Sign in to follow this  
twitcommander

ITunes is putting spyware on Windows.

Well, it's not entirely accurate, nor is it just on Windows. There was a discussion about this somewhere on here I swear... </me looks around>

Thanks.

Ohh know, a company is looking at something you do in effort to help you and integrate media into your life better. God forbid.

You know, if you dont want good, honest copanies like apple helping you out, then dont plug you computer into the internet. I hope i never run into someone on the street bitching about this. I will slap them down with a fury.

Ohh know, a company is looking at something you do in effort to help you and integrate media into your life better.  God forbid.

You know, if you dont want good, honest copanies like apple helping you out, then dont plug you computer into the internet.  I hope i never run into someone on the street bitching about this.  I will slap them down with a fury.

First off I did not ask apple for help. Second it's my computer not Apples computer. If they ask me when I installed iTunes I would have said yes but they did not ask.

Second your a jerk.

If you can not have a intelligent conversation. Then do not post a reply to my posting please.

SPYaWAREness

http://www.grc.com/SecurityNow.htm#22

http://www.grc.com/sn/SN-007.txt

STEVE: In fact, part of that was the reason I trademarked the phrase "It's MY Computer." Because more and more it seems like people are forgetting that, you know, these are our machines, not their machines that we're just borrowing.

LEO: Yes, that's right.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

STEVE: Well, as Microsoft has now gotten into the game with their anti-spyware tool, that sort of legitimized the notion that this is bad stuff. And people, again, you know, following my trademarked phrase, "It's MY Computer," people are saying, I don't, you know, I want a choice of whether to have this stuff installed on my computer or not.

LEO: Reasonably so.

http://www.digg.com/technology/Latest_iTun...ntains_Spyware_

http://news.com.com/Apples+iTunes+raises+p..._3-6026542.html

I ran Spybot on my Windows 2000 machine and found iTunes spyware.

I do not have a problem if apples ask me if they can read my play list but just ask me before you install spyware on my machine.

Spybot identified itunes as spyware!! I call Shenanigans. Can you post a screenshot?

First off I did not ask apple for help. Second it's my computer not Apples computer. If they ask me when I installed iTunes I would have said yes but they did not ask.

Then disable it. It's an option, not required. It's not a big deal.

Second your a jerk.  

Try to be a bit nicer please.

Then disable it. It's an option, not required. It's not a big deal.

Second your a jerk.  

inis--wrote

I hope i never run into someone on the street bitching about this. I will slap them down with a fury.

To be fair you should also tell (inis) the samething

Second your a jerk.  

Yeah, sql4umitch is a moderator!

Anyone else think we should put an end to this now? Some think it's a big deal, some don't. I think most will admit that it would have been nice to see some warning and have a little more information available on the topic during it's release/update, but it can be shut off and long term; it's not going to effect anyone.

As for the personal issues here; I think it's worth reminding ourselves that being a text based forum it hard to decipher exactly what context a lot of what's said is meant. I am not saying that anyone has misjudged anyone else's comment, but I don't think there was any intended malice here; simply an alternate way of putting across the point. It wouldn't hurt any of us to "play nice" and have intelligent conversation, even disagreements during a discussion as long as we end up respecting each others opinions and ultimately, we don't insult each other.

I do not have a problem if apples ask me if they can read my play list but just ask me before you install spyware on my machine.

Spybot identified itunes as spyware!! I call Shenanigans. Can you post a screenshot?

iTunesSpyware.jpg

Anyone else think we should put an end to this now?

Nah, I ain't had my say here yet.

Some think it's a big deal, some don't. I think most will admit that it would have been nice to see some warning and have a little more information available on the topic during it's release/update

What amazes me here is:

1. How incredibly stupid it was of Apple to fail to included a prominent advisory of what they were doing and how to turn it off. With that simple act, no one would raise an eyebrow - people would check a box according to their preference and be done with it. Instead, it got discovered in the blogosphere and is a spyware nano-scandal. This was so foreseeable. What were they thinking?

2. How many Apple cultists accept it, apparently because it's Apple. MS = Evil, Real = Evil, AOL = Evil, Gator = Evil, Apple = have only the enhancement of our online experience in mind.

Yeah, I'm one of those atavisms who think what I do on my computer is no one else's business.

iTunesSpyware.jpg

Wow! Talk about your all time backfires. Apologies for doubting you.

What are the resolution options? Does it suggest removing iTunes?

iTunesSpyware.jpg

Wow! Talk about your all time backfires. Apologies for doubting you.

What are the resolution options? Does it suggest removing iTunes?

From what I read just disable the mini store and that will stop the spyware. You can read about it here.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?sto...01306&lsrc=osxh

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/11/itune...ate_spies_.html

The sypware I know is not going to hurt my PC. But every peace of software that you install should just let you know what it's installing in your machine.

Anyone else think we should put an end to this now?

Nah, I ain't had my say here yet.

Some think it's a big deal, some don't. I think most will admit that it would have been nice to see some warning and have a little more information available on the topic during it's release/update

What amazes me here is:

1. How incredibly stupid it was of Apple to fail to included a prominent advisory of what they were doing and how to turn it off. With that simple act, no one would raise an eyebrow - people would check a box according to their preference and be done with it. Instead, it got discovered in the blogosphere and is a spyware nano-scandal. This was so foreseeable. What were they thinking?

2. How many Apple cultists accept it, apparently because it's Apple. MS = Evil, Real = Evil, AOL = Evil, Gator = Evil, Apple = have only the enhancement of our online experience in mind.

Yeah, I'm one of those atavisms who think what I do on my computer is no one else's business.

Don't forget Norton.

iTunesSpyware.jpg

Wow!

Second your a jerk.  

lol,go f**k yourself. You gave your opinion, which blew this thing way out of proportion. You are just looking for something to bitch about, when in reality, this incident has caused you no harm. I gave you my opinion about the iTunes thing in general, as well as your reaction. And I took the liberty of generalizing you into a group of people blowing things way out of proportion.

Its an open forum. If you dont want to hear my opinion, dont post yours.

Sorry about the language guys. i know everyone hates it, but i just done feel like taking the time to go up in this reply and erase it. Id much rather waste the same amount of time finishing this pointless sentence, whose only purpose is to waste time in itself.

Second your a jerk.  

lol,go f**k yourself

LANGUAGE! 8-[ :shock: :-$ :-$ =; =; [-X [-X

I find it funny and sad how some Mac user don't think it's Spyware because it comes from Apple. If this came from MS the some people would saying how evil it is. If Apple wants to include this feature it should NOT BE ON BY DEFAULT. The user Who's computer it is, should turn it on if he/she want, and doing so should cause a message saying that data whill be sent back to bace. Yes you can disable it but the average user (not the kind of person who reads these boards) shouldn't have to or even need to know how to.

As Steve Gibson says It's MY Computer, not Steve Jobs'.

What amazes me here is:

I think someone at Apple is getting fired for this. I would imagine that S. Jobs approved this from a marketing standpoint, but for a man with a reputation for high standards in user interface, I don't see how he missed these mistakes:

#1. It's spyware (duh!)

#2. People hate spyware

#3. The mini-store is "yucky." I don't want it taking up space on my screen or in my iTunes window.

I don't get this either. I have always been a huge Apple fanatic, and honestly I don't feel "hurt" by this particular spyware, but this is a big mistake on Apple's part. Sending personal data to any other server without first informing the user should be illegal not accepted, and this is what iTunes is doing.

Did anyone else notice how Jobs "accidentally" forgot to mention several new features in his keynote: spyware (which easily could have been a marketing coup, not this fiasco), battery life, iWeb can be used by non-.mac subscribers, 32 bit vs. 64 bit...others...?

Keynotes like this could make the most staunch Apple supporters Luddites.

-Rob

I really don't see what the big deal is...I find this the same to be "Other users that bought this, also bought this.." type things on Ebay. I really don't think Apple has bad intentions with this particular feature, and I don't know that it is really "spyware" It's a feature of the software, not additional software that you didn't ask for! It also wouldn't suprise me if you agreed to have the information sent back to Apple when you installed the application.

I really don't see what the big deal is...I find this the same to be "Other users that bought this, also bought this.." type things on Ebay. I really don't think Apple has bad intentions with this particular feature, and I don't know that it is really "spyware" It's a feature of the software, not additional software that you didn't ask for! It also wouldn't suprise me if you agreed to have the information sent back to Apple when you installed the application.

Mitch,

It's a big deal because Apple is TAKING information from my computer and sending it to their database WITHOUT telling me. It's different from Amazon, Ebay, or even the iTunes Music Store suggestions because I'm NOT GIVING them the information as part of a purchase; they are TAKING it. This is the definition of Spyware.

I agree that Apple doesn't have any nefarious intentions and I also believe that it could be a useful feature; however, Apple needed to fully disclose what they were doing to the user and give users the option of never having the feature turned on.

Also, I think we probably did agree to using this feature when we clicked "Agree" on the license agreement, but this isn't prominent enough for most users to notice, which is why Apple is getting hit in the head with this issue.

This is a horrible blunder. In an age where people are hyper-aware of privacy issues, no marketing company, lawyer, or CEO should have let this happen. I still think someone is getting fired.

-Rob

Mitch,

It's a big deal because Apple is TAKING information from my computer and sending it to their database WITHOUT telling me. It's different from Amazon, Ebay, or even the iTunes Music Store suggestions because I'm NOT GIVING them the information as part of a purchase; they are TAKING it. This is the definition of Spyware.

I agree that Apple doesn't have any nefarious intentions and I also believe that it could be a useful feature; however, Apple needed to fully disclose what they were doing to the user and give users the option of never having the feature turned on.

Also, I think we probably did agree to using this feature when we clicked "Agree" on the license agreement, but this isn't prominent enough for most users to notice, which is why Apple is getting hit in the head with this issue.

This is a horrible blunder. In an age where people are hyper-aware of privacy issues, no marketing company, lawyer, or CEO should have let this happen. I still think someone is getting fired.

-Rob

why are you bitching about something that you would have thanked apple for if you had just read the user agreement. Thats what its there for. Just because the majority of the population skips over these agreements because they are to lazy to read them, doesnt mean they shouldnt be held responsible for what contained inside them. Its your responsibility to read it. Apple provided it for you.

Save your breath for a company who actually screws you over.

lol, its just like bitching that McDonalds put cheese on your hamburger when you didnt ask them to, but you actually did want cheese. But the fact they didnt ask you first is not ok because you need to feel superior and in control.

why are you bitching about something that you would have thanked apple for if you had just read the user agreement.  Thats what its there for.  Just because the majority of the population skips over these agreements because they are to lazy to read them, doesnt mean they shouldnt be held responsible for what contained inside them.  Its your responsibility to read it.  Apple provided it for you.

Save your breath for a company who actually screws you over.

lol, its just like bitching that McDonalds put cheese on your hamburger when you didnt ask them to, but you actually did want cheese.  But the fact they didnt ask you first is not ok because you need to feel superior and in control.

So you are saying we should wait until we really get screwed before we politely say, "Please stop." (Insert raunchy prison reference here :)) That's like waiting to stop a fire until the forest is gone, too little, too late. If people don't rebel against the little things that are wrong, they have a tendency to trip over the big things. Wrong is wrong whether it affects you or not. People "yelling" about this issue now tells Apple and a whole slew of other companies not to do it with something else in a more nefarious manner. It tells these companies that people do care.

I don't know about anyone else, but I definitely wouldn't thank Apple for adding a store interface into my music player. Even without the spyware, I think it's irritating. I shut it off before I knew about the information exchange.

Your McDonalds analogy is not wholly accurate. Think about the deeper issues, those not related to ego.

I have to ask: Do you, inis, read the user agreement for every product you install? If so, you're among an extraordinarily small group of people. Computer companies are aware that most people don't read the agreement. If they are going to add something like spyware to a product, they know they should make it obvious unless they want to irritate their users. In the end the worst thing Apple has done is irritate its users.

-Rob