Sign in to follow this  
houltmac

Speed up Safari

I have searched the forums (Tips & Tricks only) for such a post, but have been unable to find one, so if I am not the first or this is more common knowledge then please excuse me.

Today I was testing out some alternative web browsers to Safari (which I have always used since switching). I found that Firefox has an awful lot of downsides (for me at least) as documented in my blog and the only upside really was that it was far quicker than Safari in its rendering. This was the reason that I have since been sticking to Firefox but I could take it no more. I searched and searched for tips on speeding up Safari but all seemed to come from unreliable sources or just plain make no noticable difference.

Then I found this tip. It comes direct from David Hyatt, a Safari developer and so I thought I would try it. It works, it really does. I noticed a huge difference and now I will again happily return to Safari for the time being (let's just hope they catch up with Firefox' tabbed browsing abilities soon as that's all they really hold over Safari now). Check out the page found here for simple instructions and links to the original post.

[Instructions: Open the Terminal and enter the following line, then hit enter and restart Safari for a page load speed increase.]

defaults write com.apple.Safari WebKitInitialTimedLayoutDelay 0.25

I will try it as soon as I get home.

I have searched the forums (Tips & Tricks only) for such a post, but have been unable to find one, so if I am not the first or this is more common knowledge then please excuse me.

Today I was testing out some alternative web browsers to Safari (which I have always used since switching). I found that Firefox has an awful lot of downsides (for me at least) as documented in my blog and the only upside really was that it was far quicker than Safari in its rendering. This was the reason that I have since been sticking to Firefox but I could take it no more. I searched and searched for tips on speeding up Safari but all seemed to come from unreliable sources or just plain make no noticable difference.

Then I found this tip. It comes direct from David Hyatt, a Safari developer and so I thought I would try it. It works, it really does. I noticed a huge difference and now I will again happily return to Safari for the time being (let's just hope they catch up with Firefox' tabbed browsing abilities soon as that's all they really hold over Safari now). Check out the page found here for simple instructions and links to the original post.

[Instructions: Open the Terminal and enter the following line, then hit enter and restart Safari for a page load speed increase.]

Would putting .1 at the end of the code make it faster?

Would putting .1 at the end of the code make it faster?

I would guess so, but I haven't tried it. I guess there must be a limit. Jasonium might be a man to ask, or of course Matt, Professor or the like.

i don't notice any difference. maybe i set it too low: 0.001

sweet! although not consistently faster but it sure does boost it slightly

It should speed up Safaris display delay setting, meaning it effectively renders faster, of course this does not allow for upload or download speeds and all the variables you have there. I have found it to be a considerable improvement if not consistant 100% of the time. I believe this to be the reason.

Yes it does make the image come up faster when using the back button in particular, but loading new pages (although faster) does not seem to be greatly improved.

Hey Matt thanks for the tip has definetly helped.

Just one thing, when you are talking about firefox's tabbed browsing are you saying that they are better than safari's tabbed browsing option which i couldnt live without.

cheers

Safari is much faster. Do you have any of these that will speed up iTunes downloads.

Hey Matt thanks for the tip has definetly helped.

Just one thing, when you are talking about firefox's tabbed browsing are you saying that they are better than safari's tabbed browsing option which i couldnt live without.

cheers

Safari is indeed behind with tabbed browsing (which I also use far too much). Firefox 1.5 adds to the experience in one simple, but very useful way. You can move your tabs to change their order within your browser window. I would say that this will be coming very soon in Safari, the next update which may even be next week. It sounds silly, but it is ridiculously helpful.

I still believe Safari to be the better browser however.

Safari is much faster. Do you have any of these that will speed up iTunes downloads.

Unfortunately I don't, but if I find any I will certainly let you know.

Woah, definetely makes it slightly faster. Why isn't it set at this by default?

Many browsers do this, I have never quite figured out why. The same can be achieved in both Firefox (or any other Mozilla browser) and Internet Explorer. My guess is that Camino and the like will also have this "functionality".

What exactly does the command do? (other than speed up Safari) i.e. how does it do it and why does it work?

And what's the setting to get it back to default?

Ruahrc