Sign in to follow this  
ipodman

New iTunes Update

The new itunes 6.0.2 update is out and it has a very cool little MiniStore that is a bar at the bottom of the page in normal library or playlist mode that brings up information about the playing song from the itunes music store like ''other music from this artist", "top songs", "top albums" and links to the music store. But it has some problems like if i have an Usher song it comes up with a guy called "David Usher"

It also has the option to "convert to iPod" just like in QuickTime Pro and the other app.

It didn't come up when i did the software update, but is on the Apple website

I turned off the mini-store view, but I did like it. I think I will end up using it from time to time.

I thought it was somewhat annoying. I dont like it sending every song to apple then using my bandwidth for every song.

Does anyone know how to edit TV show info now in iTunes? All the "Show" and "Seasons" are blank.

When I first saw the MiniStore, I said, "Cool! Now, how do I close it?" I couldn't figure it out ... but saw this article on the MacWorld site, and thought I would pass along the info:

To close the MiniStore, just click Command-Shift-M, or you can select that option under the Edit menu in iTunes. (Select, "Hide MiniStore")

Just thought I would pass that along for anyone who, like me, was unable to find that option just yet.

Apparently, the software follows what you click, and recommends some related links for you in the iTMS. A neato idea, but, I'm glad I also know how to turn it off now :-)

I got the info from this article, by the way:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/20...p?lsrc=mwtoprss

you could just press the hide button right next to the equalizer button.

i was just pressing that just then and i realised that there was an iPod icon next to the ministore hide button, my ipod was plugged in but it comes up even in library and playlists mode. the rollover text is "Display options for Player" but the text on the ipod section is still the same "Display iPod Options". it does link to the iPod Preferences. But why is it player? Apple has never calleld the iPod just player

85561766_e03089707c.jpg

I thought it was somewhat annoying. I dont like it sending every song to apple then using my bandwidth for every song.

I'm surprised everyone seems so accepting of what amounts to a combo spyware/adware update. Imagine what people would say if every song they listened to was reported to MicroSoft or Real instead of Apple.

I can appreciate some people might like this "service."

It's was a major blunder on Apple's part: not disclosing exactly what they were doing upfront and explicitly asking permission to monitor iTunes user's listening habits. All they had to do was explain what they do with the info they collect and that hiding the ads turned the monitoring off; Instead, they slipped it in and let people figure out what was going on by experiments and blog-reading.

I shouldn't need Little Snitch to protect myself from Apple.

I'm surprised everyone seems so accepting of what amounts to a combo spyware/adware update. Imagine what people would say if every song they listened to was reported to MicroSoft or Real instead of Apple.

I can appreciate some people might like this "service."

It's was a major blunder on Apple's part: not disclosing exactly what they were doing upfront and explicitly asking permission to monitor iTunes user's listening habits. All they had to do was explain what they do with the info they collect and that hiding the ads turned the monitoring off; Instead, they slipped it in and let people figure out what was going on by experiments and blog-reading.

I shouldn't need Little Snitch to protect myself from Apple.

I see your point, it does seem as though Apple has the presumption of innocence, maybe it is because they generally do treat their customers well.

Just to add to this discussion:

The update wasn't just about the Mini Store, it was also about the "behind the scenes" updates allowing iLife '06 intergration.

iTunes 6.0.2 together with Airport Express firmware update 6.3 allows you to stream music to multiple speakers (or one AE and the computer speakers).

Tim

I understand peoples point about Apple should have told us, but, I really don't care if they know what I'm playing. I have that enabled in iChat most of the time anyway. Also, I'm sure they'll tweak it some because as noted the implementation can use some. While listening to Podcasts, for instance, it should show the Feed from iTunes podcasts and suggest similar subscriptions.