Sign in to follow this  
RevMcGator

New iMacs and MacBooks - Good and Bad

WOW!

The first negative I see is the lack of Firewire 800 on the MacBook Pro (Firewire on the way out?).

Also sorry to see the modem go away...when i visit my dad, he only has dialup.

MacBook Pro? Stupid name, stupid processor.

Damn, not only the firewire800, they also dropped the pccard slot I think. The card slot seems to be smaller. How am I going to access the EVDO network without a fullsized pccard slot :cry:

Damn, not only the firewire800, they also dropped the pccard slot I think. The card slot seems to be smaller. How am I going to access the EVDO network without a fullsized pccard slot  :cry:

It is an express card. It is the next generation.

Damn, not only the firewire800, they also dropped the pccard slot I think. The card slot seems to be smaller. How am I going to access the EVDO network without a fullsized pccard slot  :cry:

ya, so maybe they'll be able to fit some HDTV cards for that macbook. :? I'm staying with my powerbook for now. :x

ya, so maybe they'll be able to fit some HDTV cards for that macbook. :? I'm staying with my powerbook for now. :x

I am happy to stay with my PowerBook! 8)

it would appear that the MacBook is supposed to be a desktop replacement. Hence why it's using the Core Duo and not Centrino.

it would appear that the MacBook is supposed to be a desktop replacement. Hence why it's using the Core Duo and not Centrino.

No centrino. A step in the right direction.

Everything I wanted. I don't care that firewire is gone since I always like to keep things truly crossplatform compatible which means staying away from firewire since you don't ussually see it on PC's. It's a shame that there is not a pc card slot but I don't actually use anything in that slot anyway and so I suppose if I want to use something there is no reason not to use the next gen slot. I am going to be ordering a 1.83 model in about a week or so.

I actually think they are going to release another line of laptop with the Centrino Duo Technology. maybe it'll be called powerbook.

Nice power cord. Nice FrontRow. Nice iSight.

You already know my thoughts on the whole Intel thing, but if it really is a better processor, the only real problem is the general pain in the ass to switch with all of the apps that won't run.... but I will repeat:

EDIT: I feel so dumb now....

Lesson I have leaned here: look on the other side of the thing before complaining.

Nice power cord. Nice FrontRow. Nice iSight.

NO FIREWIRE IS NOT NICE!

You already know my thoughts on the whole Intel thing, but if it really is a better processor, the only real problem is the general pain in the ass to switch with all of the apps that won't run.... but I will repeat:  

NO FIREWIRE IS NOT NICE!

This is probably the one thing I'll have patience for... Ah yes, love the CraigsList. Collect PowerPCs from people who can't wait, fix them up and sell them for big profit.

- MT

They didn't get rid of Firewire completely. I think they'll keep FW400 around for interfacing to cameras and other machines and use USB 2.0 for higher speed interfacces.

What the hell? Have we just said that thinner and slower is better then faster?

- MT

I ordered the 1.83GHz model, with the USB modem. Still need a modem from time to time. Can post my findings once the bugger gets in and I have a few hours to torture it.

J.

Good luck man. Like I said, I have no plans on buying one anytime soon... unless my company is buying me one and that's a whole other issue.

- MT

I didn't look closely at the page, only skimmed it, and missed the Firewire. The picture was of the side with only one USB port and the power. I thought the thing only had a USB, power, and headphones. Then I came here and someone mentioned lack of FW 800... so I immediatly post complaining about the Firewire not being there. Typical me.

Same ports as an iBook G4, much faster, so it is probably the same with Rosetta-- not to mention it has another processor, although I don't know how that works through Rosetta-- looks good!

I still think that switching to this will be a real pain, but if older apps will run in Rosetta, it is fast enough.

It is like saying that A-10 Attack will not work on my computer because it is being run through Classic, and loses performance. Of course, the readme asks for a 25 MHz processor and 3 MB RAM... I think it will run :P

Interesting thought- could you run Classic on Rosetta? Could you run Classic on 10.4.3 on Rosetta? Applications old enough to run on OS 9 could probably use little enough computer to do that, if 10.4.4-->Rosetta-->Classic would actually run... Or as I said, 10.4.4-->Rosetta-->10.4.3-->Classic... although there is a sub-zero chance that 3 OS's and an emulator would happily work together...

Yes, sub-zero. But it might work. With hacks. And luck. Lots. Or it might not.

It seems like an excellent update to the Powerbook. Very cool that Apple are first off with the Core Duos and first with the camera built in. Hey, you'll have a pod-or-vidcast ready-to-go machine. I'd love one.

I have a pretty sweet TiBook which does me fine, 1Gb of Ram and a 100Gb HD. Just a tad slow, that's all... If I could get a half way decent price for this, I'd be looking to upgrade soon!

I don't know how I feel about the name just yet. MacBook Pro... presumably the MacBook will be the iBook. I thought the iBook had a certain amount of consumer awareness and you'd lose the whole iPod association.

MacBook is okay, I had no problem with Powerbook as a name. I can't exactly recall but it's probably rooted in the chip name, the PowerPC. I bet that is the reason they are dropping that association.

Apple isn't the first with Core Duos....

Dell beat Apple... and basically any major PC manufacturer, Apple is just in the crowd with the rest.

Inspiron E1705 is one of the first.

Also the iSight in the MacBook is old too, basically every manufactuere have released laptops with cams built in... it's sad when Apple is becoming like everyone else.

But I disagree with Steve Jobs, he claims Apple invented the Sudden Motion thing... it may hold patents for the way Apple does it.... but IBM(or Lenova) came up with the idea in the Thinkpad T series

In case people missed it earlier in this thread...

To clarify the issue, the MacBook Pro does have one Firewire 400 port, just not any 800 ports, so Firewire is not gone completely.

I totally agree that the name MacBook Pro SUCKS big time. It is not exciting or sexy at all. PowerBook was a much better name.

I don't know how I feel about the name just yet.  MacBook Pro... presumably the MacBook will be the iBook.  I thought the iBook had a certain amount of consumer awareness and you'd lose the whole iPod association.

I believe the iBook is yet to come, so this is the top end line of notebooks. Perhaps we'll see larger or smaller screens as the line matures.

id buy one for sure if i could get answers from all my software companies (digidesign, ableton, propellerheads, etc) as to whether or not they will work with rosetta and if they will be as fast as they are now on my powerbook.

I could give a shit about the name. Im not some marketing freak. who gives a crap. the important thing is whats on the inside. :D lol.

So what's up with Apple not posting anything about the battery life? I read somewhere that a person called Apple sales and they said 5.5 hours. Any confirmation? I'd wait for the in the field reports from some of the early adopters.

My iBook will get about 4 hours of life with fairly major CPU use, either a DVD drive & DVD player or video games. This is good compared to the 1 hour my mom's powerbook will get, even with it's new battery (it used to get 20 minutes). This is with all of the energy saving features on, including a dimmed down screen (1 notch from 0. Any lower is black). Basically, I get 4 hours of real use. These claims are usually based on the laptop with all of the energy savers on, asleep tongue.gif... I do not think that 5.5 means more than 3.

These are actually pretty high-end laptops if you look at the specs. A dual core 1.87 GHz, even an Intel, is quite the processor. The cheap iBooks will still be cheap. These start at like $1500. The current iBooks end at $1200. You get the point...