Sign in to follow this  
MacFanatic05

New iPod Firmware update creates more bugs, no fixes

while some people would like the "new" return to main menu "feature", there are more bugs than features and fixes in this upgrade.

on 60 gig video ipods, unless you encode all your content in the super slow QTPro7, playback will happen for a few seconds and then the audio drops out. sometimes (both 30 and 60), the ipod gets in an endless loop of reboots, and in extreme cases, the RAM inside the iPod is detected as corrupt.

read all the fun here:

http://forums.ilounge.com/showthread.php?t...7&goto=lastpost

and...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...309676&tstart=0

i was embarassed in front of all of my classmates today when I showed them a video and the audio dropped out after 10 seconds. needless to say, i immediately reverted back to v1.0 after i got home. this firmware "upgrade" seriously looks like a coder pulled an all-nighter the night before macworld just to implement FM Radio Remote compatibility into the ipod.

Ack, this is really annoying. How do I revert it back to v1.0 without having to resync umpty-dozen gigabytes of data?

That said, a movie ripped using Handbrake didn't stutter, but another movie converted using iSquint did.

Edit: People are saying to 'downgrade using the iPod Updater 2005-10-12'... I launched this updater, but it just tells me that my iPod is up-to-date at version 1.1. Won't let me do any downgrading.

I've read through most of the one long thread. The lost audio problem mostly seems to affect people who are using Videora to encode video. Are you also using it?

If you are asking me, then no, I haven't used Videora at all. Only Handbrake for moving episodes of The Simpsons to my iPod - and they don't screw up. But all of the ones I did from AVI to MPEG using iSquint are borked.

I even had some files converted with QuickTime Pro act strangely. And mine were quite bad -- within 30 to 60 seconds the audio dropped out. Reverting to 1.0 fixed the problem. I'm not going to be so quick to upgrade in the future.

Can I still turn the backlight on and off with Menu if I get this for my Mini? Is it only the 5th Gens that got rid of that feature?

Yes, I've confirmed that the mini and 4G B&W iPods work the same as before.

I still haven't been able to roll back my firmware to v1.0. If anybody could tell me how, I'd appreciate it.

I've probably just missed something really obvious :roll:

I still haven't been able to roll back my firmware to v1.0. If anybody could tell me how, I'd appreciate it.

I've probably just missed something really obvious :roll:

Download it from Apple's website.

I've probably just missed something really obvious  :roll:

Download it from Apple's website.

But... you have to make sure you remove the 1/10/06 updater from the drive first, otherwise, the iPod updater will always use that when launching iTunes.

Remove it and then run the updater again and do a complete replacement of the software on the iPod.

Well, having found that my Mini would still have all the features, I actually opened the updater for the first time. It seems like it has some nice new features, such as size, space used, and format (Mac or Windows)

627668592.png

well, you will have the 1.0 updater on the iPod CD don't chu. so uninstall the new one and reinstall the old one

Using Apple's iPod Updater Utility

Windows and Mac

1. Open up finder and go to your ipod and into the iPod_Control

3. Browse to the folder Device

3. Open the file SysInfo in a text editor.

4. Find the 2 lines that look similar to:

buildID: 0x02208000 (2.2)

visibleBuildID: 0x02208000 (2.2)

In this case, modify the value to be less than the original, eg: decrement the second non-zero value by one and it should look like this:

buildID: 0x02108000

visibleBuildID: 0x02108000

5. Now when you run the iPod Updater, the Update button will be enabled. Press the Update button and your ipod will be updated with the old software.

You totally lost me ipodman. :(

I can't watch any videos on my 60Gig iPod without severe video freezing and audio drop outs. I refuse to restore my iPod to an earlier version while erasing everything at the same time. Is the method you described a way to revert to the previous firmware without erasing, and if so, can you go into a bit more detail for this Panther user?

Thank you!

well it means that you find the sys info file in thie ipod_control/device folder on your iPod, and find the lines (as mentioned above) and change them (also mentioned above). it will make the updater think that your iPod needs updating so it enables the update button and it will say - 1.1 (needs update) but you use the old updater and it will update it with the old software

go to the uninstallation page on the ipodlinux website and it tells you as well.

this is what it will look like when you've hacked it- it let's you update again or downgrade if you have the old installer (above)

updater2gh.png

ipodman...

Ok...I understand the concept...but when I browse my iPod I only see 4 folders (Calendars, Contacts, Notes & Photos).

Here's a screenshot: !ipod.jpg

What am I doing wrong? (btw, my iPod is in Disk Mode)

(Edit)

Thinking this might be a Terminal thing, I did the steps in the Terminal application. I messed with the two string of numbers that you referenced (buildID & visibleBuildID) and when that didn't work I went back in and adjusted the HddFirmwareRev field...still, nothing. In iPod Updater it still states that my iPod is up to date with the current 1.1 version, and when I reopen the SysInfo file all of the fields that I adjusted have been reset. Any ideas?

!ipod2.jpg