Sign in to follow this  
nospoon

iWeb '06 html code question

Hey does anybody know if you can export the html that iWeb creates in to Dreamweaver to clean up the code? From what I read over the TUAW http://www.tuaw.com/2006/01/12/first-look-...-made-with-iweb iWeb outputs less than perfect html code, I know that Dreamweaver does a good job with html, and that's important to me.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can export the site to a folder and ten tweak the HTML in any program you want. There are a few other recent topics on the MacCast Forums that will give you more data on iWeb.

Good luck!

While you can export to a folder and edit it in another program, will Dreamweaver fix the code? or just not make a bigger mess?

If you have Dreamweaver wouldn't it be better to just use Dreamweaver from the start?

I get the impression that if you know enough HTML to realise that iWeb produces bad code, you shouldn't be using iWeb.

While you can export to a folder and edit it in another program, will Dreamweaver fix the code? or just not make a bigger mess?  

If you have Dreamweaver wouldn't it be better to just use Dreamweaver from the start?

I get the impression that if you know enough HTML to realise that iWeb produces bad code, you shouldn't be using iWeb.

That would be the idea. However, as most of you know who work with Dreamweaver professionally, it well, blows. Fortunately, it blows a lot less then anything else that's out there so we really don't have much choice in the matter. I personally was always hoping for a Dreamweaver competitor from Apple, but it doesn't seem like iWeb is it.

- MT

That would be the idea. However, as most of you know who work with Dreamweaver professionally, it well, blows. Fortunately, it blows a lot less then anything else that's out there so we really don't have much choice in the matter. I personally was always hoping for a Dreamweaver competitor from Apple, but it doesn't seem like iWeb is it.

- MT

I completely agree with you both; but I don't believe iWeb was ever supposed to be a competitor and that leaves room for changes in the future (same as Pages and tables still leaves room for a spreadsheet).

There's a very simple fix for that. Just have a "code view" option. That's it. Nothing extra. If the user wants it, it's there. If not, ignore it.

- MT

There's a very simple fix for that.  Just have a "code view" option.  That's it.  Nothing extra.  If the user wants it, it's there.  If not, ignore it.

- MT

A "code view" option isn't going to make iWeb create nicer code, it would just make it easier for people to see how bad it is.

A bigger problem may be that I think iWeb only creates HTML when you tell it to publish. This thread talks about how iWeb will convert text to a .png image when you publish to folder to avoid using CSS. So it seems that iWeb stores stuff in some proprietary format then creates HTML, CSS, Javascript etc when you publish, whether to .Mac or folder.

It seems to me that if you wanted to add any extra HTML, say a flickr link, you could publish to folder and then add the code and ftp it to your webspace, but if you want to edit the page in iWeb again you will lose your extra code as iWeb will go back to the proprietary file to create a new HTML file. I've only used iWeb for 5 mins in a store so feel free to correct me.

iWeb like many Apple product seems to work well if you do things exactly as Apple expects you to, publish to .Mac, don't care about HTML, every one will use iTunes to subscribe to your podcast, but if you do things a little differently things go wrong.

A "code view" option isn't going to make iWeb create nicer code, it would just make it easier for people to see how bad it is.

Are you insane? Are you not familiar with Dreamweaver? I'm not looking for a spyglass function, I'm looking for a way to edit the code myself.

As far as publishing to webSpace and then editing, why would anyone do that?? Why would I publish it and then go edit it?? That's the whole point of iWeb (or supposed to be). For those of us who actually care about our code (and know how to write HTML, JavaScript, ASP, Java and a whole mess of other languages by hand) a code view would be very helpful.

I agree with you that things work well for those who don't deviate from what Apple wants, but Apple is also known for their slogan "think different"; far be it from me to do otherwise.

I think that there's a lot of potential for iWeb and a sizable update is in order. With that, iWeb has a chance to be something decent, regardless if you agree or not. Then again, if you only graze over a tool for five minutes, I'm sure that's the impression you're left with.

- MT

Are you insane? Are you not familiar with Dreamweaver?  I'm not looking for a spyglass function, I'm looking for a way to edit the code myself.

I'm not that familiar with Dreamweaver, but have used other web design programs that allow you to edit the code as you work, as I assume Dreamweaver does. In these programs when you edit something in a WYSIWYG mode the program is editing the HTML, thus you can switch to HTML mode to edit the code your self any time. iWeb seems to only create HTML code when you publish (to .Mac or folder), until then the pages are saved in some Apple format. I don't see any way Apple could add a code edit view to iWeb, as after you have edited the code by hand, you can't use iWeb to edit the page again because the page is now HTML, not iWeb's storage format If you want to even see the code you need to publish to folder then view the code using a web browser or some other program.

As far as publishing to webSpace and then editing, why would anyone do that??  Why would I publish it and then go edit it??  That's the whole point of iWeb (or supposed to be).  For those of us who actually care about our code (and know how to write HTML, JavaScript, ASP, Java and a whole mess of other languages by hand) a code view would be very helpful.

As iWeb doesn't let you see any HTML till you publish, the only way to add some extra code is after iWeb has published to a folder, using some other program. Then if you want to update you webpage at some later time using iWeb you have lost that extra code.

I think we both agree that iWeb isn't for people who want to be able edit or even to the HTML. If you want clean code you can edit iWeb is usless to you.

I agree with you that things work well for those who don't deviate from what Apple wants, but Apple is also known for their slogan "think different"; far be it from me to do otherwise.

I think that there's a lot of potential for iWeb and a sizable update is in order.  With that, iWeb has a chance to be something decent, regardless if you agree or not.  Then again, if you only graze over a tool for five minutes, I'm sure that's the impression you're left with.

With the way iWeb only creates HTML when you publish I don't think it can be "fixed" for people like us, we should find another program.

I've never liked "think different" as slogan, programs like iWeb aren't for people who "think different" they are for people to get a webpage that looks like every other iWeb user's page. iWeb has been out for 2 weeks and already if I click a link to a page made in iWeb to recognise the template instantly.

I agree with you, but my hopes are high. I handle (for my full time job) anywhere from four to five web sites daily with thousands of files combined. With that kind of work load, I don't have time to do everything the "down and dirty" way. Like I said before, Dreamweaver is the best that's out there and that's not saying much. If Apple doesn't release competition for Dreamweaver (which is just a glorified FTP app) then Adobe will fix it. Something has to change and I believe it will.

- MT