Sign in to follow this  
The Professor

iLife '06 and iWork '06 Out For Delivery

I kept the default selection of free shipping when I ordered iLife and iWork Wednesday night, they are now out for delivery with FedEx.

I'll let folks know how it goes.

I think I'll take the excellent advice of our friend Matt Hoult and repair disk permissions before I install. I should back up my Power Mac too, I have nay backed up anything yet this year, well not manually anyway.

I would also recommend checking this link out, Professor.

I ordered my copy on Wednesday morning (24 hours after the announcement) and it was delivered less than 16 hours later. I was really impressed.

Well the biggest change I see so far is in iPhoto, it is hugely improved. I had about 25,000 photos already in iPhoto and it had become slow and cranky.

iPhoto '06 says it can handle 250,000 photos. It sure can handle the ones on my computer. It is much, much faster, and this is especially apparent if you are scrolling through all of the thumbnails for your entire library.

I now have my iPhoto setup to hand off any file to Photoshop for editing if I double-click on a thumbnail, so I have not seen the photo editing features of iPhoto.

iWeb looks really lightweight, too much so for me to mess with it much, it left me cold.

I never used iDVD or iMovie HD enough to be able to tell you what might or might not have changed in those programs.

The biggest difference I see, in the application I use most in the suite, is the increased speed and higher photo capability of iPhoto. I'm glad I got iLife '06 just for that.

Well, I hopped on down the Apple store to get myself iLife '06. Although I wish there was a cheaper upgrade option, I can't argue about the price for a full installable software suite.

I don't have as much photos as the Prof., but it does feel a bit snappier when I browse thru. The full-screen editing is nice and should have been in the iLife'05. The one-step effects is a good feature for those of us without PS, but it is a bit slow doing multiple vignette,etc.

iDVD has added a couple new widescreen theme/menus which I may use in the future. But other than that, I didn't find much new & exciting here.

iMovie cleans up its interface by categorizing the effects under tabbed sections. It also add a couple transition themes as seen in the keynote. Audio FX is something new I think; never noticed in the prior version. Also chaptering, which is probably like what video podcasters are doing such as Rocketboom.

iWeb is a WSYWIG for home users. It reminds me of iWorks Pages that allow you to deliver your document via HTML. So yeah, this is pretty lightweight web editing for mom and pop photosharing/blogging.

Overall, I could have stayed with iLife'05. I only got bitten by the iPhoto's full screen editing. However, it still lags behind Google's Picasa2 in my opinion.

i wish my family all used the Mac OS, ichat with cousins, photocasting to uncles, idisk stuff for my dad, but sadly its only me here. :cry:

i wish my family all used the Mac OS, ichat with cousins, photocasting to uncles, idisk stuff for my dad, but sadly its only me here. :cry:

A lot of us know the feeling; don't worry about that.

I went out and bought my copy along with iwork from the Apple Store yesterday. Also bought a .Mac account with it also. Really loving the integration between the two. :)

I just ordered my copies of iLife and iWork!