Sign in to follow this  
jackt

Processors in new Intel Macs

Unlucky for me, i bought a imac G5 on saturday (my first ever mac) :(

I was slighlty shocked that my mac was outdated less then 72hours after i opened the box. but i was puzzled by the fact that 64bit is not mentioned on the apple site relating to the intel core duo, i then found this acticle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core saying that the intel core duo does not support EM64T. I havent really got much of a clue about this, but does the intel core duo 64bit and would i notice any difference between my brand new imac g5 and a intel mac.

Apart from that i am a very very happy switcher and i wish i had done it a long time ago.

Thanks

Jack

Jack,

Welcome to the forums. I am afraid I have some bad news for you. The Intel iMacs are now 2 times faster than the iMac G5s. That said, the G5s are amazing machines and I would give my hind leg for one.

You have to remember that the Intel iMacs are still in their first revision and may well have teething troubles where your G5 is tried and tested. Hope I didn't make you feel too bad.

Matt

That's some bad luck with your purchase, I'm feeling with you.

You're right, the Intel Core Duo do not support 64 bit (at least not the Yonah chips) but for the vast majority of users this lack should remain under the surface.

I have no idea what actually remains of the arithmetic speed improvement between G5 and Intel Core Duo in every day life. We'll probably have to wait for some real world benchmarks which will begin appearing all over soon, I guess.

Hi Jack

Congratulations on your escape from Wormware XP!

While it is true that you don't have the very latest version of the iMac, the one that you do have will run all of the Mac software currently available for OSX.

With the machines released yesterday many, nearly all, of the commercial programs you might want to buy for your Mac would have to run using a CPU emulator called Rosetta. This means they would not run at the native speed of the new iMac.

On the iMac you have now there is no need to do emulation unless you want to run Wormware XP programs.

So it's not as bleak as it seems.

I bought a G4 PowerBook recently, secure in the knowledge that it would soon be replaced with the Intel version. I don't mind that there is now a faster Book because the one I have is fine.

No matter when you buy a computer, there will very soon be one that is faster, smarter, better.

Enjoy your iMac! And welcome to the Forum.

Jack,

Welcome to the forums. I am afraid I have some bad news for you. The Intel iMacs are now 2 times faster than the iMac G5s. That said, the G5s are amazing machines and I would give my hind leg for one.

You have to remember that the Intel iMacs are still in their first revision and may well have teething troubles where your G5 is tried and tested. Hope I didn't make you feel too bad.

Matt

That 2 times faster was found in a lab. In real life I wonder what the differnce would be.

Jack,

Matt

That 2 times faster was found in a lab. In real life I wonder what the differnce would be.

Real life is immesurable. The lab is all we have to go on. Most of our computers (especially our processors) never get anywhere near lab speed. If you were to see a processor in full flight (as I have in the past) then you would be truly shocked; I was astonsihed to say the least.

Thanks alot, isnt going 32bit a giant step backwards really? you should feel sorry for my friend who hadnt broke the seel on his imac before he saw the new one.

in a side note does anybody know if i will get a discounted upgrade to ilife 06??

Come on, we know you're upset because you just got a new iMac G5 not long ago and that's understandable, but whether or not its exactly 2 times faster doesn't matter... it's still going to be much faster. We've already seen and heard from ordinary people who were VERY impressed with the speed.

Jack,

Matt

Come on, we know you're upset because you just got a new iMac G5 not long ago and that's understandable, but whether or not its exactly 2 times faster doesn't matter... it's still going to be much faster.  We've already seen and heard from ordinary people who were VERY impressed with the speed.

Jack,

Matt

Are you talking to me?

you know. if you call apple right now. they will take it back if you want to get a new intel based iMac. they are always good about doing that if you buy something within a week or two of a release.

That's a good point... I've heard of people doing that as well.

you know.  if you call apple right now.  they will take it back if you want to get a new intel based iMac.  they are always good about doing that if you buy something within a week or two of a release.

theres a slight problem with me ringing up apple, the 20inch intel imac is around £100 more in the UK, i cant see them not making me pay the difference. I have emailed the the trafford centre store were i bought the imac to find any info, but i havent got i reply yet.

Yup ^

I am glad I got my G5 iMac and my G4 PowerBook.

You couldn't pay me enough to buy one of those snake pits. I'll save up for a dual G5 thank you very much.

- MT

Unlucky for me, i bought a imac G5 on saturday (my first ever mac) :(

You may be within a time frame for a return or exchange. Maybe not. It doesn't hurt to try, though.

You couldn't pay me enough to buy one of those snake pits.  I'll save up for a dual G5 thank you very much.

What... no Quad? :P

That's what I meant. I'll take a quad or the lower dual but no way do I want an Intel chip unit.

- MT

Well that's good then. But then why were you so upset when I posted yesterday that the iMac was the first intel-based Mac? You were like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" wasn't that you?

Yup ^

I am glad I got my G5 iMac and my G4 PowerBook.

That's what I meant.  I'll take a quad or the lower dual but no way do I want an Intel chip unit.

Why are you so against the Intel based Mac? As long as the machine is faster and you still have the experience that you have with OS X, why does it matter if it is a G5 or an Intel CoreDuo running it?

My gut is telling me that this isn't a good thing. I don't think that this was done to offer a better Mac. I think it was done to encourage more switching which is fine by me, but not part of what I want.

Look, I'm all for Apple getting more switchers, so don't think I'm all of a sudden "anti-Mac". I need to wait and see before I put this machine up on a pedistal.

- MT

I'm with you. I was just curious.

Look, I could be totally wrong and if I am, and you can quote me on this, I will appologize. However, I can't see anything good coming from a move based upon, from my knowledge of the event, spite.

- MT

Look, I could be totally wrong and if I am, and you can quote me on this, I will appologize.  However, I can't see anything good coming from a move based upon, from my knowledge of the event, spite.

MT, I agree with you so often, but in this case I think the spite came along only after IBM couldn't or wouldn't deliver the CPUs required for Apple to remain a viable player. I love my G5 Power Mac, it's fantastic, but if you put a G5 in a notebook you'd need 12 fans, each assisting the other, and the battery would last 45 minutes. It would weigh 12 pounds, be 4 inches thick, and make a good space heater on a cold night.

Apple did what they had to do, and with hindsight I think their decision and their timing were excellent.

I expect we'll all soon learn that these first 2 Intel conversions kick butt, take no prisoners, and are way popular.