Sign in to follow this  
Mac Zen

Handrbake Lite

iSquint recently adopted a more Monastic approach to their software with Handbrake Lite. This small application is designed to do only thing: rip DVD video into an iPod compatible format. I learned about this app from Digg. It sounded familiar and I realized I had heard Adam speak of Handrake on the Mac Cast at least once (maybe twice).

I immediatly downloaded the program and popped in the closest DVD I had (if your curious, Aqua Teen Hunger Force). Load up the DVD, close down the DVD player and than open up Handbrake Lite. Select the location of the DVD you want to rip and select the location of where the ripped file is to end up. Click start (or comparable button) and wait for a while. When Handbrake Lite is done, you have a Quicktime file that can be easily dragged into your iTunes window. The DVD will be synced to your iPod next time it's plugged in.

To be very clear, this software does not load up any type of menu screen or special features. You will end up with the "mean feature" only. The quality is excellence the and process couldn't be simpler. I've since ripped several DVDs and enjoy watching some of my movies while I'm traveling or hiding under the blankets.

Handbrake Lite get's five out of five Buenos

It is great but I reccommend keeping the original handbreak around too for ripping to higher resoloutions.

I second that. As nice as this might be, I'm not sure why it exists. The original HB is more then adequate enough for the average user and the learning curve is not that steep. Maybe I'm missing something.

- MT

For example those who don't want to have to ajust bitrates and stuff.

That's like saying you want to take a photograph without knowing what a lens is. Here is a tutorial that should clear up all unanswered questions:

http://www.freesmug.org/tutorial/handbrake/

You don't have to know WHAT a bitrate is to ADJUST a bitrate.

- MT

Does anyone know what settings Handbrake Lite uses?

As a test, I ripped Return of the King using some recommended settings for Handbrake <http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/> and then with Handbrake Lite.

Handbrake settings I used are: Avg. Bitrate: 400 (default is 1000), Format: MP4, 2-pass encoding. 320 x whatever (kept wide screen aspect ratio).

With these settings, Handbrake encoded a file that was 763mb and the Handbrake Lite version was 1.13gb.

I compared the two and found very little difference. The Lite version was slightly darker, no doubt from a higher bitrate setting. But quality was nearly equal, especially on the iPod's screen.

So, for a 50% file size savings, I'll stick with Handbrake Regular.

400 is only good for animated cartoons. Don't go any higher then 800 or the file will be too big. The rest is up to you.

- MT

Does anyone know what settings Handbrake Lite uses?

As a test, I ripped Return of the King using some recommended settings for Handbrake <http://howto.diveintomark.org/ipod-dvd-ripping-guide/> and then with Handbrake Lite.

Handbrake settings I used are: Avg. Bitrate: 400 (default is 1000), Format: MP4, 2-pass encoding. 320 x whatever (kept wide screen aspect ratio).

With these settings, Handbrake encoded a file that was 763mb and the Handbrake Lite version was 1.13gb.

I compared the two and found very little difference. The Lite version was slightly darker, no doubt from a higher bitrate setting. But quality was nearly equal, especially on the iPod's screen.

So, for a 50% file size savings, I'll stick with Handbrake Regular.

400 is far too lower a bitrate for a movie. You will notice large blocks of colour in darker areas.

(I just ripped the battle scene: siege of Gondor, this means a smaller file size which in turn means you can use higher bitrates.)

400 is far too lower a bitrate for a movie. You will notice large blocks of colour in darker areas.

I was able to do ALL of Family Guy at 400.

- MT

That is an interesting note that lower bitrates will look ok on cartoons like the Simpsons and Family Guy.

This is because block colours are used instead of graidient so eliminates the 'blocking' effect.

That hasn't been my experience. I've ripped several DVDs at a bitrate of 400 (with two passes) and they all look good. Very little blockiness. And the file sizes are quite reasonable.

(I just ripped the battle scene: siege of Gondor, this means a smaller file size which in turn means you can use higher bitrates.)

Everybody makes excellent points about using the original Handbrake instead of this abridged version. However, it is designed to do one thing and one thing only and that is rip DVDs specifically for playing on the 5G iPods.

Its main goal is to make things as simple as possible. It's not for Power users, its for beginners and novices. It does a really good jo too.

if you are not an experience user use lite. but regular handbreaker is better.. read this forum for the adjustments and you'll love it.

but what happens when the new ipod video comes out (The TRUE ipod)