Sign in to follow this  
joenspa

DVD Regions

I had always heard that the SuperDrive could play DVDs from any part of the world. I thougth this would be great for me. I'm in Italy working on the Olympics and brought some movies with me. I was disappointed though when I stuck in a European DVD and my PowerBook told my I could only switch Regions 5 times. Does anyone know a way around this? I would like to watch what I want when I want and not worry about it. I have 2 months left and the hotel has about 8 channels and only 2 of them are english. BBC World and CNN International.

Much thanks for any help you all can give.

Joe, as someone who moves between the EU and the US quite a bit, I too have been annoyed by this limitation. I'm afraid the situation isn't good.

Actually Apple have a pretty restrictive position on this and I think in fact you can have your region change count reset either 3 or 5 times giving a 15 or 25 region changes. This is via a firmware update which the DVD consortium apparently permit but Apple do not offer. Presumably because it would be a pain in the ass and open to things going wrong.

If you search on the web you will find firmware updates for your DVD drive, they are particular to which model you own, and instructions for how to do the update. But...and it's a big but... you can screw your drive if it goes wrong and this wouldn't be anyone's problem but yours.

i have had this problem when i burned a dvd on my friends g5 and when it is put into my powerbook i have also got that error. I just entered the admin username and password and it worked. i dont know if it is the same for that problem.

If you search on the web you will find firmware updates for your DVD drive, they are particular to which model you own, and instructions for how to do the update. But...and it's a big but... you can screw your drive if it goes wrong and this wouldn't be anyone's problem but yours.

Is this a drive issue or an OS issue? If it's drive issue maybe I could buy an external DVD drive and make that one my EU drive. After that I could just encode from that drive to my iPod or just rip the DVD to my hard drive. I saw one at Saturn for 99 Euros. I would spring for that.

Just a thought.

i beleive vlc will play the dvd no matter what your region code is set to in the drive

you could also rip the dvd to the drive and use vlc or mplayer to play it

i beleive vlc will play the dvd no matter what your region code is set to in the drive

you could also rip the dvd to the drive and use vlc or mplayer to play it

i always thought it was the drive's firmware that dictated which region it could play, which would mean it didn't matter what app you used?

There are, as has been mentioned, firmware patches for most (but not all) apple branded DVD drives. Although the risk of using them is not high, it is present. And patching your drives firmware can invalidate your warranty, even if all goes well.

i recently burnt a dvd of firefly from a G5 imac. for a while it would work on my powerbook g4 but it asked me to change the region, i did this a couple of times, but now whenever i try and put in the firefly dvd, it just spits it right out.

the dvd however still works on the dvd player that's plugged into my tv.

Did I dream this, or did I see a DVD copy program for the Mac that strips region coding from the final product? I wish I had bookmarked it.

its called mactheripper.

this is what i used to rip the firefly dvd, then i used popcorn to burn it. but now for some reason, liek i said, it just spits my dvd back out.

buy the external drive (that's what I did). Find a friend with a Windows PC and flash the firmware of the external drive to make it RPC (region protection code) 0 which allows you to play all regions. (There are far more Windows patches written to flash DVD firmware than there are Mac ones.)

DVD region protection varies by film studio, and some function with both hardware checks and software checks. VLC will allow you to play a DVD whose encryption system does not require the RPC as part of the decryption. (I.e. if you have your drive set for region 1 (US) it will check for this.)

If you use Mactheripper, it can strip out the region coding on most DVD's (not all) and make them RPC 0. Assuming you legitimately own the DVD (and paid the appropriate copyright) you can then make a region free DVD (archive copy) using Popcorn or another DVD compression and burning program to play on any machine. Please note you would be violating the copyright if you were to play (simultaneously)your newly made region free DVD and the original DVD.

visit http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php to find many more links on this problem, and you might get some other work-around ideas.