Sign in to follow this  
jackt

Processors in new Intel Macs

You couldn't pay me enough to buy one of those snake pits.  I'll save up for a dual G5 thank you very much.

- MT

I am pro new, knowing i am runing a PowerPC sickens me too the core, i want my machines to blow up and take my desk with it and finally a new gen system only to be outdated 6 months later and i hope that was one burn in a fireball, rant is over i love macs and steve jobs....loljk :roll:

i want to be the first to test these bad boys and let you know how how many of my limbs get bit off.

After doing countless hours of searching around the web, to make myself feel happy that i already have outdated kit, I found the following, (i am no expert so may be totally wrong)

The 2times faster bit is really marketing and not just down to the new intel processor, its partly down to the much faster graphics card and RAM, if it is 2times faster all well and good but surely rosetta will slow it down a bit, and these intel core duos are only 32bit (will this make a difference)

as i said before i no expert so that may all be rubbish.

Jack

After doing countless hours of searching around the web, to make myself feel happy that i already have outdated kit, I found the following, (i am no expert so may be totally wrong)

The 2times faster bit is really marketing and not just down to the new intel processor, its partly down to the much faster graphics card and RAM, if it is 2times faster all well and good but surely rosetta will slow it down a bit, and these intel core duos are only 32bit (will this make a difference)

Jack

It's totally marketing. I was reading MacWorld yesterday and one of the writers was saying that they were hoping for an Intel laptop (this was written before MacWorld) because that's where Apple's market share could use the most boost.

- MT

That's what I meant.  I'll take a quad or the lower dual but no way do I want an Intel chip unit.

- MT

At last! Someone who understands!

Jack

I agree totally.

Well that's good then.  But then why were you so upset when I posted yesterday that the iMac was the first intel-based Mac?  You were like "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"   wasn't that you?
Yup ^

I am glad I got my G5 iMac and my G4 PowerBook.

I dislike the intel processors.

I miss that Macintosh computer.

Mac's are all about OS X right?I'am not to fussed whats under the bonnet(hood)as long as the same high quality experience is there.

DUCKING FOR COVER :D

Mac's are all about OS X right?I'am not to fussed whats under the bonnet(hood)as long as the same high quality experience is there.

DUCKING FOR COVER :D

I completely agree. Give me reliable performance with sufficient resources and I don't care if the CPU is made from Altarian moonbeams, if it meets the Mac criteria of "just works" I'm satisfied.

Now in the case of notebooks, it's good to optimize for long battery life when possible. I think we are seeing baby steps now, and a future MacBook with iNteliNside will provide the kind of dreamy long term battery performance we are all hoping for.

It's not the speed that matters. What are you going to do if the replacement of OSX comes around the end of year and it only works on intel products? What about new software that only works on Intel stuff?

I think apple said they will support the power pc products so we will get universial software for a good few years.Most users have power pc based systems,intels will be phased in over the coming year.I for one will not be upgrading for some time and many users like me who purchased their macs in 2005 will carry on using their current machines for some time.If apple stoped supporting power pc in a year ther would be alot of unhappy customers.

How long is this transition going to take?

Why do you dislike the Intel Processors?

I find them to be not as good quality as others.

Why do you dislike the Intel Processors?

I find them to be not as good quality as others.

i have only just switched and i do share a concern about the quality of intel processors my last PC was AMD based and i had no problems with it apart from windows but the 2 intels i had before that all melted within a year, mainly because i didnt switch it off, but i dont switch my mac off either its easier to put it to sleep and have it come alive right when i need it.

Jack