Sign in to follow this  
The Dead Herring

Review iSkin eVo3 for ipod with video.

So my hunt for a case for my ipod has come to an end, after carefull deliberation I decided to order an iSkin eVo3 off the iSkin store, it arrived briskly within two days so thumbs up there.

First Impressions?

The first thing that I noticed when I took it our of the box is how deceptive the pictures on the internet were, the graphics on the box were very simialar to those on the box for the ipod itself. It is quite difficult to put on the ipod and they couldn't of made it harder to use the hold switch, why don't they just put a hole there? so after about half an hour of use there is a small hole at the base of the hold switch due to my fingernail pushing the switch underneath the skin. But these are just nit picky things.

Anatomy?

The screen coverer resides above the screen and does not hinder your view in any way. I ccould even go as far to say it is easier on the eyes. The belt clip is sturdy and secure. This thing could be dropped from a significant height and not break the ipod. Aeastheticaly the skin is quite nice, and I say quite, because it does look better without it on, it adds a little weight to it. and makes it about a mm thicker on each side.

e915a92fcc84d875f19c138aa50015c5.jpg

the sturdy belt clips and grippy texture

ee7281d95e5fddffc75e6b6d90469482.jpg

Front view showing the lovely screen protector

c968506a9f95b5049c7a78f70667a366.jpg

A Profile showing the added bulk

Final Thaughts?

Overall I give this case 8/10 because its very good, but somehow it could be better, if there was a hole for the hold switch for example.

P.S: Cat hairs have a tendency to stick to this case!

Niec review. I was planning on getting the arctic one for my 30GB iPod, but was wondering how does the "VISOR" attachment hold up to scratches itself.

Im not sure how resistant the visor is because I have only had it for not sure how ressistant it is to scratching because I have only had it for about a day, there will be a foollow up review later on in the week.

I bought this case after reading your review, don't like it at all though. Way too expensive for a piece of silicon. The Visor scratches pretty easily, so that silly acronym is pretty much BS. Also, the thing is huge. It adds a good .5 inch to the size of the iPod. They grip might be good, but I perfer the feel of a thin naked iPod. Also, the belt clip is absolute junk. The thing feels like it could break with every spin. It's made of very cheap plastic material. The silicon on the click wheel can get very annoying because of the extra traction. Scrolling through 3k songs with a rubber click wheel is very hard. And the hold switch becomes extremely useless. Biggest waste of $35 ever.

obviously not for you then. Mine is fine, and I am happy with it. I agree it is too expensive, but so are all ipod cases.

Maybe you have a defective 'visor' because I have had mine for 2/3 weeks and its been to school with me every day without any scratching at all.

As for the silicone click wheel cover, In my opinion it makes it easier to scroll and select individual songs. Before I had the case I found that the wheel was too sensitive, I would try and select something, and whilst moving my thumb to the button the highlight would select something else, but now the extra traction is there, it is less sensitive. Eliminating the problem.

I still reserve my judgement on the case, but if you are unhappy with it. I bet if you ask them for a refund they would give you one.

I am sorry my review led you to make a bad purchase. But you have to remember that this is my opinion, which could be vastly different from somebody elses.

I understand that of course, but I was merely pointing out the bad sides of this product (you seem to have pointed out all the good points ;)) just to make a more complete review. Maybe I might have may have gone overboard, but more info in a review thread never hurts.

As for the reponse, you really didn't have to since I wasn't putting any blame on you, just the iSkin company. You posted a great review, and I posted my own review also. Didn't mean to insult you.

Hey, I finally received my iSkin case for my 60G 5th Gen this week (I ordered it in December, they sent me the wrong size, and I had to go through an extremely annoying return process).

So...I like it. Yeah, not easily being able to access the hold switch is annoying. And every piece of lint or fuzz or cat hair clings to it. And I'm kinda annoyed at the rubber friction when using the Click Wheel. And the visor has scratches already and it is only the 3rd day I have had it.

But...believe it or not I DO like it. It covers every inch of the iPod so I know the iPod is protected. I like the material. And really, case-wise and protecting-wise...I haven't seen anything better that I have liked.

I do have a question. Ever since I put my iPod in the iSkin case I have had weird issues with the iPod playing. My iPod has been "sticking" in Play Mode. I can access all the menus, Play and Pause, Scrub, etc. but there is no audio and while in the menu it states that it is "Playing" the time is frozen on my audio tracks. I was wondering if this has happened to any other iSkin owners? It seems too coincidental that it started happening after I put the iSkin on my iPod. Yes, since I updated my iPod with updater last month I have been having video problems, but this is the first I have had audio problems. So I'm thinking it could be a heat issue? The silicone case, even though it has vent holes, probably still doesn't breathe too well. Any thoughts?

Hey, I finally received my iSkin case for my 60G 5th Gen this week (I ordered it in December, they sent me the wrong size, and I had to go through an extremely annoying return process).

So...I like it. Yeah, not easily being able to access the hold switch is annoying. And every piece of lint or fuzz or cat hair clings to it. And I'm kinda annoyed at the rubber friction when using the Click Wheel. And the visor has scratches already and it is only the 3rd day I have had it.

But...believe it or not I DO like it. It covers every inch of the iPod so I know the iPod is protected. I like the material. And really, case-wise and protecting-wise...I haven't seen anything better that I have liked.

I do have a question. Ever since I put my iPod in the iSkin case I have had weird issues with the iPod playing. My iPod has been "sticking" in Play Mode. I can access all the menus, Play and Pause, Scrub, etc. but there is no audio and while in the menu it states that it is "Playing" the time is frozen on my audio tracks. I was wondering if this has happened to any other iSkin owners? It seems too coincidental that it started happening after I put the iSkin on my iPod. Yes, since I updated my iPod with updater last month I have been having video problems, but this is the first I have had audio problems. So I'm thinking it could be a heat issue? The silicone case, even though it has vent holes, probably still doesn't breathe too well. Any thoughts?

Time for a Follow Up

So, after a few weeks (Or is it months?) of owning this case it is time for a follw up review.

I find the visor to be very protective, I have two very minor scratches but it is nothing compared to what the screen would be like without the protection.

My biggest gripe is the fact that every single piece of floating sediment in the air sticks to it. This dust can tend to seep beneath lip and under the visor.

I don't know if it is just my obsessiveness but I seem to spend more time cleaning bits of crap from underneath the visor than I do actually watching the video!

I have been taking a look at the VideoShield by Agent 18 and it looks real nice. See my post further up in the list.

At least it has protected my iPod in the mean time.

Just to follow-up (with myself)...

The iSkin eVo3 case for my 60 Gig iPod with video WAS INDEED the culprit behind the iPod freezing on me. Since I removed the case my iPod has not froze on me once in nearly 2 weeks (compared to 2-3 times a day with the iSkin case on it).

I highly reccomend NOT buying this product. It is more trouble than what it is worth.

Im not sure how resistant the visor is because I have only had it for not sure how ressistant it is to scratching because I have only had it for about a day, there will be a foollow up review later on in the week.

I got one of these for my birthday for my 60gb fifth generation Pod. I love it, everything is protected except for the headphone jack and it fits so perfectly that I don't think it's a big deal.

I love the flap for the dock connector and I removed my belt clip to slim it down. This thing fits perfectly so there is no sliding around whatsoever. I don't have any problems with the hold switch, I don't use my fingernail though, so that may be helping.

roog

I will back up that this thing picks up all kinds of lint, cat hair, etc. Even just sticking this in your pocket will do the trick. I also have the black one, so it's easy to see any foreign objects, which may be hurting the situation.

It is easy to clean though.

roog