Sign in to follow this  
Tom.landy

Maccworld - ALL PRODUCTS STILL AVAILABLE!

Yeah, that absolutely is a change in Apple's product policy: Everytime a new rev comes out they discontinued the previous product immediately - just look at the iPod mini which was at once replaced with the Nano. Plus, it doesn't actually make sense to talk about the switch from PowerPC to Intel as a transtition if you keep selling PowerPC products which now exist as Intel-based versions. Or that's a veeeeery smooth transition at best.

The revisions to the PowerBook line weren't that major, my April 2004 PowerBook is essentially the same.

Glad to see some new stuff coming out of the pipeline.

roog

Is the core duo 64 or 32 bit?

The specs page at intel.com seems to be broken, but I suspect it's 32 bit.

THAT SUCKS! WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY SWITCH FROM 64 BIT TO 32 BIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :(:(:( :x :x :x :x :x :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I just read that Yonah has no 64 bit support, only its successor, Merom, will have it.

Are these yonah? If yes then WHY WOULD THEY PUT A LAPTOP PROCESSOR IN A DESKTOP!!!?

I just read that Yonah has no 64 bit support, only its successor, Merom, will have it.

Yes that is true

THAT SUCKS! WHY ON EARTH WOULD THEY SWITCH FROM 64 BIT TO 32 BIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :(:(:( :x :x :x :x :x :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-({|= :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!: ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I don't quite see why you are so upset.

It is not that bad having 32 or 64 it doesn't really make any difference at all for consumers. It can make a difference, for Pros but not for us.

The new chips are sooo much faster than the Power PC (except the once in the Power Macs) so why are you so upset?

Yes that is true

I don't quite see why you are so upset.

It is not that bad having 32 or 64 it doesn't really make any difference at all for consumers. It can make a difference, for Pros but not for us.

The new chips are sooo much faster than the Power PC (except the once in the Power Macs) so why are you so upset?

My new avatar says it all.

Well ok I think I understand why you feel about Intel that way in the 90s IBM was always ahead of them.

But now Intel meakes the best low watt CPUs on the planet.

And in Desktop AMD is definetly the best company for PCs (and Macs now) in Desktops.

Now I think they put the Duo Core into the iMac because there is not so much space in there and heat can be a problem.

So Desktops CPUs are most likly a problem.

Besides the Yonah is almost as fast as many desktop CPUs out there.

Well ok I think I understand why you feel about Intel that way in the 90s IBM was always ahead of them.

But now Intel meakes the best low watt CPUs on the planet.

And in Desktop AMD is definetly the best company for PCs (and Macs now) in Desktops.

Now I think they put the Duo Core into the iMac because there is not so much space in there and heat can be a problem.

So Desktops CPUs are most likly a problem.

Besides the Yonah is almost as fast as many desktop CPUs out there.

I do not go by power per watt. I go by performance.

I'm now wondering what's true because I've read, not today, just the opposite, that all of the current intel chips have the ABILITY to go 64bit.

-Rob

I do not go by power per watt. I go by performance.

OK if you go by performance I guess you have right now somewhat of a point.

If you need MacOS X on as much performance as possible.

Then Apple should have possible stayed with IBM or gone with AMD.

And you certainly get the best performance with intel in Laptops.

Desktops the Power Macs are most lily right now still faster than any Intel chip. But they will be replaced by faster PowerMacs with intel Inside.

And by that time th eonly camparison we will kind of have is running Linux on a PowerMac and Linux on a Playstation 3 and see how that is performing.

I have to agree.

First of all. It is a bit strange that we have now new Ibooks and MacMinis.

And secondly the iMac G5 and PowerBook G5 are still being sold on the online store.

My questions is why??

Who would buy this now?

I guess some pro people mayyyybe, and some people who really want to get some of the PowerPC products.

But that can't be too many can it?

I eam I would possibly buy one to be honest but only if they would be cheaper than the new products but the iMac is the same price same the old IMac.

Of course the MacBook is kind of expensive but still not compared to the PowerBook.

So who would buy the old PowerPC products they are obsolete!!!

:roll:  :roll:

I know what you mean with the iMacs, but people still want a 12-inch or 17-inch notebook. Why the MacBook does not come in 12-inch or 17-inch, i do not know.

second point: what with the name? for a long time, apple has had two groups: books and macs, and within those they have the i and the power. eg. iMac, iBook, PowerMac, PowerBook. why combine these two groups?

well thats my rant of the day.

I know what you mean with the iMacs, but people still want a 12-inch or 17-inch notebook. Why the MacBook does not come in 12-inch or 17-inch, i do not know.

second point: what with the name? for a long time, apple has had two groups: books and macs, and within those they have the i and the power. eg. iMac, iBook, PowerMac, PowerBook. why combine these two groups?

I think other somethingBooks will be forthcoming.

As far as changing the name goes, the primary purpose of the marketing department is to come up with dumb names to replace popular ones. Naturally a company as big as Apple is going to have a marketing department.

To be fair, the marketing folks at Apple seem to be unusually successful.

As far as changing the name goes, the primary purpose of the marketing department is to come up with dumb names to replace popular ones. Naturally a company as big as Apple is going to have a marketing department.  

To be fair, the marketing folks at Apple seem to be unusually successful.

Actually, I'm pretty sure Apple outsources all of their marketing.

I think the new name, which IMHO "who cares", is about branding. I tell people I have a Powerbook and they say, "Is that an HP?" Apple's brand is very, very, very strong right now. They're simply using their brand to help sell computers.

Personally, I don't care what they call it, I'd buy it.

-Rob

There is nothing saying that a new 12" and 17" MacBook won't come out, they just aren't ready.

Sound like your just mad because you bought a Mac and it was then updated to be better. :P It's alright, I bought an iMac last month. Kinda mad at the 2x speed upgrade but I like the fact that my Mac can run PowerPC apps without Rosetta.

So replacing the iMac G5 with Intel chip and then upping the price (granted not by much) does not seem to be that great.

As for the MacBook, well anyone who bought a PowerBook in the last six months knew it's days where numbered, but even I was expecting it to be the iBook to give way first.

Only if they could of made the Mac mini a media center "MAC style"..... :lol:

Disappointed, expected better......

:cry: :cry:

But no tablet.... argh, Steve!! You said you loved me!!!

- MT

You guys did notice that the Superdrive in the MacBook Pro only writes at 4x now and does not write dual layer, right? It does read dual layer discs, however.

They are taking so many steps backwards.

Basically any DVD drive built can read Dual Layer discs.... most consumer pressed DVDs are Dual Layer

Apple's stock price closed at $80.86, an interesting number in Intel history.

Apple's stock price closed at $80.86, an interesting number in Intel history.

That took me so long to get.