Sign in to follow this  
mfkne-backup

WMV playback in Quicktime now for free!

As stated in a recent posting at tuaw.com, Microsoft ist now offering a free plugin for Quicktime which enables WMV playback in Quicktime!

I have not tested it as regards performance, but I will give feedback as I try it out.

The product is called "Flip4Mac" and is available at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...r/flip4mac.mspx

From the Installer note:

"Flip4Mac WMV is a collection of QuickTime™ components that allow you to play, import and export Windows Media® files. Flip4Mac WMV can be used with most of your favorite QuickTime applications including QuickTime Player, iMovie and Final Cut Pro."

Here's my very first impression: :shock:

I never thought WMV could play so well on a Mac, having used Windows Media Player for Mac before. Remember skipping or fast-forwarding in WMP? Forget about those long periods of audio-only-with-video-lagging-behind! it's MUCH faster using Flip4Mac. Only thing I noticed is that opening the files takes a bit longer but that certainly is made up for by the improved seeking performance.

I payed $10 for that a few months ago; how annoying is that?!?

That sucks.

Probably just as annoying as having bought an iMac or Powerbook in the last few days.  :?

Not for me. But I will not start this now.

Difference is, yours is an upgrade, mine is just plain stealing my money.

Difference is, yours is an upgrade, mine is just plain stealing my money.

Let's look at this closely. At the time that you bought Flip4Mac the price was $10 and you thought it was worth $10 to you, so you paid it. Then you got what you had paid $10 for. Nobody stole anything.

After you bought the product they lowered the price quite a bit, but you can still use the $10 version you bought, or you can replace it with the identical item that is now free. Your options have not been compromised.

I suggest that if you got what you paid for, and the price you were charged was the price you agreed on, then neither party harmed the other.

Perhaps you have just gotten free updates?

If I were a religious person I might refer you to the Parable of the Talents.

If you already have WMP installed, what installation procedure would you recommend for this plugin? Uninstall WMP first then install the Flip4Mac plugin? Or could you leave WMP alone and install the plugin, let it associate with Windows media files and test drive it before unistalling WMP?

I just installed Flip4Mac, verified it works and removed WMP using AppZapper. You can, however, leave WMP on your system, it won't do any harm.

For what it's worth, I bought it a couple weeks ago and I received an email offering me 20 dollars off a Flip4Mac purchase. Did they offer that to you? Still, the cheapest paid version is still $30, so really they are saying "Sorry you spent $10 on something that is now free, so give us another $10!"