Sign in to follow this  
Number6

Anyone know how to share address book and iCal between users

My wife and I use separate accounts on our iMac.

My wife maintains a single address book and iCal for the family. She has all the family phone numbers in there and all of our "social" events are listed in iCal.

Is there any way for me to set it up so I can view her iCal and Address book? I have a .Mac account if that would be helpful. It stinks having to make her logon to get a phone number or check the calendar.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You can definitely publish your iCal calendars on your .Mac account (check the Calendar menu). I'm not sure about the Address Book, but I'm betting it can be done. I'm at work right now using a Mac that only has 10.2.8, so I can't be 100% sure.

I figured I could publish it out to a .mac, but that wouldn't give the both of us write access to the calendar.

That's what I'm really looking for.

The iCal calendars are stored in the folder iCal in Library/Application Support/ for each particular user. It's possible you could move your wife's folder to a central location (perhaps Users/Shared). Then, make an alias of this folder in you and your wife's Library/Application Support folder. You'll also need to change the permissions on your wife's original iCal folder (after it's been moved). Then you should both be able to edit the same calendars. This kind of trick works for iTunes and iPhoto.

The Address Book can also share addresses on .Mac AND you can allow others to edit the same address book. So that's an easy one.

RailRider-

Thanks for those great tips. I will give that a try.

The Address Book can also share addresses on .Mac AND you can allow others to edit the same address book. So that's an easy one.

Only I have the .mac account. Do I need to get one for my wife as well?

Only I have the .mac account. Do I need to get one for my wife as well?

I don't think so, but I don't have .Mac. You'll need to research that one yourself.

I think the .Mac solution is the best bet too. No you don't need a separate account for your wife either, use the same one.

I recently implemented this as a solution for a client who wanted to do ical and addressbook collaboration and syncing, it worked perfectly.

You can set it up in your .mac prefs (on both machines) to sync the addressbook. That way you have the exact same addresses and you both can edit/add/delete them.

To view the calendar its as easy as publishing it to your .mac account. You can then view it via the URL. If you want to take it a step further (as I setup for my clients), in your .Mac prefs set it up on both computers to sync your ical calendars too. Then you'll be able to view her calendar from your ican, edit it and make changes to it.

I hope this helps some, good luck.

This is how I share my iCal:

[shouting across the office]

MT: HEY BILL!!! WHAT ARE YOU DOING NEXT FRIDAY?

BILL: I'M FREE? HOW ABOUT YOU??

MT: LET ME CHECK MY ICAL! I'M FREE. I'LL PUT YOU IN!!

BILL: I'LL PUT YOU IN TOO!!

There, now we both have the same event!

- MT