Sign in to follow this  
houltmac

QuickTime 7.0.4 Update Pulled

In an interesting turn of events, Apple appears to have pulled the fresh QuickTime 7.0.4 Update from it's website and replaced it with a new downgrade update which returns users to a previous QuickTime version. Apple has yet to make a public announcement on this quiet change, more to come as it happens.

I have been testing the original update and nothing appears abnormal. More interesting is that the OS X.4.4 Combo update has not been removed.

[Link: QuickTime 7.0.1 Reinstaller]

Matt,

No details on why 7.0.4 needs to be "downgraded"? Where did you find this info with this link?

I still see 7.0.4 listed. It's 9:18 PM on the East Coast of the U.S.

QuickTime 7.0.4 with the new Flip4Mac WMV 2.0 is crashing after exiting a WMV movie for me. Just to let you all know.

In an interesting turn of events, Apple appears to have pulled the fresh QuickTime 7.0.4 Update from it's website and replaced it with a new downgrade update which returns users to a previous QuickTime version. Apple has yet to make a public announcement on this quiet change, more to come as it happens.

I have been testing the original update and nothing appears abnormal. More interesting is that the OS X.4.4 Combo update has not been removed.

Update: It seems that Apple had encountered a security flaw with their first release of QuickTime 7.0.4 for the day. This came down via Software Update before the airing of the MacWorld 2006 Keynote but was soon removed due to a security hole. Apple were on the ball and the effected download was only availible for a couple of hours before removal. It was replaced by the below linked un-installer.

The vulnerabilities in the media player put computers running Windows and Mac OS X at risk of being commandeered by an outsider, Apple said on its Web site. An attacker could exploit the flaws by tricking the user into opening a malicious file.[/blockquote]

Since then, Apple have re-released both the fixed Software Download version of this update as well as the manual download version which is Download ID sd9363. Both should work fine now.

For those unsure about which version you are running, I would suggest checking the information below as well as using the uninstaller and then re-installing the verified "fixed" update.

Further Information: It seems the original flaw in this first update also had something to do with the iSight Camera. It was unusable with the original download although when reverted back to version 7.0.1 it quickly became usable again. Furthermore it works as expected in the new, updated 7.0.4. Just some trivia for you.

[Link: QuickTime 7.0.1 Reinstaller and the new, fixed, QuickTime 7.0.4 Update.]

I reverted back to 7.0.1 then installed 7.0.3 and the Flip4Mac WMV Player problem was resolved. Then I tried the "new" 7.0.4 update and the problem resurfaced.

I'm going to be staying with 7.0.3 for the foreseeable future.

Didn't 7.0.4 kill Disk Utility? I heard it did, or at least that was the speculation in the threads about "Dead Disk Utility."

Since OS X is very dependent on Quicktime, I would imagine a faulty update causing problems. Big ones.

There very possibly was other related issues with the update, however, all issues should be resolved with the update that has been availible since Wednesday and is on new iLife '06 install disks.

I reverted back to 7.0.1 then installed 7.0.3 and the Flip4Mac WMV Player problem was resolved. Then I tried the "new" 7.0.4 update and the problem resurfaced.

Flip4Mac has already released a new version (2.0.1) that is compatible with QuickTime 7.0.4. Get it direct from their website, not Microsoft's.

Flip4Mac has already released a new version (2.0.1) that is compatible with QuickTime 7.0.4. Get it direct from their website, not Microsoft's.

Yep, I have it now but still haven't upgraded back to 7.0.4.

Flip4Mac doesn't do anything for me with QuickTime 7.0.4. I tried restarting and everything. It's been trashed. Oh well, I don't care. I'll just ignore the sites that use Windows Media Player, like I always have. My life hasn't been seriously impacted (read NOT AT ALL) by not having the capability to view these files.

I have had no issues with QuickTime 7.0.4 using Flip4Mac; everything is working harmoniously.

Matt,

No details on why 7.0.4 needs to be "downgraded"? Where did you find this info with this link?

Does anyone else find it strange that it is assumed I couldn't have spotted this one for myself?