to execute the command we typed previously.

The window will freeze and you can do stuff with it (Moving! Scrolling!, Selecting!, Browsing?).

Have fun!

~milan

eternalnewb    0

Tht's cool :)

Type "defaults write com.apple.Dock showhidden -bool yes" in Terminal. The icons of applications that are hidden will be transparent. Pretty fun!

Leo    0
Milan, that was great

agreed.

except you made my sfari quit unexpectidly

can't second that...

What I miss about this feat is exposé, which stops working correcly. (I'd really have liked to see all those deformed windows flying around my desktop :D )

UPDATE:

I see, it still works somewhat.

eternalnewb    0

Why can't Apple at lease change the name of their programs, like Finder, into German? It makes no sense, it's not like a made-up wordm just translate it!

[/offtopic]

themacman4    0

it's the name of a program and since names are still spelled the same way in all languages (well at least western languages) it's not going to change the name of the program

Pete    0

Thanks Milan, My wife and I got a good laugh out of that. :D

MACo_Polo    0

I posted this on another thread but thought that I would post it here too.

WHen you hold Command+Spacebar it changes the little flag icon in the top right- hand corner.

MACo_Polo    0

On my iMac G5 up in the right-hand corner on the menu bar there is a little flag that can either be set to be A Canadian flag or an American Flag.

To turn on the flag:

System Preferences > International > Input Menu

At the bottem of this menu there is a little box that you can check or uncheck, checking it will show a flag in your menu bar. Then when you hold down Command+Spacebar, it toggles the flags.

kwsanders    0
I thought that command+spacebar was supposed to turn on/off spotlight.

It does... at least on my Mac. By the way, Option+Command+Spacebar brings up the advanced Spotlight dialog.

jorellh    0

BRINGING THE BLOB TO LIFE

Activating the Exposé Blob is easy. Just launch the Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal/) and type this line at the prompt:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-floater -bool true

Press return, and then type:

killall Dock

That's it. The Blob should now be somewhere on your Desktop. Just in case the Terminal freaks you out, here's a screen shot of the entire procedure.

KILLING THE BLOB

To reverse this hack, just swap out "true" with "false", and repeat the above procedure like this:

defaults write com.apple.dock wvous-floater -bool false

Press return, and then type:

killall Dock

The Blob should now be history.

USING YOUR BLOB

Once you have activated your Blob, using it is easy. The Blob's normal state is semi transparent. To wake it up, just roll your mouse over it. The Blob will come to attention and not be transparent anymore.

Blob - selected

Blob - normal

Once the Blob is awake, there are several things you can summon it to do:

Click: Clicking on the Blob will activate Exposé for all the open windows in the application you are currently working in.

Option-click: Holding down Option and then clicking on the Blob will activate Exposé for all currently open windows and documents on your computer.

Shift-click: This is the same as just clicking on the Blob, but will tile and scale your windows in slow motion.

Option-Shift-click: Activates Exposé for all open windows and documents in slow motion.

Ginamos    0

WHen you hold Command+Spacebar it changes the little flag icon in the top right- hand corner.

I think you mean Apple+Spacebar

kensterator    0
BRINGING THE BLOB TO LIFE

Activating the Exposé Blob is easy. Just launch the Terminal (Applications/Utilities/Terminal/) and type this line at the prompt:

Hey, SUPER COOL!!!

kwsanders    0

Uhh... same keystroke.

Ginamos    0

Uhh... same keystroke.

Yes, you're right, I was getting confused by kensterator's post.

control+spacebar turns on/off spotlight

apple(command)+spacebar changes the input country (the flag).

houltmac    254

Command+Spacebar switches Spolight for me while Control+Spacebar does nothing (I assume because I only have one input and all options off). Is this an international difference or is there a thousand typos on this thread?

Ginamos    0

Command+Spacebar switches Spolight for me while Control+Spacebar does nothing (I assume because I only have one input and all options off). Is this an international difference or is there a thousand typos on this thread?

Hmm, well it works for me the other way round.

And...yes you have to enable multiple inputs and the flag icon to notice anything.

kwsanders    0

Command+Spacebar (or Apple+Spacebar) controls Spotlight on my Power Mac running Tiger (10.4.6). Control+Spacebar does nothing.

houltmac    254
Hmm, well it works for me the other way round.

And...yes you have to enable multiple inputs and the flag icon to notice anything.

Do you have some funky Ozzy layout or something?

Ginamos    0

This Apple Doc maybe explains what's going on.

You can also use a keyboard shortcut to switch input methods. The keyboard shortcut to select the next input method in the Input menu is Command-Space bar. Since Spotlight also uses this keyboard shortcut, you should change either the Input menu shortcut or the Spotlight shortcut. You can do this in the Keyboard Shortcuts pane of Keyboard & Mouse preferences.

I'm assuming that if you have input method set up it takes precedence over the spotlight search, which then defaults to control+spacebar shortcut.

I'm pretty sure I've never set these shortcuts up manually, so I think OS X is making these settings.

It may not be useless but I found out this trick.

In Safari, you know if you press the arrow keys up and down then it will scroll in small increments?

Well if you accompany the arrows with either control, command(apple), or option the increments that it scrolls will change, pretty handy for the few of us that don't have trackpad scrolling and or mouse wheels.

Very nice safari trick.

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/47c/47c3a8...016c1ef_c56.jpg