Sign in to follow this  
RevMcGator

New iMacs and MacBooks - Good and Bad

My iBook will get about 4 hours of life with fairly major CPU use, either a DVD drive & DVD player or video games. This is good compared to the 1 hour my mom's powerbook will get, even with it's new battery (it used to get 20 minutes). This is with all of the energy saving features on, including a dimmed down screen (1 notch from 0. Any lower is black). Basically, I get 4 hours of real use. These claims are usually based on the laptop with all of the energy savers on, asleep tongue.gif... I do not think that 5.5 means more than 3.

These are actually pretty high-end laptops if you look at the specs. A dual core 1.87 GHz, even an Intel, is quite the processor. The cheap iBooks will still be cheap. These start at like $1500. The current iBooks end at $1200. You get the point...

Thats pretty sad for your moms laptop. I use a 12" powerbook. I have a bus powered firewire audio interface, two midi controllers taking up both ports, and 2 pieces of software rewired to each other when u perform. I easily get an hour and a half. for something like a DVD, easily over 2.

My iBook will get about 4 hours of life with fairly major CPU use, either a DVD drive & DVD player or video games. This is good compared to the 1 hour my mom's powerbook will get, even with it's new battery (it used to get 20 minutes). This is with all of the energy saving features on, including a dimmed down screen (1 notch from 0. Any lower is black). Basically, I get 4 hours of real use. These claims are usually based on the laptop with all of the energy savers on, asleep tongue.gif... I do not think that 5.5 means more than 3.

These are actually pretty high-end laptops if you look at the specs. A dual core 1.87 GHz, even an Intel, is quite the processor. The cheap iBooks will still be cheap. These start at like $1500. The current iBooks end at $1200. You get the point...

I hope that my new PowerBook's battery is longer than your mom's.

Just to repeat from the other thread to keep this with the "Good and Bad"... Superdrive is now 4x write only and it only reads dual layer discs. It will not write them.

Just to repeat from the other thread to keep this with the "Good and Bad"... Superdrive is now 4x write only and it only reads dual layer discs.  It will not write them.

Why would they get rid of the DL?

I assume that the iBooks will get Intel Core Solo CPUs within the next month or two...

Apple really had to do soemthing for the PowerBook, the last updates were really disappointing and the rest of the industry just flew away!

But Steve just announced 1 MacBook Pro (in February) with 15" Display and there are still the 12" and 17" Models missing.

In my view this was just an announcement to show off that Apple is capable!

I guess there will be further upgrades and announcements shortly after the MacBook Pro becomes available

So I think this release was just for the early adaptors and because everbody was longing for Intel Macs...

As the lately renewed iMac G5 line the first MacBook Pro will become obsolete very soon!

Just to repeat from the other thread to keep this with the "Good and Bad"... Superdrive is now 4x write only and it only reads dual layer discs.  It will not write them.

Why would they get rid of the DL?

What is it with apple and slow optical drives, this is something that really frustrates me, a lot budget PCs will come with a DVDRW as standard and most do dual layer. Why does apple insist on shipping with out of date technology installed, its seam silly to me, my mini write CDR at 24x what is that about? its the only thing i do a lot of that is faster on my PC. I Was hoping apple would sort this time

What is it with apple and slow optical drives, this is something that really frustrates me, a lot budget PCs will come with a DVDRW as standard and most do dual layer. Why does apple insist on shipping with out of date technology installed, its seam silly to me, my mini write CDR at 24x what is that about? its the only thing i do a lot of that is faster on my PC. I Was hoping apple would sort this time

The CD-R write speed is 24X, which I think is fine. I don't know why the dual-layer burning is gone, but for me it's not a major issue. I have an external LaCie DL burner and I have yet to burn a DL disc. The media is still way too expensive.

it would appear that the MacBook is supposed to be a desktop replacement. Hence why it's using the Core Duo and not Centrino.

As far as I know the Core Duo is the Processor.

Centrino is a label you are only allowed if you use Intel's whole Centrino bundle which contains now of:

A Core Solo or Core Duo CPU,

An Intel Chipset (don't remember the exact name)

And Intel's WIFI Chips...

So the MacBook Pro uses the same processor that is now contained in the new Centrino Bundles!

it would appear that the MacBook is supposed to be a desktop replacement. Hence why it's using the Core Duo and not Centrino.

Centrino is a label you are only allowed if you use Intel's whole Centrino bundle which contains now of:

So the MacBook Pro uses the same processor that is now contained in the new Centrino Bundles!

That is not good. I want a desktop processor in my desktop.

Do you want even less than 3 hours of battery life then?

If it means that I get more power, than yes.

But the former iMac G5 also just had a mobile processor built in!

The IBM PowerPC G5 Apple used wasn't just effective (or cool) enough for beeing built into a PowerBook!

Just the PowerMac G5 have real Desktop CPUs, so

if you need that power, get such an Apple!!!

But the former iMac G5 also just had a mobile processor built in!

The IBM PowerPC G5 Apple used wasn't just effective (or cool) enough for beeing built into a PowerBook!

Just the PowerMac G5 have real Desktop CPUs, so

if you need that power, get such an Apple!!!

They could have put a G5 in the PowerBook if they wanted to.

I totally agree that the name MacBook Pro SUCKS big time. It is not exciting or sexy at all. PowerBook was a much better name.

Didn't Power part of the name comes from the fact it was using a PowerPC chip, so a move to Intel would automatically force a name change.

So of course, the question is what will PowerMacs become?

ProMacs?

Mac Pros?

anything but MacIntels

MacBook Pro? Stupid name, stupid processor.

You are basing your opinions on no personal experience, so I suggest you reserve your judgement until they at least ship. Although I agree it is a crappy name.