Sign in to follow this  
imac66

Virus Software

Well, you don't really need one actually.

I've never even heard of a virus on a Mac.

Just switched to an iMac. Can anyone recommend a virus software package. Thanks.

At this point there really aren't any good antivirus apps available for the mac. It really isn't something that you need at this point in time on the mac.

Norton has one but coming from P.C.s Norton=crap.

the only thing i really do that could be considered security is using a router that acts as a firewall. nothing from a software standpoint.

If you really miss antivirus software you could buy Microsoft Virtual PC, install that, then install the antivirus software in your Virtual PC environment.

If you really miss antivirus software you could buy Microsoft Virtual PC, install that, then install the antivirus software in your Virtual PC environment.

Genius as always Professor. Honestly imac66 there is no real need for any such security software for the Mac. As lunchbox pointed out, the firewall should do you fine. As of yet, there are no reliiable, small footprint, well maintained applications of this type of the Mac platform for exactly this reason.

[Personal Advice: Regardless of platform, hardware, software, OS, connection or death; never, but never install anything from Norton or partners.]

the only thing i really do that could be considered security is using a router that acts as a firewall. nothing from a software standpoint.

OSX does have a halfway decent firewall inergrated into it.

[Personal Advice: Regardless of platform, hardware, software, OS, connection or death; never, but never install anything from Norton or partners.]

Right, Norton's products are impossible to remove.

OSX does have a halfway decent firewall inergrated into it.

I just listened to episode 3 of Security Now. It goes over the differences between software and hardware firewalls. A software firewall is really not a good security method. However, as an Airport has a built in NAT router, anyone using an Airport has a solid hardware firewall.

-Rob

cool i have a airport, :? (umm no virus for macs yet) I would only reccomend antiviurs software if you interact with PCs like forwarding email and if you do it alot too. I heard intego is good but i don't know if there connected to N0rton. I don't like clamshel AV either.

I just listened to episode 3 of Security Now. It goes over the differences between software and hardware firewalls. A software firewall is really not a good security method. However, as an Airport has a built in NAT router, anyone using an Airport has a solid hardware firewall.

-Rob

I couldn't agree more. Any decent router will have a hardware firewall built in that should be adequate for the average user. I recommend US Robotics and Belkin as well as Apple of course.

-Rob

I couldn't agree more. Any decent router will have a hardware firewall built in that should be adequate for the average user. I recommend US Robotics and Belkin as well as Apple of course.

I am in love with my D-Link DI-624.

While I agree with all of the above, I'd add that paying attention to Mac security is important. I don't have AV software installed, but being a .mac member means that I have access to Virex should it become necessary. I've used Norton for Macs in the past, but I have to agree with the general assessment on Norton. It generally causes more trouble than it solves, and that is definitely true in the Mac world.

NAT alone does not a good firewall make.

You need something that does stateful packet inspection. I personally use a Cisco PIX 506e firewall.

Still no need to panic and have anti virus on your Mac (unless running Windows on your Mac!) but if you want that warm and fuzzy feeling of having something run on your Mac, I recommend ClamXav. It's free (which is always a nice price!) and has a real-time protection function included. No reason to pay for software that's not really doing much - so why give Norton or McAfee your money?

If you want security, turn on filevault and if you want software, i say go with intego. but dont pay the high prices for intego net and virus barrier, goto megamacs.com and get a pack for 30 bucks. I was also going to suggest clamXAv because it is free. other than that, i would recommend belkin for network equiptment.DO NOT BUY LINKSYS!!! Buy BELKIN. Linksys has NO SUPPORT For MAC OS! BELKIN at least has some. BOth ratings come from personal and shared experience!!!!

:D