Sign in to follow this  
Jawko

Accessing a Mac from a PC

Hey guys - I'm having a problem accessing my Mac from my PC - My Mac shows up in my network neighborhood on my PC - but when I try to connect and input my password I get a popup saying The password is incorrect. I am typing in the same password I use to log in on my Mac. Is there another password I should by using?

Running 10.4.3 and Win98SE

You have to make sure that you are using the same username on Windows that you are using on your Mac.

I have had major problems networking with win 98. The pc shows up as an alias, and no matter what username or password i use, it will not connect. I have gone thru everything on 98 and was unable to get it to work, even printer sharing.

that said, good luck.

I do use the same user name. For example - From Windows I Try to map a network drive. I enter 10.0.1.3joesmith. It asks me for a password and I enter my Mac user password. It then tells me the password is incorrect. Any other suggestions?

jasonium, I have no problems getting to my PC from my Mac - I just can't get to my Mac from my PC.

Jawko

:twisted:

IIRC Windows 98 transmits passwords for shares in plain text while Samba (as installed on OS X) expects them to be encrypted.

IIRC Windows 98 transmits passwords for shares in plain text while Samba (as installed on OS X) expects them to be encrypted.

so is there a workaround for this?

Jawko - I've had the username / password be incorrect trying to get to the PC from the mac. Basically I wanted to share the printer on the win98 box, but have yet to find a way to log in. I've had no problems doing this with win2k and xp. My father refuses to upgrade from win98 - stubborn coot.

Hm, I'm a bit at a loss now...I googled for it and found that I was wrong. Windows 98 does indeed send encrypted passwords by default just as Samba expects them to be.

Can you try connecting from your PC to your mac again and cut and paste the output found in Console (/Applications/Utilities/Console) here?

I'll let jawko paste that, as I have this problem at my parents' house. I try to keep visits down to holidays only :D

Could you be more specific, mfkne. What part of the Console would you like to look at? console.log? system/log? etc...

:twisted: Jakwo